Jambands.ca

Terrible Songs on Great Albums

Jaimoe

A pretty good topic from Rolling Stone. I totally agree with singling out "Squeeze Box" on the good Who By Numbers album.

List of the Day: Terrible Songs on Great Albums

You know what we’re talking about: That song that makes you grateful for the invention of the “skip†button, on that album you can’t stop playing, which means that you don’t stop skipping …

Here are our pet peeves, those imperfections in the Navajo carpet of a great album which remind us that these artists are human:

The Beatles, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer†on Abbey Road

The Who, “Squeeze Box†on The Who By Numbers

The Police, “Be My Girl - Sally†on Outlandos D’Amour

The Velvet Underground, “The Gift†on White Light/White Heat

James Brown, “Spinning Wheel†on Sex Machine

Led Zeppelin, “In The Light†on Physical Graffiti

Pink Floyd, “Waiting for the Worms†on The Wall

Simon & Garfunkel, “Voices of Old People†on Bookends

AC/DC, “Let Me Put My Love Into You†on Back In Black

Run-DMC, “Perfection†on Raising Hell

What are yours?

The Kinks released a series of really good LPs on Arista in the late-1970s and 1980s: "Misfits", "Low Budget", "Give The People What They Want", "State Of Confusion", "Word Of Mouth", and there was usually one dog of a slow song on them. On "Give The People What They Want", there were two: "Killer's Eyes" and "Art Lover", the latter one's subject matter being a guy who likes to take pictures of children... :(

Aloha,

Brad

Fifty-fifty! are you kidding me? That is the aural equivalent of a merry go round on acid....not you on acid, the merry go round! The organ solo in the middle of that(and the guitar solo after it) are friggin' brilliant. Took awhile to grow on me as the vocals are outta control but it's there.

How about 'I have been in You' from Sheik Yerbouti? That's a Zappa dog for sure...

The strange thing about Lowell George and Shakedown is that his production ruins the album. This comes from the same guy that did great work in producing great Little Feat albums like Dixie Chicken and Feats Don't Fail Me.

Edited by Guest

Don't know too much Little Feat. I do know the song Dixie Chicken (I think, is it even a song?)

This is off topic, but if I went out tomorrow and bought a Little Feat album, which one should it be?

The Waiting For Columbus live double-album (be sure to get the remaster, not the original release) is a great place to start.

I think the songs on Shakedown done live are "fantastic", but the album is brutally over-produced in surprising and shocking fashion by Lowell George.

I would say that is true of every Grateful Dead studio album after American Beauty, with the exceptions of Blues For Allah and Wake Of The Flood. Great songs, horrible production.

I think the songs on Shakedown done live are "fantastic"' date=' but the album is brutally over-produced in surprising and shocking fashion by Lowell George.[/quote']

I would say that is true of every Grateful Dead studio album after American Beauty, with the exceptions of Blues For Allah and Wake Of The Flood. Great songs, horrible production.

I think In The Dark suffers from 80's-itis. But, it's still a great "coming out" album loaded with some of their best latter career songs.

Waiting For Columbus

WfC is one of the all-time best live rock'n'roll albums, up there with The Who's "Live At Leeds" and The Rolling Stones' "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out". If you get it, get the re-issued double CD, which has a bunch of bonus tracks (and tracks that were on the double-LP, but got trimmed to make it fit on the original single-CD issue), and improved sound.

Aloha,

Brad

The strange thing about Lowell George and Shakedown is that his production ruins the album. This comes from the same guy that did great work in producing great Little Feat albums like Dixie Chicken and Feats Don't Fail Me.

Lowell George was so coked out and dysfunctional that he was only really the producer by name. He couldn't finish the production and long time Jerry Band bassist John Kahn finished the producttion. So there is a clear reason why it dosen't sound as plolished as earlier Little Feat productions.

i concur.

What about Guyute on Story of the Ghost.

bruuuutal.

I woulda said Fikus long before Guyute. But if Phish gets back together and forgets Guyute, they'll be all the better for it.

Edited by Guest