Jambands.ca

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey - Sunday @ PJC

briguy

The show was amazing. It was off the hook from the first song. They played lots of covers and originals during the two sets.

Some of the covers were Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Flaming Lips and Bjork. I know I'm missing some others.

One of the highlights for me was the Lips cover of Pompeii am Gotterdammerung off the new album, which is very floydish sounding. It was unbelievable.

It was great watching Reid and the rest of the boys up close like that. When reid broke a string in the first set, I was thinking they were going to end the set there but no he quickly restrung the bass and kept going.

I'm sure glad we made the show. I think I enjoyed it even more than the CTMF show last summer which is my only other JFJO experience and it also blew my mind.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were a class act and great players all around but I admit to being quite often bored by them last night. They would grab my attention and then quickly lose it again. I eventually found myself being more interested in the fresh night air then their music.

Hey, ya gotta be honest right? Sorry for the contrary position but that's how they went down for me. Glad to hear some people were blown away.

MAN!

I had a blast last night. Thank Bri for bringing JFJO back to the Hammer. I missed them last year, so I'm glad I caught them this time round.

Highlights for me were when Reid broke his bass string and they never stopped playing. I also enjoyed the cover of Bjork's Isobel and the song Halliburton Breakdown.

Great show! I can't wait to hear the recording.

I can’t wait to hear the recording as well.

I’ve been trying to write a review of the show but I’m stumped. I’m actually still trying to comprehend what I witnessed. I don’t think it would be a far stretch to say they’re possibly three of the best musicians in the world, especially in their age group. I’m sure it helps that I love the tunes they compose and their fabulous choice of covers but that aside I truly believe they’re destined for greatness.

Also thought I should note last year at the end of their performance they told me it was one their best gigs of 2005. It turns out the soundboard is available as an official release and it can purchased through their home page which links you to DigitalSounboard.Net. It’s one of three live releases from 2005 and there’s also a track from Hamilton included on the compilation titled “Scrapbook 2005â€. I thought this was pretty neat considering how many shows they play and the amazing venues they get to perform at.

They’ve had a great time playing in Hamilton and there’s something special about their two shows here. Thanks again to everyone that has supported these gigs.

Cheers

show was incredibly sick good... mesmerizing and utterly caprivating... the band were definately feeling great and in top form... a brilliant performance... alongside whats already been said about the killer shows put on by Reed and the drummer, Brian Haas was killin me with his subtle genius... inspires me to build a coffee table out of my grade 6 classical piano certification... like listening to Phil Lesh, I always find myself wondering "what the hell is he doing?" and just being amazed by how such a wildly spontaneous approach can feel so right in the moment

my favorite JFJO show to date... which, considering how utterly speechless I was after their initial Saturday night performance up at Izzy's, is sayin a lot

many thanks to all involved