Jambands.ca

ottawa - beaches?

meggo

looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend and i'm not going to be at bluesfest, sooo... i've been to a few beachy spots in the area, but i'm still kind of new and i want to make sure i'm not missing anything. what are your favourites, ottawa?

Well, there's two by our house, one of which you and D-Rawk were kind enough to join us at last year (Lac Lemy),but we've also found another one even closer to our house. It's off Alexandia Tache behind the Dairy Queen area (but it stretches). There's a beach part that gets a bit busy but is nice, and lots of little spots you can just sit and dip your feet in privacy.

Guest Low Roller

Lac Phillipe in the Gatineaus is great. If you're bored of the beach you can go cave exploring. From a historical point of view there is Meech Lake, and of course Mooney's Bay is the standard.

I miss all of it.

ewwwwwey swimming in the Ottawa river? ewwwwwe.

Well it's the Rideau River... but yeah. It's superclean, but lots of algae which puts people off. But the water quality is excellent.

HOPE Volleyball is at Mooney's Bay today... Thousands of people there, Sloan is playing, booze...

AD

okay Megstar and other Hullites might enjoy this info...lucky directions day...my good friends just called trying to get me to Constance beach...sniff, sniff gotta work but I got the drivers directions to the quarry I mentioned.

About 15-20 minutes from your place.

So from the Island park bridge into Quebec.

Take first left after bridge onto Lower Aylmer road.

Take a right onto Vanier road.

Keep going till you see on your left a red brick church for sale.

The Quarry is across on your right.

Constance..I've never noticed parking signs there..oh wait yes I have but allways ignore them.

I allways park by the restaurant...then walk all the way to the point on the left and settle in around there....usually dog, cooler, others in tow...nice to get around the bend a bit.

I've been afraid to swim there pregnant...gotta figure out if it gets tested.

Meg theres also places in Dunrobin(a bit closer for you)

Well, there's two by our house, one of which you and D-Rawk were kind enough to join us at last year (Lac Lemy),but we've also found another one even closer to our house.

Hmm. We should do that again sometime, non? I haven't seen Abbey in ... a long time!

Would it be too weird, now? I seem to remember things ending in a pool with some haphazard variant of volleyball. And videogame bongo drums. I'll take you suckas on. ;)

Deb, I think that your imagination is a touch dirtier than my memory :blush:

I meant: "would it be too weird, now that you own my monetary soul?"

The volleyball was innocent! (as were the bongos!)

I'm a simple country lass. I understand little of your big city debaucherous ways.

;)

• 2 years later...

thought i would revive this thread since it is that time of year! i was thinking today would be a good beach day til i just noticed clouds rolling in and the forecast for thunderstorms....

also listed on the city of ottawa website are brittania beach, westboro beach and petrie island.

also there is andrew haydon park out carling -- is this the same as britannia beach?

don't forget the lakes and beaches in quebec.

have you seen this site? good info there.

* Philippe Lake

There are 4 very good beaches at Lac Philippe. The 3 north beaches tend to get busy during peak summer weekends. You can also rent canoes on an hourly or daily basis to explore the lake. A good paddle, hike or bike ride to the south end of the lake will take you to a more secluded beach, and is also the trailhead for Lusk Caves (see below).

* Taylor Lake

A small, quiet lake next to Lac Philippe, Taylor Lake has more private campsites, and offers a more peaceful and secluded camping experience.

* Meech Lake

There is also swimming at Meech Lake

* Carman Lake

* Brown Lake

* Lapêche Lake

ALSO [heheh] i get a small, sad kick out of AD's comment about the rideau river's water quality... wasn't 2006 the summer that they accidentally spilled tons of sewage into the river? and didn't tell anyone??

that was the ottawa river.

apparently it happened again this summer too, but a WAY WAY smaller amount -- like a couple of hours of an open valve as opposed to a couple of weeks (???)

still, sad, and a little gross. :(