Jambands.ca

Robert Randolph in Toronto...

c-towns

fuck. that.

of all the places to put a sit down artist....they put him in the lowest stage in toronto.

last time i saw RR play the opera house, all i saw was the tip of his hat for 2 hours.

It's not the promoter's fault that you're a little man.

You do realize that there is a *balcony* at the Opera House, don't you?

the opera house is beter than the phoenix...anyday.

Agreed. That being said, they both suck pretty bad. Why are we plagued with shows at these venues? I have to believe there are other places to have these shows. Didn't the old Masonic Temple get re-opened as a music venue once again?

Randolph is awesome. However, I'd like to know if he's planning on altering his setlist from the last three times I've seen him. It got a little tiring.

Agreed. That being said' date=' they both suck pretty bad. Why are we plagued with shows at these venues? I have to believe there are other places to have these shows. Didn't the old Masonic Temple get re-opened as a music venue once again?

Randolph is awesome. However, I'd like to know if he's planning on altering his setlist from the last three times I've seen him. It got a little tiring.[/quote']

the 'temple' is now the home to MTV ...

Agreed. That being said' date=' they both suck pretty bad. Why are we plagued with shows at these venues? [/quote']

True. I agree as well. The Phoenix is always a problem for one reason or another. I try to avoid it at all costs now. The Opera House tends to be more of a hit-and-miss venue for me. Sometimes it's laid back and anything goes (like last Saturday for the Sippermen). But other times it's a complete nightmare (remember Bela Fleck there? ugh).

I have to believe there are other places to have these shows. Didn't the old Masonic Temple get re-opened as a music venue once again?

Is it? It was nothing to write home about either. If it was overcrowded, it was deadly. Man, the times that Phish played there were great shows, but so overcrowded, no ventilation, and no in and out. Brutal. If the crowds are kept to proper levels it's OK. There was a great Etta James and Maria Muldaur show there that was fantastic ... and not too crowded.

Hey, at least we might get a funky new outdoor venue if they allow concerts in the soccer stadium at the Ex! Mind you, with all the sh*t going down with noise bylaws and the islanders, etc., maybe that won't happen. I always used to think that Varsity Stadium would have rocked for show (Lenon played there!)

Randolph is awesome. However, I'd like to know if he's planning on altering his setlist from the last three times I've seen him. It got a little tiring.

I hear ya. I've chosen to skip shows in between his visits here. At least that way, if the setlist is a little repetitive, it still can be a little fresh.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

healey's.

:P

:P is right. I finally went to that place to see Mountain (got on the list through a friend of Corky's). I couldn't believe what a sh*thole it was. Fun show nonetheless.

Another weird venue was Rock and Roll Heaven. Anyone remember that one? Up at Yonge and Bloor. I remember seeing Merl Saunders there a couple of times and some other Dead "family" gigs.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Heres my deal with the opera house...on saturday before the show I upchucked my dinner, leaving me with a horrid burning throat - the bar refuses to give tap water (even when both barstaff are not busy), but they're fine with you taking a cup to fill in the bathroom. I was in so much discomfort that I tried to do just that, only to find out that security won't let me into the bathroom with an empty cup. So I can't leave the venue to get water, I cant get into the bathroom...fine I'll go to the bar to get a bottle - which I believe I can buy with my $2.75 subway change for the ride home - nope, a bottle is $3.50.

-end rant.

Last time Randolph was the Horsepoo I had a ticket and completly spaced on the date! daaaaamn

only to find out that security won't let me into the bathroom with an empty cup. So I can't leave the venue to get water, I cant get into the bathroom...fine I'll go to the bar to get a bottle - which I believe I can buy with my $2.75 subway change for the ride home - nope, a bottle is $3.50.

Of course they won't let you into the bathroom with an empty cup. You might fill it with pee :P Seriously, it makes no sense. Shit, they think that the Opera House is good enough to have a bathroom attendant?!?!??! WTF is up with that. I refuse to give any dude hanging out in the bathroom money.

Sorry. If I was more with it, i would have gladly got you a bottle of water for your throat. That's sucks to be uncomfortable like that.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Thanks Kev, although that tap water tasted oh so good! If I was actually buying by the bottle I would have had more then 4 during the night...it helps the pain but by no means cures it.

Update: opera house management says that if you buy a bottle of water they let you take that into the washroom. Ooooh such luxuory. and i'm sure that the tap water in the washroom is the same as that at th bar, but its just so gross drinking the pee-room.

i'd be happy if robert randolph even played a show in Ottawa - quit your bitchin! ;)

I agree re Opera House being hit and miss. Kev will remember the moe. show there in '95 - got to hang in the Balcony cause I was taping (I think Kev was there with us - there were maybe 30 people in the venue. very strange triple bill that night). Before they turned it into the Phoenix, the Diamond was a great venue. And the Phish show at the concert hall in spring 93 was brutally hot. I even returned my tix for their show there later that summer after it was moved from Harbourfront.

Kev will remember the moe. show there in '95 - got to hang in the Balcony cause I was taping (I think Kev was there with us - there were maybe 30 people in the venue. very strange triple bill that night).

You bet I remember that one. I always thought that those were the prime seats in that place. There's only been a handful of times I've been in there when it's open, but that one row of seats is always blocked off, or VIP.

And the Phish show at the concert hall in spring 93 was brutally hot. I even returned my tix for their show there later that summer after it was moved from Harbourfront.

That was such a sweat box. There were only a couple of windows open, no ventillation and the walls were literally dripping with moisture!!! (and that's no hallucination!)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)