Jambands.ca

Willie Nelson cited for drug possession

Cully

Willie Nelson cited for drug possession

BREAUX BRIDGE, La. - Willie Nelson and several members of his band were issued misdemeanor citations for drug possession early today during a traffic stop in Saint Martin Parish.

The traffic stop was conducted on Interstate 10 near Breaux Bridge.

Trooper Willie Williams says troopers smelled a strong odor of marijuana when the driver opened the bus door.

During a search of the bus, Williams say approximately 1 1/2 pounds of marijuana and approximately 2/10 of a pound of mushrooms were located on the bus.

The 73-year-old Nelson of Spicewood, Texas; 59-year-old Tony Sizemore of Saint Cloud, Fla.; 75-year-old Bobbie Nelson of Briarcliff, Texas; 54-year-old Gates Moore of Austin, Texas; and 50-year-old David Anderson of Dallas, Texas were issued citations for possession of mushrooms and possession of marijuana and released.

I knew that he loved his weed...

BUSTED!!

Willie%20Nelson%20Countryman-776616.jpg

That's a nice persy sack. It's funny I know more and more professional adults (not music industry) that take mushrooms recreationally.

I had a girlfriend whose dad would take them even for family gatherings like Thanksgiving. It was weird knowing he was on them when you were trying to interact with the extended family. The funniest thing was just how he would sweat a little bit and also he would laugh either a moment before or after it was appropriate. No one would have picked up on it but when it happened it was all you could do not to spit milk out your nose.

did anyone else hear As it happens on Friday? they had the professor that studied stereotypes of people by what music they listen to. funny thing he found was that people that listened to classical/Oprah were more likely to take magic mushrooms then someone that liked dance/hiphop music. Barbara Budd added "i saw Wagner's Ring and i can tell you its very psychedelic."

i tried to find the link on cbc's page but it wasn't there.

The thing I find interesting is that, if this had happened in Canada, Willie would normally have been charged with possession for the purposes of trafficing, which is a much more serious charge than just possession. Possession for the purposes of trafficing is defined as having more than a certain amount of the substance with intent to traffic in it, and it's presumed that you were going to traffic in it; this allows the charge to be laid without actually having to catch the person selling (or attempting to sell) the substance.

The interesting thing is that this charge has what's called a "reverse onus clause", which means that you have to prove your innocence to be found not guilty, which would mean that Willie would have to prove he didn't intend to sell the drugs, and that they were for his personal use.

I would love to see the trial in Canada during which Willie proved (because I believe he could) that 1.5 pounds of marijuana was merely for his personal use...

Aloha,

Brad