Jambands.ca

Pitchfork reviews Bonnaroo

Guest Low Roller

So what' date=' Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.[/quote']

Big Hairy deal someone's questioning the quality of the Pitchfork review.

The above response is pretty knee jerk in it's own way don't you think?

Deeps

So what, Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your boring rock outta my mind expanding jams! }:(

Keep your closed mind away from my open mind.

Correction: I will keep my extreamly critical and selective tastes' date=' when it comes to anything rock oriented, out of your very inclusive and expansive tastes.[/b']

Look, it's cool if you dig those bands or the whole EMO thing. Whatever. My tastes don't have to be everyones that's for sure. Life would be boring that way.

And my mind isn't closed at all. It's not like I haven't listened to the albums and live shows of the bands I'm am criticizing. I have. I have taken the time to do my homework so I can make a personal and educated comment.

It's simply my opinion. And my opinion right now is that the music scene in general in innondated with very similar sounding uninspired rock based fodder. My angst towards it is that it is everywhere and to some degree unavoidable. I mean if you are going to a alt/emo/mainstream contemporary rock show, then cool expect to hear it. Fine, makes sense that's cool.

I simply hold rock to a very high standard as it is very easily abused and done poorly, most of the time.

What makes me irriated is when I got to say...a club to hear a breaks DJ or something and halfway through the set he starts playing "Queen's of the Stonege" remixes or the like. Or when I go to a festival founded on left of center bands, and improvisation and many of the headliners are straigh up rock that I can hear on CFNY right now.

I guess I'm just overdosed on really predictable rock as it permiates everything these days...even new jazz.

If I want middle of the road rock I'll go for that but I don't like it shoved down my throat a t every turn.

That's what I'm saying. If I didn't have an open mind I wouldn't even consider any of this, nor would I take the time to know the music, the scene or the player involved and how it is influencing every musical genre it seems.

Edited by Guest

yup, your opinion is definitely your opinion. i guess that's the beauty of bonnaroo, everyone goes to a different festival at the same venue.

more on the diversity of bonnaroo in my review to be posted tomorrow hopefully.

AD

Edited by Guest

So what' date=' Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.[/quote']

Deeps

So what, Bonnaroo got an ambivalent review. Big hairy deal. Last time I checked pitchfork was really rather excellent.

Steve - I sincerely don't understand your objection to my post. Knee jerk or not, I stand by it. I really don't see what the big deal about this article could possibly be. It's not even a negative review. Sure the guy gets in a few pot-shots along the way, just like the responses to it here did too.

Nothing is immune from criticism.

My objection would be that it seems that you believe that people are irrationally flipping out over the review when from where I sit it seems that they are making pretty reasonable critiques.

I don't think anyone's throwing themselves on the floor about any of this...so the Big Hairy Deal portion of the argument really gives off a "you people are idiots" kind of vibe....and one I've seen from your corner before when people speak on reviews, hence the knee jerk accusation....I dunno I'm just challenging you.

Deeps

Ps I just came back from egging your house

yup, your opinion is definitely your opinion. i guess that's the beauty of bonnaroo, everyone goes to a different festival at the same venue.

more on the diversity of bonnaroo in my review to be posted tomorrow hopefully.

AD

Agreed AD. And yes diversity is very important in the Bonnaroo dynamic.

Look forward to your pending review. :)

Hmmm I think the tohught of driving 14 hours to drink and get high is not what's (ahem)driving people around here to go.

I can drink and get high here and with way less chance of getting thrown in jail.

I went for the music...drugs are neat.

Deeps

Hmmm I think the tohught of driving 14 hours to drink and get high is not what's (ahem)driving people around here to go.

I can drink and get high here and with way less chance of getting thrown in jail.

I went for the music...drugs are neat.

Deeps

Well, 14 hours to drink AND enjoy some music. Just wondering if you'd make that same drive knowing you were going to a dry event. Be honest now.