Jambands.ca

Live Shows In Montreal.....

Paul

hopefully blane can get in on this tip thread. he knows all of the places to enjoy in Montreal.

I had the best time when I was there for Radiohead. We only ate what he recommended and it was GOOD. Perogies and Beet soup at some little shop, burgers and poutine at some corner grill...mmmmmmmmmm!!!

Mind you, the music was covered with Barr Brothers, Sister Brother and Radiohead - but I'm sure he'd have some thoughts there too.

then you must make contact with Blane on here. I never liked perogies until that place, and I had never had beet soup before and it was DELISH-FUCKIN'-OUS

Now we make perogies at home every couple of weeks and fried red cabbage with onion. I gotta find out how to make beet soup now though. Maybe you guys can pilfer the recipe from them?

hey!

Bouche, the soup is "Borscht". Comes in two breeds: boring polish and exciting ukrainian. THe polish one is beets and water. THe ukranian one is beets, water, chickpeas and anything else you find in the back of your fridge. I"m sure there are 10000 recepies online for it.

Paul, pierogies are at EuroDeli (St. Viateur & St. Urbain). Great for late brekkie. Best coffee in town right across the street. Not sure what's going on this weekend. It's the Outgames (the new Gay Games) so there's tons of events surrounding that, but here's a quick list of the best venues for just dropping in and seeing what's up:

Barfly, 4062A St-Laurent 284-6665 (DIVE)

Brutopia, 1219 Crescent 393-9277 (BREWPUB)

Casa del Popolo, 4873 St-Laurent 284-3804

Le Cheval Blanc, 809 Ontario East. 522-0211 (BREWPUB)

Le Divan Orange, 4234 St-Laurent 840-9090

L'Escogriffe, 4467A, Saint-Denis 842-7244

The Green Room/Main Hall, 5390 St-Laurent

O Patro Vys/Billy Kun, 356 Mont-Royal East

Pharmacie Esperanza, 5490 St-Laurent 948-3303 (CAFE)

La Sala Rossa, 4848 St-Laurent 284-3804

The free entertainment papers are Mirror and Hour, and both are online.

PM me if you need info.

Edited by Guest

i love montreal. always a great time there. heading out in a few weeks for the Raconteurs show. i think le swimming is closed now, but metropolis, les foufounes electriques and club soda might have something interesting. check out:

http://www.montrealmusicscene.com

http://www.montreal-clubs.com

http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/eguide/bars/bymusic.html

and definately, Schwartz's Deli on St Laurent for the best smoked meat sammiches in this half of the galaxy. and bagels from st viateur (or any of the others close by). yum. im jealous. :D

Schwartz's Deli on St Laurent for the best smoked meat sammiches in this half of the galaxy.

One afternoon at rehearsal in my basement, the subject of Schwartz's came up.

"What's 'Schwartz's'?" our drummer asked.

Our bass player and I, in unison, replied, "Best smoked meat in the universe." Unrehearsed.

Aloha,

Brad, Who May Stay Over For Kaki King in October As A Bonus Point Lunch.

Edited by Guest
Der capitals.

Our bass player and I, in unison, replied, "Best smoked meat in the universe." Unrehearsed.

for those who have eaten at Schwartz's, no explanation is necessary. for those who haven't, none is possible

... or, was that the Grateful Dead? ;)

so, on your way out of town Paul, drive up St Laurent to Schwartz's, grab one set to eat right then, and another for the road. then keep driving a few blocks up to the plateau to St Viateur for bagels. It's all pretty much on the way to the highway. Trust me, a 30 minute investment will bring hours of "mmmmmm". dont be intimidated by the line-up either at Schwartz's.

old monteral is really nice too for a meal one night. a bit pricey there and would probably be full of touristes, but its beautiful just to grab a creme glace and walk around in the evening. the Prince Arthur area is fun for loads of decent restaurants, and its closed to cars, so good to just stroll too. and dont forget, you can bring your own wine to any restaurant in the city.

Enjoy the most beautiful city in North America!

as for schwartz's, be prepared for a lineup outside if you need smoked meat that bad. personally, I don't think any sandwich is worth lining up for. seriously, it's not THAT good.

Actually, Schwartz's can be a bit strange, as (the times I've been there) there's usually a line-up for take-out, but no line-up for spots at a table. You probably won't get a table to yourself, as it's more of a cafeteria-style arrangement, with 8-person (or is it 6-person?) tables, and everybody sitting where they can.

And I disagree with you, bouche, it is that good, and really doesn't take that long, even in the line-up.

Aloha,

Brad

Yes, definitely go see them. They're a three-piece (guitar, bass, drums; the guitar player also sometimes plays sitar, and he sings, too), and are one of the bands I really want to see more of.

http://www.tala.ca

http://www.archive.org/details/Tala

Unfortunately, I can't find out where they're playing, as their tour dates don't list anything past the end of July. :(

Aloha,

Brad

I know you asked for music and everyone gave you food!

here is more food-

Spirite Lounge

1205 Ontario Est

Metro Beaudry

514-522-5353

Famous for adding an extra charge if you don't finish your dinner. Eating here is universally described as an experience. Reservations required.

concur with many already mentioned and will add that if you like fries- try Frites Allors!

Too many great sauces not to check out- try Béarnaise sauce with you Fries- yummy!

by the way- Borscht- if anyone wants- I have the best family recipe ever for it- a very heartly beet based soup that is conisdered Eastern Ukrainian in origin. If anyone is interested I will post it to this threat / or I guess maybe the food thread.