Jambands.ca

NUFUNK FRIDAY JULY 21 - SLOWCOASTER & HOUSE OF ROCK @ HOOCH

Jay Funk Dawg

894407967_l.jpg

www.nufunk.ca and www.houseofrock.ca presents...

FRIDAY, JULY 21st

TOM FUN ORCHESTRA

SLOWCOASTER

CARMEN TOWNSEND & THE SHAKEY DEALS

NUFUNK FRIDAYS

The Hooch - 815 Queen St.

upstairs of Gypsy Co-op / 2 blocks west of Bathurst

www.gypsyco-op.com www.nufunk.ca www.houseofrock.ca

Well here we go! Four sheets to the wind and up the bend,... the House of Rock music collective is making the summer nights golden with the "House of Rock Invincible Summer Tour". A big blue whale of a bus is transporting the likes of Slowcoaster, Carmen Townsed with her Shakey Deals, and the Tom Fun Orchestra into Eastern Canada's live music hotspots for the month of July. The "House of Rock Invincible Summer Tour"

883782567_l.jpg

SLOWCOASTER

www.houseofrock.ca

Cape Breton's Slowcoaster plays up beat saltwater funk rock hip-hop jazz Afro-Cuban reggae grooves on guitar, bass guitar, drums, percussion and voice. The by's combine above average musicianship with guitarist / vocalist Steven MacDougall's stellar songwriting to produce a danceable, sing-alongable, funny, affecting, noir-ish set of music that's both as "tight as a whip" and just a bit sketchy.

704870869_l.jpg

Tom Fun Orchestra

www.myspace.com/tomfunorchestra

. . . the sound of exotic birds standing on the sides of forgotten highways, flapping their wings in the winds of speed-induced truckers ... and there they were

454564621_l.jpg

CARMEN TOWNSEND & THE SHAKEY DEALS

www.carmentownsend.com

Growing up on Cape Breton Island, Carmen’s love affair with music began early. By age six she was locking herself in her dad’s Chevy and singing along to The Doors. Experimentation with piano and guitar soon led to formal lessons while the discovery at age fourteen of the talents of Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Blind Melon and Nirvana unearthed an obsession with innovative vocal styles. Solo performances at variety shows eventually lead to a gig as lead vocalist/rhythm guitar player for indie pop quartet Q. The popular band released an independent CD, toured extensively through Atlantic Canada, and filmed two videos that received airplay on Much Music landing the band opening slots for Our Lady Peace, Change of Heart, Sunfish and Thrush Hermit. After four years with Q, Townsend headed to Vancouver and hooked up with fellow Maritimers to form Scheck. Scheck played extensively across Canada and relocated to Toronto where they released an independent CD and continued to tour Eastern Canada. The band enjoyed a dedicated fan base and played with such acts as Ember Swift and The Rheostatics, with whom Carmen was asked to perform live on three separate occasions in Toronto. After twelve years of rock bands, Townsend decided to return home to the ocean to nurture her own sound. With the help of Newfoundland native guitar phenom/producer Dwayne Gale, Townsend put together an EP of home recordings called Stay Tuned, whose single Exit 3 can be heard on local radio and has been played regularly on the CBC. Since returning to the East Coast, Carmen has been winning over audiences with her refreshingly unique sound, unusually energetic live show, and soaring, dynamic vocal talent. She has landed opening performances for Blue Rodeo, Matt Mays and El Torpedo, Slowcoaster, Rock Ranger, The Jimmy Swift Band, and Buck 65. Carmen has recently been awarded two showcase performance slots at the East Coast Music Association Weekend in February '06 and was just named the winner of the Atlantic Portion of the National Songwriting Contest.

Wednesday, July 19th

Slowcoaster, Carmen Townsend, Tom Fun

Pepper Jack's

Hamilton, ON

Thursday, July 20th

The Vynil Cafe

Guelph, ON

Friday, July 21st

Gypsy Hooch

Toronto, ON

that sounds like a fun run!

jay what time is slow coaster hitting the stage friday? i'm wondering if there's a way to time tND and sloclo so i can fit it into one night.

Here is the Tour Myspace Page:

www.myspace.com/invinciblesummertour

Slowcoaster was my favorite band at Come Together Festival... they were mezmerizing! These boys are releasing a new album this fall, I've heard two tracks and they are awesome. If there is a band that is poised to 'save' the jam scene, I would include Slowcoaster..

You can Stream their video "Patio" off their myspace page:

www.myspace.com/slowcoaster

I also caught Carmen Townsend & The Shakey Deals at NXNE and she is quite a talent.

listen to Carmen Townsend's Track "River Rat"

here: www.myspace.com/carmentownsend

I expect more of a party crew out for this one!

I interviewed them the other day for an article and was really inspired by what Steve was saying and his enthusiasm. Also Carmen Townsend and her group Shakey Deals are playing as well as Tom Fun Orchestra which is like a ten piece acoustic BSS but not- Steve called it 'like Tom Waits on crack at Oktoberfest'. Nice.