Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Black Crowes @ Massey Hall

deranger

You'll see my red shaggy head 3rd row floor left of centre. Pretty much the same seats I had for their last performance at Massey Hall ten years ago.. The show in 96 was a complete rager and security was very relaxed. I hope the situation is the same for this one.

The Black Crowes

October 17, 1996

Massey Hall

Toronto, Ontario

Let Me Share The Ride

Gone

Sloppy Drunk

Bring On, Bring On

Seeing Things

A Conspiracy

Somebody's On Your Case

Thunderstorm 6:54PM

Thorn's Progress Jam

Thorn In My Pride

Thick N' Thin

P.25 London

Hot Burrito #2

Could I've Been So Blind

No Speak No Slave

Good Friday

Girl From A Pawnshop

Silver Train

Twice As Hard

What a great show that was.

I was there too, I remember stumbling in pissed on SoCo and dancing like a maniac. Chris was RAIL thin at the time and a reviewer the next day mused aloud what the rest of were thinking that night "how does a guy that skinny and frail looking sing with such power?"

Anyway, it was a great show and I hope tonight is as good or better. Almost 10 years later...

Thank you Rock Gods for bringing the Crowes back to the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cursed Diamond

Wiser Time

Hotel Illness

Lay It All On Me

Soul Singing

Welcome To The Goodtimes

Up On Cripple Creek (1st time played)

Downtown Money Waster

Jam -> Thorn In My Pride

Alabama

Descending

No Speak No Slave

Remedy

Twice As Hard

- encore -

Instant Karma!

From the setlist you guys got an awesome show. Descending and Slave, back to back. I woulda lost it. And of course I missed it by one freakin' day.

Hope there are some nice clean recordings of this.

AD

Instant Karma was fantastic as an encore, best Soul Singing I've heard and just an all around great show!

I didnt realise that was the first time they played Up on Cripple Creek, sweet! After Thorn in my Pride I was thinking to myself "oh Alabama would be great tonight" and they as if they were reading my mind they went right into it!

yay!

That was such a treat !!! Thanks Again !!!

I loved Robinson's speel on raves...funny stuff

"Any time you can play a couple of hours of music in a beautiful venue that doesn't have a rave afterward, that's great," Chris Robinson said early in the proceedings. "I'm not saying Ecstasy is bad, but if it makes you listen to that type of music, it must be evil."

what a fantastic show :)

Alabama was intense :D

Edited by Guest

Fantastic show, Instant Karma really did kick ass and for the record, Rich sang lead on Up on Cripple Creek and did a great job of it (the rest of the band sang backup on the chorus). Alabama was a highlight for me and Marc did an awesome job singing lead on that one. Great show and I was also very happy with the rare jems "Lay It All On Me" and "Welcome to the Goodtimes" - haven't heard those busted out in awhile. Also and excellent jam on Downtown Money Waster. The crowd was pretty good for a Toronto audience. Most of my section on the floor stood for the whole show. Slower tunes some people sat down but all in all a good response and very appreciative crowd. Massey Hall ushers were really nice, letting people dance in the aisles and generally not hassling anyone.

Yeah it was all for nothing. Ed didn't play a show back in March because he left Florida early to go back to Detroit for the superbowl and Crowes fans freaked thinking he had left the band. Part of the problem was the band didn't make any comment on his absence for the show and the fans assumed the worst when there was no reason to be concerned.

Also, it shoud be noted since the Crowes reunion they have refused all media interview requests, which may contribute to why a douche like billy seems a little jilted.