Jambands.ca

Conservatives cut medicinal marijuana research

ollie

The federal government is cutting research into medical uses of marijuana to save $4 million, as part of $1 billion in savings it expects to make over the next two years.

The savings result from cuts in four categories, Baird said:

- Programs that are not delivering value for money.

- Programs that didn't spend all the money allocated.

- Work that could be done more efficiently outside the government.

- Programs that don't meet the needs of Canadians.

The marijuana research program falls into the last category.

Tories find small cuts to reduce spending by $1B

Save the country some money and just decriminalize cannabis. Stupid mooks I swear. Sorry for my ventlation. I wonder what they wanna spend the billion bucks... I bet its the AFG situation. I heard that there are new Join the canadian Army comercials. I saw a preview of two of them. Im not sure if there on T.V yet up there.

might as well kiss the only North American needle exchange program goodbye too. Like they're going to keep the funding alive for that project (which by all means I think they should).

Let's all remember:

LIB 30%

CON 36%

NDP 17%

BLOC 10%

36% of the country want the Conservatives in power. damn I hate our parliamentary system.

I really hate the way the government spends money. I really hate how they get to make so many decisions with out a vote. We should be able to vote on every decision the government makes with all the technology we have now. It just dosn't seem that we live in a world governerd by the people.

Do you really think that the majority of people would participate if we had a vote on every decision that has to be made? Most people can't be bothered to vote in an election, let alone the daily governing process.

Marijuana doesn't need to be researched. Everyone already knows what it does, and how to grow it. It's a goddamn plant for crikey-sakes.

just decriminilize it and move on.

So true. This whole "we have to keep reshearching the effets" thing is a diversion tactic so they never actually have to do anything close to decriminalization and hence piss off the Americans.

I bet Stephen Harper still believes in the gateway theory.

I don't think the medical marijuana funding was really related to the decrim issue, the (previous) federal (Liberal) government already approved medical expemptions for pot, and this funding was likely tied to that, ie. the system by which people get on that list, its administration, $ for research into what sick people should get it, etc.

ie. decrim for the public is a separate issue.

But, I would like to hear from some of the people in the medpot game and hear their take on the cuts.

Marijuana doesn't need to be researched. Everyone already knows what it does, and how to grow it. It's a goddamn plant for crikey-sakes.

just decriminilize it and move on.

I respectfully disagree. We need more empirical studies on the pharmaceutical effects of plants with psychotropic properties in order to disassociate them from the 'reefer madness' style propaganda that lumps them into the chemical axis-of-evil.

cheers

adambrot

Edited by Guest
FIXED IT FOR YOU!

I think that the amount of ppl that use the internet in this country would. All ya would have todo is put in your sin number..Like ya do if your on EI. click yes or no. and a way you go.. there could be some sorta enumeration list that you could click the catagory's that you wanted to particapate in. And if ya Don't vote ya can't Bitch. There are so many things that we just let them go a head with and make your mind up for ya. Would you like ketchup with your grilled cheese... AHHH Sure ya Dooo Glob. Mean while I didn't want ketchup on my grilled cheese.