Jambands.ca

gorge info needed

boogieknight

Okay, flying out to the gorge from toronto and was wondering what on site camping was like. can you sleep in your vechile or is it park and camp? is it crazy hot there, should I bring a shade tent? I'm hoping to avoid bringing a bunch of camping gear but i don't want to get burned by being too lazy to deal with a big pack in the airport.

Saw Phish at the Gorge (in George, Washington) back in July 1998. The camping was in a big field about a mile away from the venue. We were able to drive in and find a patch of ground (it was pretty crowded by the time we arrived) and pitch our tent next to the car. The only shade offered was that of a van parked next to us, there was not a stick of shade anywhere or a tree in sight. The night was spectacular with about a million stars and big open sky, but the venue is basically in the desert region of Washington, and it was about as hot as anything I can remember during the day, couldn't spend an awful lot of time in the tent. Naturally, the campsite party was raging all night, so I'm not even sure if it was worthwhile pitching a tent. You might just want to crash under the stars, or, to answer your question, in your vehicle. [smile]

I was also there in 98. I remember there not being a lot of grass there back then and you really had to search out a nice grassy spot or you were camping in the dirt. I have heard however, there is more grass to be found now. I would definately bring something for shade during the day (Expect the days to be over 100 degrees). I would also bring lots of water. I remember they had two large water tanks on the ground but the water was quite gross tasting.

Hey jesse dont rent a van, just rent some sky diving gear and jump outta the plane just before seattle. Big grand entrence into the lot and you can use the parachute for a tent and shade.

make sure you do something reeeallllleee stupid while your there for me. [big Grin][big Grin][Cool]

Bring shade for sure. And bring lots of water/food, the vending there is usually bad. Also bring cups, b/c in the past they've been sticklers for beer.

As for sleeping in the van - you can, but I bet you won't. It'll be hella hotter the bonnaroo was. It really is desert.

YO! We're heading down from Calgary, Thursday night or early Friday morn. I don't really know a place to hook up with other skancs...anyone??Ill be driving a blue Toyota pick-up, Steal yer FACE on the back. Im hoping to be flying a CDN flag off the back of it. Look for a post come the start of this coming week to see who is going, and where we could meet and stuff...

Been to the Gorge a coupla' times. You definitely won't be sleeping in the van. It's too frickin' hot. You can try, but you'll wanna be in a tent outside- use your van to shade the tent. Bring tons of water, sunscreen, and wear a hat -

I know, I sound like your mother! [big Grin]

You won't be doing a whole lot of sleeping anyway. People will be partying all night, preventing you from getting any decent sleep.

There's a KOA campground on the bank of the Columbia river, just off the interstate as you approach the Gorge from Seattle. I'd recommend camping there.... nice and grassy with a great place to swim, and only a 20 minute drive from the venue... much better than camping in the middle of a desert.

Archived