Jambands.ca

Mel Gibson: Completely Screwed

Patchoulia

[color:red]RANT ON:

not that I want to beat the dying horse but there is something in here that really bothers me:

Mel Gibson asks for help from Jewish community

SANDY COHEN

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Actor Mel Gibson admited making anti-Semitic remarks during his drunken driving arrest and asks members of the Jewish community to help him recover from his alcohol addiction, in a statement issued Tuesday through his publicist.

Gibson asked to meet with Jewish leaders "with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing."

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark," Gibson, 50, said in the statement, which directs an apology to "everyone in the Jewish community."

"Please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith," Gibson said.

Gibson was arrested in Malibu early Friday for alleged drunken driving.

ok, fine, he has remorse. But he's cloaking it in his "faith": "Hatred of any kind goes against my faith".

Well, in this case, forget your faith, Mr Gibson, why can't hatred of any kind just go against your basic sense of humanity? What does your faith have to do with not being a drunken man behind a wheel, apparently with an axe to grind?

[color:red]RANT OFF.

thank you.

Am I alone in thinking that his entry into rehab might be a dodge? I don't think I've heard of any reports of Gibson getting out of hand due to alcohol before, and if a list of "Celebrities Most Likely To Go Into Rehab" had been compiled last week, I doubt Gibson's name would have been on it. (Yes, he could be a secret/closet alcoholic, and DUI is an indicator of a problem, but so far, this most recent incident is the only indicator we've had.)

But while he's in rehab, he won't be available to the media, and it gives the impression he's addressing a (though not necessarily the) problem. My guess is that he's hoping to quietly finish and then leave rehab, and then sneak back into society (and the news) after all this has (he hopes) blown over.

Aloha,

Brad

This is not the first time the word anti-semite has been linked to Mel Gibson's name.

He got a lot of heat from the Passion of the Christ movie and his depiction of Jews from different groups.

That is the reason he decided to do a Holocaust series with ABC...which they have now cancelled production on yesterday.

I remember hearing something about Mel's father being part on an anti-semetic group or writing a book or something......anyone else hear of this?

Pathetic.

I've never liked Mel Gibson (I especially hated him in The Bounty, more on this later someday) so I'm going to waste as little time on this as possible.

But everyone does or says something stupid at some point in their lives -- maybe not on the same scale as this, but certainly. Does it really take so much courage to say "I did something something stupid, it was wrong, there's no excuse, and I'm sorry" instead of making one's victims into the scapegoats?

This sort of forced sanctimony is the final refuge of the hypocrite.

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot: never saw "Passion of the Christ". I refuse to aid or abet anyone exploiting my faith to make a buck. Such is the purview of fundamentalists.

Edited by Guest
Saw no Passion...

• 3 weeks later...