Jambands.ca

Bluesfest lineup online

Velvet

you guys are quick.

actually, I've got Army's on Ecstacy on the brain after listening to Oysterhead on my iPod this afternoon. I loved that band.

The Army's on ecstasy so they say

I read all about it in USA Today

They stepped up urine testing to make it go away

'Cause it's hard to kill the enemy on ol' MDMA

The story on canoe suggests...

Crowding and liquor licence issues last year -- staff at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario suggested the festival was serving more people than was allowed -- forced the change, but Monahan said it also reflects the overall quality of the music being offered at Bluesfest.

YEAH RIGHT! The capacity is not the problem, it's the goddamn LAWNCHAIRS that take up the space of 4 people! Notice that he said 'crowding' and didn't really mention that there was more people than they could really hold.

Guest Low Roller
I'm pretty excited too...but they seem to be missing the one REALLY BIG headliner.

B.B. King is playing the Montreal Jazzfest, maybe he'll be a last minute addition to the Ottawa Bluesfest?

The Grand Mothers!

Wednesday, July 12 at 9:30 pm on the Black Sheep Stage

The Ottawa Bluesfest is proud to announce that the Grande Mothers, featuring original and former members of "The Mothers of Invention" will be performing the music Of Frank Zappa at Bluesfest ’06.

The Grande Mothers re-invented are: Napoleon Murphy Brock, vocals, tenor saxophone, flute, suavenicity and dancing (with FZ 1974 - 1984); Roy Estrada, bass, Pachuco Falsettos and operatic madness (with FZ 1964 - 1984); Don Preston, piano, keyboard synthesizers, electronics and vocals (with FZ 1966 - 1974). Also featured are: Miroslav Tadic, stunt guitar, snake guitar and loud guitar; and Christopher Garcia, drum set, percussion, marimba and vocals.

In August 2002, three former members of the “Mothers of Invention” united for the first time to perform the music of Frank Zappa. It was to be a special one-time performance to be held in Leipzig, Germany, commemorating the 10th anniversary of Frank Zappa’s death. The event was recorded, filmed, and released by Warner Classics in Europe. The evening would consist of classic Frank Zappa material as well as new music written by Don Preston for the band and chamber orchestra. It would also be the first time that three former members of the Mothers of Invention would re-unite and take the stage as a group. The same alumni who helped create classics like: Freak Out, Absolutely Free, We’re Only in it for the Money, Uncle Meat, Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere, and One Size Fits All.

The performance was so well received that The Grande Mothers have since performed over 60 three-hour concerts across America, Canada, and Europe to standing room audiences everywhere, proving that “they can still do that thing on stage” – ANYTHING ELSE IS NOT AN ORIGINAL!

The Grande Mothers have gone on to be headliners at the 2003 Frankfurt Jazz Festival, the

14th annual ZAPPANALLE FESTIVAL in 2004, and at concerts across North America and Europe including Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, England, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, and Switzerland.

"This isn't just another comeback by some old rock fogies; this is the reincarnation of the "Mothers"! . . . Once again the Zappa jazz-rock big band sound of the 70s and 80s rang out. The amazing virtuoso caliber displayed by the Grand old men must have surprised everyone. Hats off!" – LEIPZIG-ALMANACH

• 3 weeks later...