Jambands.ca

Open Letter to Cavern

kung

My mother always said:

"If you don't have nothing nice to say, become a politician."

I think that Kung's abilities to stir "the pot" are being wasted on us feeble minded. Take your (for lack of a better word) anger and get on up to Parliament and fight for something FOR the people instead of amassing AGAINST the people.

I once likened Kung to a cockroach. A giant pain in ass that is very hard to get rid of and yet, an evolutionary masterpiece bent on survival no matter what the cost.

That is not to say that you are a cockroach, just LIKE one. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

... are often the people whose character has some distinction irregardless of the music altogether.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

We all have different gifts and mine is writing...

Alright... I'm going to be a completely different kind of asshole, and point out that your gift for writing has led you astray, as there is no such word as "irregardless". [Razz][Razz]

Kung - you're a smarty pants that definitely has a talent.

I appreciate your intellectualis but I think that you're really expecting people to be more than they're willing to be while not giving them enough credit to be able to afford the luxuries that go along with a moral high ground.

Understanding that you don't focus your writing in the most positive of ways makes me really wish you had a knack for writing like the dalai lama - your ideas are there but sometimes i wish i had some brie by the computer.

i hear it goes nicely with your whine.

I myself think that it's too bad from one perspective that drugs come into play so heavily in our scene, but I think that the problem isn't the drugs it's that the people taking the drugs are using them from the point of view of a spectator and not using the experiences to uplift. I'm in that boat myselof at times, but I don't thik drugs are wrong...just often times overused.

Not to turn it to a drug debate but i always think it's so silly that i'm partying with a lot of people and most of them are intoxicated. the ones that are really high and having fun and think they might have bumped into someone because they sway a bit always apologize about it.

if your'e really sorry and if you SHOULD really be sorry then don't waste your time apologizing, stop taking the drugs.

most people keep doing them thus proving the point that they might not be in the right headspace and confidence level to be taking them or are wasting their money because they're becomeing insecure about making mistakes.

but then again i never heard anyone really complaining about spending 20 bucks to step on people, ramble incessantly, and forget to use vowels in conversation.

to me, that's what's wrong with drugs in our scene...time wasted apologizing and feeling insecure.

I'm CERTAINLY not straightedge and that i'm proud of.

I rarely have anything to apologize about.

I don't rant about how people suck - sorry...could be better people.

I think on a whole we're more enjoyable to be around when we're partying even if we're a bit loopy.

Maybe us hippy folk should fight a lot more. it'd save people writing about their differences on the internet for everyone to read and wonder why someone's whining on the internet. Personally, I like all of you guys and girls and think that we've all got our shortcomings.

if someone treats me poorly i just think that it sucks that people are idiots, leave it at that, and talk to people who don't act like assholes to me.

if it's really a problem any asshole in question won't have too many friends for very long. if that's not the case then you can always make new friends.

why do people always look for acceptance from america? just because we like jambands doesn't mean we have the same scene...just similar fans with good taste irregardless of music (it's a double negative to if you think about it it actually makes sense and is a word even though not in the dictionnary - linguistic theory lends itself to poeticism quite nicely and i think kung sometimes understands that too)

quote:

Originally posted by Canned Beats:

...just similar fans with good taste irregardless of music (it's a double negative to if you think about it it actually makes sense and is a word even though not in the dictionnary - linguistic theory lends itself to poeticism quite nicely and i think kung sometimes understands that too)

Nope.

"Regardless" means "without regard". If "irregardless" was a word, it would mean "not without regard", which, of course, means "with regard".

Kung's original statement:

"What I was trying to get at in my mush letter is that the people we connect with in this scene and don't, the sub cliques and what not, are often the people whose character has some distinction irregardless of the music altogether. "

Since his point is that we connect (or don't connect) with people in the scene for reasons beyond (or notwithstanding, or regardless of) music (but rather, because they are somehow distinctive to us), using the non-word "irregardless" would imply that we connect with specific people because of (with regard to) music.

God, I'm such a fucking nitpicker... [Embarrassed]

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

Yeah, I'm with you Mr. Musicface. Max Webster rocks. Too bad about all that "Featuring Kim Mitchell" stuff. Ah, well.

Oh man, all this talk about Max Webster got me excited, so I just downloaded "Here Among The Cats" off KaZaa.

I got rock and roll shoes

I got T.V. blues

And i don't have any friends

Here among the cats

Here among the cats

Ahh, I should've been a doctor...

Peace,

Mr. M.

Since we're on the topic of dancing, I've always found it interesting that two different people can emerge from a great show feeling entirely satisfied when one of them danced all night and the other sat in the back. Similiar comparisons can be made for someone on drugs and someone not on drugs, although that's less common. We're all looking for different things from the musical experience, and whether that's tripping your ass off or studying Lauzon's effects pedals it's entirely up to you. Different Strokes (cue theme song now) for different folks.

The old adage that drugs "amplify" is 100% true for me. They can make bad music sound good, they can make bad music sound worse, and now and then they'll make good music sound not so good. I'll generalize my views on what's preferable by using The Slip as an example. I've seen them on Mushrooms a few times. I've seen them stoned a few times. I've seen them straight a few times. They've been great everytime. I now prefer to see them straight as an arrow (save a pint or two) because the emotions and feeling their music provides does not need amplification. It's already cranked to 11. But I don't have less respect for someone who takes acid before a Hall and Oates show (Sorry, couldn't hold back)....whatever puts you in the right frame of mind and maxes your appreciation of the music.

As for the Kung topic, I think those of you who don't understand why he writes what he writes should meet him in person, because I don't think I know anyone more passionate about this scene, nor someone who can elucidate his feelings on the topic quite as well. I don't see this as Kung being holier than thou, perhaps self-interested but not talking down. Besides, how many of us know a computer geek who, in 30 seconds, can talk right over your head about techhie subjects? Isn't this the same concept but with a "groovier" subject?

Lastly, it's important to keep in mind just how misrepresented people on the internet can be. How many of us are 100% the same in person as we are here? Does a message board, or email convey the emotions and character and body language that face-to-face dialogue does? Do people who would normally be shy and quiet find it easy to spout off and step on other when doing so behind the guise of the internet? Of course they do. As you read this 25 million 4'9" computer geeks are writing the word "fuck" more times than Eddie Murphy says it in Raw. It's anonymous and you have nothing to lose.

Not to immisce myself too deeply in this, but as long as opinions are given... [smile]

I just pay the cover charge, listen to the band, and if I like them, I dance. Sometimes, I start accessing whatever space they play from and start knowing exactly when they'll change key signatures, tempo, instruments, whatever, and play along with it. (It may well indeed be an anomaly that I can do this without external drugs; believe me, there's plenty going on inside my brain that I can't say I'm not "on" something.)

So far, every band has been receptive to my... unique form of dancing. So far, most of the audience has been accomodating, and I've certainly tried to accomodate them; Despite being there for myself, I wouldn't want to spoil someone else's enjoyment of the band by being the "asshole who jerked around in my face all the time" (no one has said that, for the record; it's just something I don't want to be).

Beyond that, I read the Sanc occasionally to have an idea what's behind the scene, what's in the scene, what is the scene; to see what I may have in common besides the music with the others who like the music. Kung rightly said that we can find a rather odd assortment at shows, all touched by the vibes from the stage if nothing else. In my case, it's not much else, but I'm odd anyway. Ask bradm or arcane...

That's about it. Thanks for reading.

Archived