Jambands.ca

Gibson is making a DIGITAL guitar (seriously)

secondtube

innnnnteresting, i didnt see that one coming at all.....

theres a few good things, you dont lose signal strengh even with a 200 foot cable, and they say you can have a different effect on every string, i think that would just sound weird.

No matter what, you can never beat the sound of analog, whether it be through a musical instrument, recording device or source.

Digital sound is far from perfect. It has limitations. It lacks warmth and the top/high end sounds digitally processed - in recorded music or through an instrument. Still, Gibson has created an expensive toy for home demos and allows for versatility when recording an album.

Look what Pat Metheny was able to do with primitive (and I mean primitive) guitar synth technology when he started out ... it wasn't Hendrix or the blues, but it was interesting and new, thank god. I bet this will be the same.

Steve

Hey! I'm with B&Z, it'll be a different sound. The electric guitar was meant to get around the problems with amplifying an acoustic on-stage and turned out to be a completely different instrument. At best this will be the same thing, it will be another colour like a MIDI guitar or a 12-string or a different tuning or whatever. Some people might do some very cool things with it, but it won't replace electric guitars any more than digital technology replaced acoustic pianos and analog organs.

Interesting stuff thou, thanks for the link secondtube!

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by B & Z:

Look what Pat Metheny was able to do with primitive (and I mean primitive) guitar synth technology when he started out ... it wasn't Hendrix or the blues, but it was interesting and new, thank god. I bet this will be the same.

Steve

As innovative as it is, I never liked Metheny when he strapped on his synclaviar guitar. I don't want to hear the trumpet coming out of Pat's amp. Pat's a visionary and a great musician, but he's not a great trumpet player.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

As innovative as it is, I never liked Metheny when he strapped on his synclaviar guitar. I don't want to hear the trumpet coming out of Pat's amp. Pat's a visionary and a great musician, but he's not a great trumpet player.

I'm not as familar with Metheny's synth guitar work, but guys like Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew have done amazing things with their MIDI rigs, and it's much more than just playing piano or trumpet with the guitar (although they've done that too). Belew on his solo albums in particular does some very neat stuff. He's also a great regular electric or acoustic guitar player, it just depends on what works for the song.

- M.

Playing chops aside, Pat Metheny is a poor artist 9my opinion). his sounds were cheesy and his tunes as well. I also never liked hearing smapled trumpet or bassoon off Jerry's rig, but I must defend digital technology.

Much like Synthesized sounds, digital technology is virtually without bounds. The prevailing notion that analog sounds better than digital is farcical because digital can sound like anything under the sun. the problems come from players and producers who lack experience in using digital sounds. One of the best teacher's I've ever had laid it down like this: In analog, less is more (in terms of effecting the sound). In DSP, the mroe you add, the more you approximate analog sounds. The more effects you add, and the more real-time sequencing you add to those effects, the more the sounds becomes organic. That being said, who the fuck has that much time. I'm sticking with analog baby.

[big Grin]

I love Frank Zappa's music, but I can't listen to his synclaviar-ladened album: " Jazz From Hell ". I like the sound of the guitar in all of it's organic glory. If I want to hear Zappa play the piano, I'd rather he play an actual piano; not a synclaviar programmed with piano sampled bits.

I like Metheny, but I tune out when he plays his synth-guitar. It's fun to watch him play it, but the music that comes from it is teters on light jazz. Plug in your fucking hollow-body Pat and kick my ass!

I like the idea that they have each type of jack, you're good old gibson analog one and then your fancy new digital one...

I know I want one, pluggin straight into your computer with a bunch of funky (downloaded) effects sounds like a hell of a lot of fun...

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Digital sound is far from perfect. It has limitations. It lacks warmth and the top/high end sounds digitally processed - in recorded music or through an instrument. Still, Gibson has created an expensive toy for home demos and allows for versatility when recording an album.

Actually the problem is that digital sound is far too perfect for our ears which have grown up on analog recordings. We miss all the distortion and harmonics that are inherent when you've got transformers, inductors, tubes and tape in the signal path. When tubes are overdriven, transformers saturated, signals driven hard to tape, it all creates harmonics musically related to the source material. Different classes of amplifiers(A single, A push-pull, A differential, AB, B etc) create different strengths of harmonics at various intervals.

The big debate for quite a while was that the Nyquist frequency for CD's was too low, allowing no signals above 22.05kHz onto the final product no matter how many analog stages there were before it. Now we have 192kHz(PTHD and DVD) and 384kHz(DSD, SACD) to overcome this as it's argued the human ear can 'sense' harmonics well out of it's hearing range.

I still haven't quite figured out the acoustic guitar yet, so I stay away from all that electronic stuff, myself. Doesn't bother me that lotsa people play electrics though! Or synthesizers, or making farty noises in their armpits or playing vacuum cleaners or whatever. So long as someone thinks it sounds cool, they'll be right.

For the record, I'd rather hear armpit farty noises than Pat Methany any day.

wow, ya'll need a good dose of good pat metheny.

SO:

here's an unlimited B&P offer,

Pat Metheny 6/23/90

Mellon Hall, Philadelphia PA

Philadelphia Jazz Festival

source: Sbd ?

xfer: Tascam DA-20 > s/pdif [sb live] > HD [forge 4.0 / cdwav] > shn

Jazz guitarist Pat Metheny with some of the greats. Herbie Hancock on

keys, Dave Holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. Excellent

recording, and an excellent show.

disc one:

Shadow Dance 15:30

Indigo Dreamscapes/9 Over Reggae 14.49

Solar 12:59

Silver Hollow 8:29

The Good Life 6:03

disc two:

Blue 7:20

Eye Of The Hurricane 15:12

The Bat 8:25

Cantaloupe Island 9:40

if ya rather hear fart sounds than this...well...

Archived