Jambands.ca

Should we create decency standards for avatars?

Basher

I've had to shut them off as some of my cherished time on jambands is during work hours - so do I care - not really.

I mean I have to miss out on some that put a smile on my face but realistically I should be doing this on my own time in which case I wouldn't be missing out right.

just my opinion.

I just think that if you would be uncomfortable having your 5 year old son or daughter seeing an avatar here, it should go.

My 3 cents.

ok since you put it that way then yes I agree...I do not have children so that thought didn't cross my mind. pot leafs ok - disturbing close up images of grotesque things not so much then.

I say no.

People can turn the avatars off if they don't want to see them.

As well, we've had a few ridiculously offensive avatars on here in the past, and when that has happened public opinion and outcry was enough to get them changed. That seems like a good enough system that works. I say we just continue with that.

so yeah isn't shutting them off enough...as far as images in posts with no warning - enter at your own risk in settings that are questionable....I mean you're always gonna get that email to even your own personal account from your own friend with indecent images for some settings (ie: work or at home with little peoples eyes) with no warning - so here it's bound to happen as well....I'm back to my original thought - nah don't really think its necessary or I guess I just really don't care as I've taken steps to avoid.

I've typed this before. If you are offended by an avatar, send me a message.

I wondered about Dimafleck's, but in reality it is a computer mouse. Other than that...I haven't noticed anything offensive.

That's not the point. You shouldn't have to police us, nor should we have to rat people out. Just common decency.

And Willy, my avatar came back due to popular demand - if you don't like it I'll bash you!

;)

hey basher, you know that sometimes people may not realize that their avatar is offensive. that's all i'm suggesting.

people should be able to have tasteful avatars. I like Oink's policy. Only CUTE avatars allowed. Like cute little fuzzy bunnies and shit.

:) - "Loc: In a lake of LSD" - translation for the kids: just a typo for "Latter Day Saints"...

Our own kids are often checking out what we're looking at here. We've been able to dispense with any awkward questions with a pre-emptive "That's just Lazlo again," and that seems to satisfy them; maybe whenever anyone puts up a dubious avatar they should just get their display name changed accordingly.

Do not allow your children unsupervised access to the Internet. This is an adult site. If you would monitor what they read then monitor what they surf. Personally this place is so objectionable I'm not even sure I should be looking at it. ;)

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent point!!!

i think that we have enough fucking shit (see?) around here changed for people at work. if you can't see images like that b/c you're at work, turn avatars off, if you have kids....a clitty mouse, or a gapaing asshole, is really the least of your internet concerns...and if something offends you personally...well, look at the world around you, there's lots to be offended by. what a person chooses to be visually associated with via the internet, is again, the least of your concern.

for me, a person who's never had an avatar, this issue is the least of my concern.