Jambands.ca

Shady Mechanics

Douglas

long story short...our car was taken to the garage on a Wednesday morning, and Thursday morning we found out that they "didn't know" where it was. Hours later, after having called the cops, the owner showed up with it. The owner's story and the other mechanic's story don't match up. It was definitely "missing" (apparently with the owner) for at least 2 hours while Booche was sitting at the garage. I'm assuming though, based on my conversation with one of the mechanics that morning that it was gone since then, approximately 4 hours before the owner came back with it. I should also note that the work I brought it in for was not done, so for all I know buddy could have been using our car since 11am on Wednesday (returned to us at 2pm on Thursday).

I didn't write down the odometer reading when I took the car in on Wednesday (lesson learned), but it's quite obvious with the long version of this story that the owner was using our car for his own personal use.

We need to be mindful of slander, but what can we do (with no way of proving that he used our car for his personal use)? What would you do?

that SUCKS balls. i've had some run ins with shady mechanics but nothing like that.

a couple things you might be able to do

1. if you paid on credit card, you can dispute the charges, or some cards have purchase insurance on them or something fancy like that.

2. call the cops. if they took the car out for stuff that they weren't supposed to, it's theft. if they charged you for services not completed, it's fraud or theft or something bad like that. in that case might not hurt to have it independently checked out at another (reputable) garage.

3. launch a sting operation. spy on him. see what he does with other cars

4. propaganda. get a radio show on CKCU and talk shit about him.

(1 and 2 were serious though...)

sorry about that nonsense. kick him in the nads when you finally prevail.

AD

that SUCKS balls. i've had some run ins with shady mechanics but nothing like that.

a couple things you might be able to do

1. if you paid on credit card, you can dispute the charges, or some cards have purchase insurance on them or something fancy like that.

2. call the cops. if they took the car out for stuff that they weren't supposed to, it's theft. if they charged you for services not completed, it's fraud or theft or something bad like that. in that case might not hurt to have it independently checked out at another (reputable) garage.

3. launch a sting operation. spy on him. see what he does with other cars

4. propaganda. get a radio show on CKCU and talk shit about him.

(1 and 2 were serious though...)

sorry about that nonsense. kick him in the nads when you finally prevail.

AD

Response to 1. - no charges incurred (the work wasn't done anyhow for the entire 26 hrs they had the car!)

Response to 2. - we called the cops that day. They couldn't yet claim it a stolen vehicle. They told Booche to call back if the car wasn't back by 2pm, but it came back at 1:55pm. The work that was done previous to this visit was checked out and ok (a big thanks to Speedy for checking it all out free of charge!)

Response to 3. - I want so badly to do this, but won't give up vacation days to do so (well...maybe... :tongue:)

Response to 4. - that's the slander part that I'm weary of. What can I say/what can't I say? I have seriously considered going to the media, but without proof I could get into some serious pooh-pooh.

edit to add - Booche told him to go fuck himself. I couldn't have said it better myself (unless I said the same with my arm waving uncontrollably above my head)

Sue them.

Call it "unjust enrichment". Take them to Small Claims Court for the value of renting your car from you plus depreciation in the value of your car due to use. Also make a claim for "aggravated damages", and the costs of starting the court action and associated costs of serving them, etc.

At that point, it's a question of evidence and quantum of damages.

I have never wanted to sue someone until now, but I have no evidence. And I don't want to spend so much money just to see if I have a leg to stand on. My car is ok after all of this, and now I just want to make sure that other people don't get screwed over like we did (did I mention that we were suppose to leave that day to go out of town for a wake/funeral? and we were late because of this? fack). I'd love to go to the media, but slander is a costly offense. And that would be slander, wouldn't it (without evidence)?

If something you say or write is true, it is not defamatory.

Also, you do have evidence. You were both witnesses and can give oral testimony. It is then a matter of weighing credibility.

(Also, starting a Small Claims action only costs like 300 bucks; at least in BC.)

However, I am editing this to add that I discourage you from launching a lawsuit anyway, if only for the headaches it could cause you as the case progressed for nominal gain. I only suggested that it is your legal option, but in actual fact it is likely best to consider some other option than an actual lawsuit, or even just move on and definitely get a new mechanic.

Edited by Guest

Vance brothers in Carp on March road.

Don and Bill....ones cranky as heck, ones personable as heck...both do good work and are good men.

I've been bringing my vehicles to them for over a decade without ever feeling screwed....oh minus the two years I cheated on them and got screwed by another Ottawa mechanic.

If you choose them tell them Julia sent ya...but don't say I said ones a crank-star!