Jambands.ca

Single joint leads to trafficking charge for high school student

SevenSeasJim

Single joint leads to trafficking charge for high school student

Last Updated Wed, 17 May 2006 08:29:43 EDT

CBC News

A Newfoundland and Labrador high school student is facing a charge of trafficking following an incident involving a single marijuana cigarette.

(CBC)

The female student is facing a charge of trafficking, which involves selling, bartering or simply giving someone illicit drugs.

Officials at the student's school in Blaketown, Trinity Bay, called in the RCMP after receiving a tip about marijuana use at Crescent Collegiate.

RCMP Cpl. Phil Feltmate said the police wanted to educate students about the seriousness of the incident.

"We're trying to get a message out to other kids or like-minded people around all the schools … that we are promoting zero tolerance," Feltmate said.

"Moving … from one person to another is considered trafficking, whether it's one joint or 10 tonnes. It doesn't make a big difference with respect to the definition."

RCMP are still investigating the case, and further charges may be laid.

Bob Buckingham, a St. John's defence lawyer who is not affiliated with the case, said that while everyone wants schools to be safe, the trafficking charge is heavy-handed.

"The individual could end up with a criminal record. It could affect schooling; it could affect getting a passport; it would show up on records, given [the way] records are kept these days, for border crossings and things like that," Buckingham said.

Buckingham said he hopes the Crown prosecutor's office takes a close look at the case.

Feltmate said while police sometimes issue warnings about marijuana use, the trafficking charge was laid because the incident was determined to have taken place inside a school.

Feltmate said Crescent Collegiate has had little experience with drug use in recent years.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It serves them right. 'Pot' is illegal in this country and it's about time our police forces start respecting the law and laying the appropriate charges. More charges will lead to more sentences and more jail time. Jails are big business and business is good for the economy. Charging drug offenders will mean a greater burden on our police forces which will require more police. That means more jobs and jobs are good for the economy. More arrests will mean a decrease in 'Pot' use. 'Pot' relaxes people and makes them lazy. Lazy people are unproductive. Less 'Pot' will mean more productive people and productivity is good for the economy.

This is a capitalist society and as such, our well-being is directly tied to the health of the economy. Anything that improves the economy improves the well-being of our society.

I don't see how anyone could be upset about this. Put down the bong and go get a job as a police officer or a correctional officer.

I think you're forgetting that strict sentences and mandatory jail for growers, etc. will act as a deterrent and should virtually eliminate the use of illegal drugs in Canada likely by the 3rd or 4th Harper Majority Government.

....welcome to Stephen Harper's Canada.

wasn't aware that Harper re-wrote the criminal code... or that he has jurisdiction over the police...

kid was stupid bringing drugs to school. don't blame it on anything other than that.

AD

[color:purple]I think it's great. She should be charged with trafficing. Just remember, when she grows up (and when those she shared with grow up) they will get into much stronger drugs, weed being a gateway, and probably into a lot of violence to support their habbit.

Or, I'd rather that they stop wasting my damn tax money on stupid shit like this. While the RCMP are investigating this they are taking resources away from actual serious problems such as violence and that is just dumb.

I think you're forgetting that strict sentences and mandatory jail for growers, etc. will act as a deterrent and should virtually eliminate the use of illegal drugs in Canada likely by the 3rd or 4th Harper Majority Government.

Luckily, for the future of this country, we are going to realize this dream. The Conservatives will have an easy time acquiring a majority during the next election as long as they continue to expose to extreme corruption and lack of accountability that was the Liberal party. Viva Harper! Viva drug-free military state Canada. I can finally start feeling safe having children in this country. God Bless you Stephen Harper. God Bless Canada.

wasn't aware that Harper re-wrote the criminal code

(Police Forces respond to external forces such as a Government's intentions or anticipated changes to laws - noone denies this, but you will)

When it comes to crime, it is the new government’s firm commitment to finally respond to the concerns of police, prosecutors, and most importantly, ordinary Canadians. We will propose changes to the Criminal Code that will mean serious time for serious crimes.

From: Speech for the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, Vic Toews, Q.C.

University of Western Ontario Law School, 12 April 2006. London, Ontario

Guest Low Roller

The focus on drug deterence should be on a high school level as that is when most people try 'pot' for the first time. I would say it's tax money spent correctly.

It serves them right. 'Pot' is illegal in this country and it's about time our police forces start respecting the law and laying the appropriate charges. More charges will lead to more sentences and more jail time. Jails are big business and business is good for the economy. Charging drug offenders will mean a greater burden on our police forces which will require more police. That means more jobs and jobs are good for the economy. More arrests will mean a decrease in 'Pot' use. 'Pot' relaxes people and makes them lazy. Lazy people are unproductive. Less 'Pot' will mean more productive people and productivity is good for the economy.

This is a capitalist society and as such, our well-being is directly tied to the health of the economy. Anything that improves the economy improves the well-being of our society.

I don't see how anyone could be upset about this. Put down the bong and go get a job as a police officer or a correctional officer.

Here Here! While we're at it, we must codemn all the evil sodomites and their homosexual agenda!

The focus on drug deterence should be on a high school level as that is when most people try 'pot' for the first time. I would say it's tax money spent correctly.

It's also when most people try alcohol... THE biggest gateway drug of them all.

(Police Forces respond to external forces such as a Government's intentions or anticipated changes to laws - noone denies this, but you will)

I won't deny it actually, of course that's true. I just think it's quite a stretch for you to link Harper's vision of government to a pot arrest in Labrador.

When it comes to crime, it is the new government’s firm commitment to finally respond to the concerns of police, prosecutors, and most importantly, ordinary Canadians. We will propose changes to the Criminal Code that will mean serious time for serious crimes.

I have no problem with people going to jail, or governments enforcing laws, whether they or previous governments write them. And in this case, if you wanna get technical, 'We will' is different than 'We have.'

AD

Guest Low Roller

But alcohol is legal.

But alcohol is legal.

Thus the hypocrisy of our society when it comes to mood altering drugs.

Guest Low Roller

Yeah probably. Trafficking is probably impossible to prove. It's mostly a scare tactic.

Underage drinking is not legal, but I don't know what kind of penalties are imposed by the law in that case.