Jambands.ca

Stephen Franke and NFTT: March 2,3,4 in Ontario

Stoolshed

Hmmm... Sorry about the Avant Garde guys...

SF didn't have a venue and it looked like they weren't going to be able to play Ottawa. Somehow I got involved helping...We tried everywhere (and I mean everywhere) and the Avante Garde was less than perfect as its small and didn't have a PA. But at least SF etc would get to do their show and there were cool drinks and cheap beer. So I ended up talking to Alex and hooking up the band, and Dave lent them his PA.

I knew they'd been strict on numbers once before but I didn't think it would be a big deal. So - apologies to those those who didn't get in. That seriously sucks. It is actually a really cool place and the owner is super nice (in an abrupt russian kind of way). There weren't any other options.

I hope those who got in liked the venue... my bad to those who got turned away :( Sorry dudes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, as to the "cheap beer", well, they ran out of Lucky fairly early on...then the 50 ran out...then we finished off the Carlsberg...(I think we started taking it as a challenge: let's see how many brands we can finish off.) At one point, the bartender noted that they didn't usually stock or have much demand for domestic brands. :)

Aloha,

Brad

The venue wasn't without its charm. And I got a kick out of Bouche arguing with the owner in a farcical kind of way. Sure hope Stephen and the lads find a nice regular spot to play in town. Thanks for all your efforts in setting up the show.

Also nice to meet mattm and YATS!

If anyone has any venue suggestions for next time the band is in town I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing them.

I suggested The Bayou in an e-mail exchange with Stephen, but there was already a show booked there for that night that couldn't be moved. (Has anybody been to the revamped Bayou? Mr. Something Something is playing there on Friday, March 24, but I haven't heard any reports yet as to how it is.)

Aloha,

Brad

I have this to say of the venue: it was at least a venue. Without Lara's help and without the venue we couldn't have come to Ottawa at all because everything else was booked. Mavericks wouldn't even return an email, The Rainbow was booked, as was the Bayou, Irene's gave us a date, and when the proposed local band joining us decided not to play the show, immediately gave the date to someone else. Le Petit Chicago was full, The Pourhouse, Zaphod's, etc. We tried everywhere, and I'm a pretty good booker. Problem is, when we come from out of province, we typically have zero flexibility on the date.

So f@ck it. We had a great night, and we're glad we were able to come to Ottawa, and we'll keep coming back. If there's the off chance that anyone knows a local promoter to help put on shows, send them our way.

A big thanks to Lara, Dave and Bouche, because the show wouldn't have gone on without them.

Stephen.

I had a great time. I don't think I said anything to the contrary. There were some venue hiccups due to regulations and an owner trying to keep his liquor license and a lack of cheap booze, but that didn't affect the music or the dance.

Did any of you guys see the 2 drunken cowboys opening?

Hey, I haven't had a chance to check in since I got home, thanks to all for coming out on Saturday night and thanks for your patience. Once we got the capacity issues under control, I thought it was a great night. Awesome to see you all for a night!

sidebar - It reminded me of the night a few years back where our crew visited the Bayou for the first time (for Downtime??) and proceeded to drink the unsuspecting and under-stocked bar out of beer.

The new line-up sounds fantastic Stephen, thanks for having me.

Those "cowboys" were an awesome duo! What a voice the dready chick had!! They referred to themselves at one point as the Barefoot something or others. Is this who you're referring to Bouche?

to SF & NFTTS: an awesome night of music (and one-quater effort for the after-party). Thanks for making the trek and blowing our minds!!!!

To settle the whole "Lift" matter: Original NFTT drummer and Bass player Brent Norman and Dan Mock were members of Lift. Chris Van Sickle (me) was also a member of Lift. Ryland was never a member. Myself, Ryland, Brent and Dan have played in numerous other projects together. Steve is the only former member of A Particular Wave and Ragtime/GNU. Just for the record... thanks y'all for comin out to the last few shows.

Edited by Guest