Jambands.ca

Stephen Franke and NFTT: March 2,3,4 in Ontario

Stoolshed

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to everyone who came to the shows. As always we had a blast and I feel like I should sleep for a week, but life goes on...by the way Sharon, did you notice that my hottub apparel now has a fulltime home in the closet?

To clear up the A Particular Wave/Lift/gnu thing, I (Stephen Franke) was the keyboard player from A Particular Wave and played keys and guitar in Gnu and the Ragtime Millionaires. Chris Vansickle was the keyboard player from Lift. Ryland Haggis was never in Lift. Brent Norman was Lift's second drummer. Allan Cameron (our new drummer) is the old drummer from Doctor Yellowfever.

A Particular Wave, Lift and The Gnu Ragtimers were all bands from Victoria. We used to play lots of shows together because we shared a scene and on special occasions we would do a A Paricular Lift thing, which was the two bands playing a joint show and joining each other for songs.

Because of the BC ferries making it a pain to get off the island, we have an insulated music scene, so while different genres still don't mingle that much, at least everyone knows each other and is relatively friendly...

Stephen.

ahhhh how i miss GNU... and victoria... find me a teaching job out there wouldya? i meant to ask on saturday, do you still have GNU cds kicking around for sale anywhere? i lent mine to a friend several years ago and haven't seen it since... i'm left with only the cd liner which makes me wistful when i come across it.

that said - it was great to see you guys on saturday, sounding great! thansk for making the trip. :)

I hope the outside treats helped your stumoch

they sure did which allowed me to (almost) resume my true role as dancing maniac for Franke. That guy sure can play guitar and I loved the drummer (just looking at his face and seeing how into it he was), same with all of them. I really like that in a band.

Normally I have a very hard time standing still when there's any music going on, let alone good music.

I don't think I'd ever label myself as too cool for anything but I am shy so sometimes I think I might come off as snotty instead of stupidly frightened of new contact.

Meggo, I don't know how much help I can be on the job front because my indifference to bathing and changing my clothes has ostrasized (sp?) me from the teachering community, but I can definitely bring you a Gnu/ragtime CD next time we come out. I O U. It was great to see you again, we'll be back sooner than later.

Stephen.

The Steven Franke boys were a lot less jazzy this time around.

I agree and it makes me very very sad.

Oh not at all - very energetic' date=' and not in the least conducive to sadness :). I'm still enjoying the vibe.

What did make me sad was the door situation, but I appreciate what kinds of pressures management may have been under. More people, I'm sure, might have been able to get in, but unfortunately Calamity Jane was just off her game that night ;)

I was very glad to have met Monsieur Franke that night (the last thing I remember doing chez Bouche was nearly falling asleep playing Mario Cart). Your tunes are now nice and deeply woven into my subconscious (I mean, in the best possible way).

[Edit to add:'] I'm afraid I can't comment on the toilet paper this time around :).

Edited by Guest
forget to comment on the amenities

The Steven Franke boys were a lot less jazzy this time around.

I agree and it makes me very very sad.

Oh not at all - very energetic' date=' and not in the least conducive to sadness :). I'm still enjoying the vibe.[/quote']

Well then we'll just have to disagree. I'm sad to be apparently losing a fantastic jazz/jam band and picking up yet another rock/pop/grunge/blues/jam/whatever band. Sure they were good but I like jazz and I miss that sound.

I dunno. They're that calibre of band where the categories disintegrated for me, which meant they were really a step beyond.

Well, let's put it in different terms. They used to sound that other way and now they sound this way. I prefer the other way but still enjoyed this way. Not enough bands sound that other way for me. Soulive do. MMW do. Béla Fleck & The Flecktones do. Garaj Mahal do. I like that sound.

:D

What did make me sad was the door situation, but I appreciate what kinds of pressures management may have been under. More people, I'm sure, might have been able to get in, but unfortunately Calamity Jane was just off her game that night ;)

Actually, love, I pulled at least three peeps inta the room without the big bad manager noticing (although he was giving me the evil eye all night b/c I was so damn vocal about the lack of cheap beers (as advertised on their menu!) Pretty sure I won't be making a return appearance at AvartGard anytime soon!

Mattm...great to cross paths

YATS...who is ya? curious to know!

Bouche & Missy H...my heartfelt love & gratitude for your hospitality, as always!

YATS...who is ya? curious to know!

I'm flattered. If my memory served me correctly, you would have seen me in a khaki LRG hat, brown long-sleeved shirt, and black pants, with brown shoes (fashion no-no?) absently working the door, after the door was closed. I have a goatee too, but, all vanity aside. So, I don't know if we met but it looks like I'll be in Ottawa quite a bit in the near future so I'm sure we'll meet soon. :)

Hmmm, thought I'd throw in some thoughts on the lack of jazz thing...

We haven't really changed or done anything different lately and we still have jazz in us, we just played a bit of a different selection of songs. This coming weekend out here on Vancouver Island, we're playing two sitdown shows, one at a small dinner theater and the other at a Church/community hall in Cumberland. Those shows will be far jazzier than you're used to because we'll be focused on catering to an all ages audience.

Sometimes when we dash in and out of Ontario, we like to rock out a bit because we're partying with everyone, and this last weekend we were sucking back tequila, beer and vodka, not to mention that after a full day of travel from Victoria, starting from leaving my house at 5am, catching planes, renting gear, driving to Hamilton, we were riding off of liquid energy alone.

In a perfect world, we'd add lots more jazz in, but we're also conscious of still playing bars, which means it's typically a late crowd, rowdier, and seeing as we still don't even break even yet, we're still focused on doing and playing whatever it takes to build a larger audience base.

We will continue to play and be influenced by jazz, we're just expanding our repertoire, and as well, we're working on a set of folk and old swing jazz tunes.

So we'll be back soon, and at that point we'll be again picking through our repertoire for stuff we feel like playing at the time.

Thanks, see y'all soon. Stephen.

Hmmm, thought I'd throw in some thoughts on the lack of jazz thing...

We haven't really changed or done anything different lately and we still have jazz in us, we just played a bit of a different selection of songs. This coming weekend out here on Vancouver Island, we're playing two sitdown shows, one at a small dinner theater and the other at a Church/community hall in Cumberland. Those shows will be far jazzier than you're used to because we'll be focused on catering to an all ages audience.

Sometimes when we dash in and out of Ontario, we like to rock out a bit because we're partying with everyone, and this last weekend we were sucking back tequila, beer and vodka, not to mention that after a full day of travel from Victoria, starting from leaving my house at 5am, catching planes, renting gear, driving to Hamilton, we were riding off of liquid energy alone.

In a perfect world, we'd add lots more jazz in, but we're also conscious of still playing bars, which means it's typically a late crowd, rowdier, and seeing as we still don't even break even yet, we're still focused on doing and playing whatever it takes to build a larger audience base.

We will continue to play and be influenced by jazz, we're just expanding our repertoire, and as well, we're working on a set of folk and old swing jazz tunes.

So we'll be back soon, and at that point we'll be again picking through our repertoire for stuff we feel like playing at the time.

Thanks, see y'all soon. Stephen.

Thanks for the explanation! It was awesome chatting to you as always. Thanks for entertaining us!