?!?!?!?!?!? Roger Waters ?!?!?!?!?!

\/\/illy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's untrue, sorry.

Sure, some pre-recorded effects have always been part & parcel with a live Floyd show - the heartbeats, radios, airplane sounds, pig grunts, etc. Often, drummer Nick Mason would play to a "click track" - a metronome-like device in his ear, so that the band could stay in synch with the films being projected and effects unfolding around them. If that's what you mean then yes, they always employed pre-recorded material into their shows (well at least from DSOTM on).

But vocally, with Waters and Gilmour sharing duties, they sang their lines live. And that's the big difference here.

Interesting way of finding out where the tour will be going in 2007 ... it's from the tour shirts in Australia this week:

Friday, 26 January 2007

The official t-shirts for Roger's Australian shows have revealed additional cities that the show is due to appear in - for the US, Canada, and Brazil. Whilst there's been plenty of rumoured dates and places, it now seems that Roger WILL be playing in Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, New Jersey, New York City, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Hollywood, Irvine, Las Vegas, Oakland, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Omaha, Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Boston, Hartford, and Darien Lake. Phew! Before you bombard us with emails, we DON'T have exact dates NOR ticketing details, so don't ask!! As the dates get confirmed by Roger's manager, we will let you know through these pages. Our thanks to Col from our sister site A Fleeting Glimpse who has posted a shot of the t-shirt on his site... look for his show reports on BD shortly!

dates.jpg

expect the setlist to be exctly the same this year, too. The ONLY change to his setlist - after 60 odd shows so far - has been the dropping of one song, "The Gunner's Dream". Otherwise, not a tune has changed or even been shifted out of regular order.

Just giving you heads up!

Yeah, I definitely agree with you Cully. The sound at that show was unreal!!! And there was a whole lot of goodness going on beyond Water's lyrics anyways.

Mind you, I'd be less than excited about the prospect of hearing the "exact same thing" for this round of tour. I'm hoping to see some new set lists, otherwise it becomes difficult to justify the crazy ticket prices.

I say drop the DSOTM set ... I'd rather see the second set be Amused To Death in it's entirety!

amused_to_death_big.gif

fair enough, but that would mean the difference between a Roger Waters show at a theatre and one at an arena. I know a lot of people hold that album in high regard (I don't hapen to be one of them) but, fourteen years after it's release, I'm not sure it's going to encourage people to pay $150 to see it and allow Waters to play to large crowds, and he knows that.

What is a real shame is that still represents his latest album, aside from his opera, which would make Amused To Death seem like Thriller in comparisons of appeal.

fair enough, but that would mean the difference between a Roger Waters show at a theatre and one at an arena. I know a lot of people hold that album in high regard (I don't hapen to be one of them) but, fourteen years after it's release, I'm not sure it's going to encourage people to pay $150 to see it and allow Waters to play to large crowds, and he knows that.

Sure, but if he could corral Jeff Beck to do the guitar duties ..... :)

What is a real shame is that still represents his latest album, aside from his opera, which would make Amused To Death seem like Thriller in comparisons of appeal.

True. One thing about Amused To Death, which is very telling, is that the lyrics are as equally valid in today's political/global climate.

that's untrue, sorry.

Sure, some pre-recorded effects have always been part & parcel with a live Floyd show - the heartbeats, radios, airplane sounds, pig grunts, etc. Often, drummer Nick Mason would play to a "click track" - a metronome-like device in his ear, so that the band could stay in synch with the films being projected and effects unfolding around them. If that's what you mean then yes, they always employed pre-recorded material into their shows (well at least from DSOTM on).

But vocally, with Waters and Gilmour sharing duties, they sang their lines live. And that's the big difference here.

No need to apologize. And click tracks live are for fucking pussies.

Wondering where you get all your facts from? Can anyone recommend a good Pink Floyd biography?

Wondering where you get all your facts from? Can anyone recommend a good Pink Floyd biography?

There really aren't any really great PF books. Nick Mason wrote one called "Inside Out", and while enjoyable, it's a white-washed account of the band, agreeable with not much juice. The late Nicholas Schaeffer had a book called "Saucerful of Secrets" which was ok as far as facts go, but rather poorly written.

As far as where I hear about these matters, check earlier in the thread, I spelled it out. Obsessive types on message boards who notice these things, mainly.

I'd LOVE it if he played at Molson Amp again like he did in '99. Sometimes the enclosed nature of a stadium muffles the vibes a bit. Might as well let them soar I figure...

The blissful sensory overload that I experienced at '99 was one for the record books for me (that is, until the drive home... didn't come down so well...) Don't worry, I wasn't driving...