Jambands.ca

are u kidding me?

PassedOutGuy

This is insane! Save some for the Creek boys!

07/15/03 West Valley Amphitheater, West Valley, UT

Set I: AC/DC Bag, Ya Mar, Theme from the Bottom, Saw it Again, Poor Heart, Two Versions of Me, Secret Smile, Mike's Song> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove

Set II: Mr. Completely1> Low Rider> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars> Buried Alive> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars> Ha Ha Ha> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars> Mr. Completely> Spread It Round, Walls of the Cave, Golgi Apparatus, Slave to the Traffic Light

Encore: Sleeping Monkey

1 First time played.

Spread It Around = New Anastasio/Marshall tune, debut.

This raises the great setlist debate. So, now Phish have pulled out a setlist that causes waves, excitement. Don't get me wrong - I want to believe it's a phenomenal show, it most likely is - but setlists don't matter. When we did the Deer Creek '00 run, it was the 7-11 show that got all the attention because of it's novelty setlist. Thing is, it was my least favorite show of the run, and still is. The other shows, with more "standard" setlists, were of a higher quality musically that 7-11, they just didn't share the "novelty" setlist.

07-10-00 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

1: Cars Trucks Buses > Wilson > It's Ice > Bathtub Gin, Buffalo Bill, My Mind's Got a Mind of it's Own, Split Open and Melt, Sparkle > Funky Bitch, David Bowie (1:17)

2: Gotta Jibboo > Sand, Twist, Fee > What's the Use > Limb by Limb > Loving Cup (1:07)

E: Run Like an Antelope (0:11)

07-11-00 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

1: Ya Mar*, The Moma Dance, Uncle Pen, Drowned > Chalkdust Torture Jam** > Chalkdust Torture, Theme from the Bottom, Cavern (1:09)

2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Down with Disease -> Moby Dick > Down with Disease > Runaway Jim -> Moby Dick, Back on the Train -> Moby Dick -> Back on the Train, Harry Hood# -> Moby Dick, Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin## > Hold Your Head Up > Moby Dick^ > Hold Your Head Up, Character Zero (1:19)

E: First Tube > Moby Dick > Chalkdust Torture Jam^^ (0:10)

*With Trey on keys. **Bizarre jam, with the words "chalkdust torture" (not the lyrics to the song of that name) sung over it; lasted about 5 minutes; previously played 12/10/94. #With "Moby Dick" teases during the intro. ##Fish introduced as "star of the film Gladiator, Russell Crowe"; with vacuum solo; Fish introduced the entire band; a small cactus was put on stage by Mike's amp; Trey introduces Chris Kuroda. ^With Trey drum solo and Jon vacuum solo. ^^Reprise of the "Chalkdust Torture Jam" from the first set; afterwards; Trey said he hoped everyone who is camping has a good time, announces that "we are the Phish from Vermont," and suggested that if people missed anything that they read the book or see the movie

07-12-00 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

1: My Friend My Friend* > The Curtain With > Tube > Heavy Things, Billy Breathes, Beauty of My Dreams > Free, Axilla**, The Squirming Coil (1:12)

2: Birds of a Feather, Piper, Crosseyed and Painless -> Prince Caspian > The Meatstick# (0:58)

E: Wading in the Velvet Sea (0:06)

*Unfinished; no "Mife" or laughing at the end. **With "Axilla [Part II]" ending. #Dance done by Trey and Mike; Trey thanked the crowd for this being their sixth year at Deer Creek, and dedicated the song to the fans who didn't get in.

That "Bomb Factory" show from - 1993 I think, Atlanta - is an example, for me anyway, of a crazy setlist but an average show. But the setlist has given it quite the reputation. These things don't always add up.

I'm simply raising these points for discussion. I'm not saying a show with a "bad" setlist is probably good, or a show with a "good" setlist is probably bad, just that it's funny how people react to these things.

Having said all that, please keep me in mind if AUD copies of this Utah show are floating around. I love Phish, and I'd love to hear this show!

I thought 7.11.00 was an absolutely perfect middle show for the creek. I burst out laughing each and every time Moby Dick started again and was having an absolute blast up on the grass that night. No way I would complain about that night, esp. since there was so much non-musical stuff to complain about that weekend ("who's got money to get our kid out of jail").

i'll have to agree with Tony on the 7-11 show, who gives a shit if it wasn't the jamminest musically amazing night, it was equal parts hilarity/novelty and fist-pumping fun to be there...

Kinda reminds me of when they played Gold Soundz(pavement) - they totally flubbed it but I was in utter awe at the choice when they were laying it on me...

but yeah that deer creek run in 00 was d-i-r-t-y...pharmies, pharmies everywhere, by night 3 it was all the dregs from Indy walking around shakedown...hurt to look at.

I'm not dissing the 7-11-00 show but I agree with secondtube that it was the weakest of that five show run we did (Creek > Columbus).

Point being, it's the only one that is commonly talked about. Me thinks it's an issue of style over substance.

I don't know, the one always comes to mind for me was the Tornado show in Columbus. I'll never hear Sample again in the same way. It's also really hard for me to care that it was the worst of five shows, since I saw all five and enjoyed myself immensely. But if we're splitting hairs, Alpine Valley that year was retatrded. Fast from the beginning till the Horse and even Silent was kicking along. That First Tube will never be topped IMHO.

Me and secondtube might have to brawl someday. It seems we see nothing eye-to-eye. (Disclaimer: The statement made here was intended for humourous value only. Please do not get upset, I do not intend to fight anyone).

I agree with alot of other opinions. I think it makes more sense if you look at the whole Deer Creek run as one entire experience. Not that I was there, but I've listened to those so much I just felt like adding my $.02.

Given yeah, maybe the Moby Dick show wasn't the most jammed out. Given that I used to be the guy who said "It's all about the jam".

I really thought the Moby Dick night was a stand out show. I put it on regularly. It does have lots of nice jams. Nothing super cosmic but lots of nice jams (Drowned > Chalkdust Torture Jam > Chalkdust Torture & 2001-> DWD o name a few) and what a DIFFERENT show. ow many other shows like that has there een?? Exactly.

Man Phish fans are tough to please. I for one would have been psyched to have been at the Creek for these shows. Funny how things change, but for me it's not all about the jam anymore....lots of value in a rocking, well played version of any good tune.

Stamos

Archived