Jambands.ca

Single joint leads to trafficking charge for high school student

SevenSeasJim

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing makes me sick. There are homeless people and tonnes of sweatshops (to me, somewhere that pays nothing for incredibly shitty work to benefit the rich, westerners, is a sweat shop, it need not have kids though many still do, they just don't mention it) and gun violence, the environment, and loads of other shit. That this is even a topic (not the thread, the question of the legality of weed) is disgusting and stupid. That taxpayers have to foot the bill for court time and jail time for weed is just as ridiculous.

I'd also love to see a real poll of canadians on the topic. I'm not talking 3000 people and saying that represents the voice of canada, I'm curious to know what canadians actually think. I bet you'd have a very large amount that don't really want their tax money going to keep potheads in jail.

I also bet that if parents jumped into reality and realized that their children are trying weed and may have their future's taken away, they'd really start thinking. Then again, they'd probably just jump into the "not my kid" paradigm (as the kid is sneaking joints and beers right past them).

Guest Low Roller
I'd also love to see a real poll of canadians on the topic. I'm not talking 3000 people and saying that represents the voice of canada, I'm curious to know what canadians actually think. I bet you'd have a very large amount that don't really want their tax money going to keep potheads in jail.

You realize the irony of suggesting a poll that costs millions to conduct on the scale of which you speak in order to ask Canadians how to spend their tax dollars, right?

I also bet that if parents jumped into reality and realized that their children are trying weed and may have their future's taken away, they'd really start thinking. Then again, they'd probably just jump into the "not my kid" paradigm (as the kid is sneaking joints and beers right past them).

I'd say my kids future would be taken away anyways if he became a chronic weed smoker.

Guest Low Roller
I'd say my kids future would be taken away anyways if he became a chronic weed smoker.

Are you suggesting that people who chronically smoke marijuana don't have a future? Just curious.

I wouldn't go that far. Everyone has a future.

What I meant was that at an age where the brain is capable to handle the most information, and where the bulk of a person's development and learning occurs, I think the use of pot would prevent someone from achieving their full potential due to marijuana's effects on short-term memory.

I actually saw a quote like that on freedominion.ca, in response to a different news article.

I have paraphrased it somewhat.

Unfortunately, I can't go to freedominion.ca to get the actual quote because Bouche got our whole office banned from that site.

well, you can setup a different proxy temporarily in your browser and get into freedominion.ca pseudo-anonymously. I did it here the other day.

and that ban was built up over time thanks to mr. Harding!

What I meant was that at an age where the brain is capable to handle the most information, and where the bulk of a person's development and learning occurs, I think the use of pot would prevent someone from achieving their full potential due to marijuana's effects on short-term memory.

Now these are the sort of anecdotal comments that sound logical, but are really not based on any evidence. They simply fuel the fire. Speaking about "potential" is simply theoretical.

Of course, there is no way to determine whether someone's potential has been curtailed due to chronic pot use. That said, what if I told you that I personally know people who are (by any description) chronic marijuana users, and have been for more than 20 years; since Junior High School? Such people have achieved graduate degrees, professional degrees, and have excelled in professional positions.

Does that change your opinion?

Guest Low Roller

Although I worded it that way, I really should avoid sweeping generalizations. There are of course exceptions to everything.

But then for every kid that smokes up yet becomes a lawyer, there is certainly a kid that smokes up and goes the opposite way. I just don't want to play the odds when it comes time to raise my kids, that's why I suport schools being drug-free evironments.

Hux nails it on the head.

First, I didn't say that any of these people became lawyers.

Second, you are simply reiterating anecdotal comments, that I don't see supported by evidence. Anyone can assert anything.

In fact, did you know that eating spinach may cause a kid to have less potential in life? Sure; some kids eat spinach and become doctors, but for every one of those, there is certainly a kid that eats spinach and goes the opposite way...

Guest Low Roller

I can't prove anything. I have no sources for anything. And neither does anyone else for that matter regardless of what side of the debate you're on. ;)

So if I read the vibe correctly in this thread, everyone is fine with pot being readily available to minors?

In fact, did you know that eating spinach may cause a kid to have less potential in life? Sure; some kids eat spinach and become doctors, but for every one of those, there is certainly a kid that eats spinach and goes the opposite way...

And some of them become addicted to the stuff, and end up with weirdly shaped arms and legs, smoking pipes, sporting tattoos, and having a very weird manner of speaking...

Aloha,

Brad