Jambands.ca

Widespread Panic - Sept. 19, 2006. Burlington, Vt.

Big Wooly Mammoth

Set 1 - Send Your Mind, Little Lily, Ride Me High>I'm Not Alone>Better Off, Crazy, Down, Tortured Artist > Henry Parsons Died

Set 2 - Good People, Heroes, Casa Del Grillo, Weight of the World > Mercy > Drums > Drums and Bass > Hatfield > Goin' Out West > Chainsaw City

Encore - Time Waits, Travelin' Light

Whole show was with John Keane on guitar or pedal steel.

Wow - this was my first panic w/ jimmy herring experience and I was very happy with it. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Gmac in the band, and he definitely grew a lot over the 5 years he was in the band. I would have continued to see them with him in the band. But JH adds a new dimension to this band. It will be interesting to watch his progress in the band. (And I guess we lose those acoustic sets - I remember an interview in which JB stated that they introduced those when they discovered that Gmac was quite the proficient acoustic player - but that’s okay)

Back to last night.....I missed Send Your Mind and Little Lilly after driving for 4 hours and then looking for a parking spot. I was surprised to see how empty the venue was - fewer people than were there the last time they played Burlington (in 2001). The balcony was even closed. The venue is an old small basketball arena. Bleachers on the sides were folded up. Sound was pretty good but way too loud. Small crowds like this probably mean at least another 5 years before we see them there again.

It was a bit weird seeing Herring on the stage at first, but after a few minutes I realized how good this version of Panic is. I can’t say that anything special stood out in the first set for me. I was just happy to be there and hearing my favourite band play some familiar tunes.

For the 2nd set I worked my way about 8 rows back from the rail - in front of John Keane with perfect views of Herring and JB. It was clear that Herring was having a great time - pulling out many a grin. Watching him play the guitar from that close distance just blew me away. He is just the shit! WOTW was prolly the highlight for me - Herring and Schools were looking at each other, then JB joined in. Herring got the nod and closed his eyes and just ripped the solo - wow!! Hatfield was another highlight - JB’s facial expressions and playing style during his improv were priceless. The set finished with a solid Going out West into Chainsaw City. This was my first time seeing them do the latter (in 27 shows), and I was not disappointed - I’m a big fan of the Jerry Joseph tunes.

Every time that I see Panic I ask myself why I can’t get more people out to see them. This is especially true with this current version. So go see them as often as you can (which unfortunately is like once or twice a year for me these days). You won’t be disappointed.

(I bumped into somebody from Ottawa, who was there with a few other folks, but never got a name. He mentioned that they were going to Nectar’s before the drive home if anybody know who he/they were.)

Edited by Guest

Hello, part of the Ottawa posse here. You were talking to my boyfriend Matt (mattm). He told me he ran in to someone from Canada too, must be you. We were there with my bro and two of our friends Dave and Ryan. We were situated front row for the entire show, due to the fact we were there right on time, and yes, the crowd was quite miniscule. Didn't matter the size though, the boys still ripped it up hard. I was directly in front of Herring the entire time, and let me tell you, watching that guy solo makes me get off! I'm really impressed on how well these guys just work together and get so deep into it. Seeps right into my soul. Highlights for me were hearing Little Lily second song! Ride Me High, and Tortured Artist. To top it all off, at the end of the show one of the stage crew comes over and hands me a copy of the setlist. I was one lucky chick this trip.

Anywho, too bad I didn't get to meet up with you after. We did end up going to see Ten Mile Tide, who were really wicked. Did an awesome long version of the Allman Bros, Jessica. All in all, this was an incredible trip, Burlington is a great town, will be heading back there for two nights of Umphrye's next weekend. Can't wait, Higher Ground here I come.

Panic rocks my soul, hope to see more of them soon.

Much love and respect

Steph

Burlington is such a great city, and the Memorial Aud is one of my favourite venues there, simply by virtue of the fact that it's really easy to move around in, and it's normally very intimate. I saw Trey there in '03 and when I walked in I could not believe I was about to see Big Red in what amounted to a high school gym (also met Fishman that night).

Glad to hear that those who were there enjoyed the show so much, here's to more Panic in the NE US.

09/20/06 Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, NH

Set I: Thin Air (Smells like Mississippi), Big Woolly Mammoth, Give, Blackout Blues, Holden Oversoul, When the Clowns Come Home> Sometimes> Ain't Life Grand

Set II: Are You Ready For The Country?> Diner> Bear's Gone Fishin'> Pleas, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys> Climb To Safety> Low Spark of High Heeled Boys> Drums> Love Tractor> Solid Rock, Imitation Leather Shoes

Encore: The Take Out> Porch Song

now set II loks like the shit...

Yup, it was probably me you were talking to. Were you wearing a t-shirt with canada written on it?.

Yup that was me in the Pearl Jam Canada T-shirt. I would have stayed to hook up after the show, but I had a long drive ahead of me so worked my way to the back during the encore for a quick exit after the show.

Re the setlist - agreed that on paper it's not the best, but the playing was up there. but, ya last nights list does look like the shit - and was the show of the tour so far according to some...