Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

First-round breakdown: [color:red]Canadiens vs. [color:yellow]Bruins

With renaissance seasons in a number of important markets like Chicago and Washington, the Boston's return to the postseason has flown under the radar. But that's pretty much how the Bruins play, which isn't a bad thing.

Boston had developed a reputation for lacking heart, character and leadership over the last decade, but it displayed all of those qualities down the stretch. Despite the loss of leading scorer Marc Savard (back) and point-producing forward Chuck Kobasew (broken shinbone), not to mention Patrice Bergeron, who hasn't played since Oct. 27, the Bruins collected points in nine of 10 games to lock up their first playoff berth since the lockout.

Tim Thomas has shed the "career minor-leaguer" label and can stand alone on his considerable accomplishments as his .921 save percentage was fourth in the NHL heading into Sunday's games. Zdeno Chara should appear on Norris Trophy ballots around the league as he averaged 26:50 a night in ice time, fourth in the league, and made an ordinary blue line look passable.

Now, the bad news. The Bruins have little hope of advancing. That's not because the Montreal Canadiens beat them eight straight times this season (which they did) or because the Habs have beaten the Bruins 11 straight overall (which they have), but because Montreal is superior in almost every category. Picked by most to miss the playoffs (this author included), the Canadiens saw homegrown talent like Mike Komisarek, Chris Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn, Tomas Plekanec and rookie netminder Carey Price take flight. Alexei Kovalev went from locker-room cancer to hero, and the Habs are talking destiny for the first time since 1993.

[color:red]1. The Price is right. Remember the collective "Ooooh" that followed GM Bob Gainey's trade of starter Cristobal Huet to Washington for a second-round draft pick at the trade deadline? Eyebrows raised at the tremendous risk he was taking, handing over the Habs' goaltending chores to the 20-year-old Price and untested Jaroslav Halak. All that seems pretty funny now that the Habs have surged into the playoffs on a 14-4-1 run. [color:red]And Price? The man who won gold at the World Junior Championship last season and guided Hamilton (AHL) to a surprise Calder Cup championship and morphed effortlessly into a front-line NHL netminder, seems completely unfazed by the whole thing. Want a positive indicator that Price is up to the task? After he was sent down to the AHL for a brief period, he returned and became the first under-20 goaltender to win 20 games since Patrick Roy (remember him?) and Tom Barrasso did more than 20 years ago.

2. My aching back. Even if the playoffs make for tighter-checking affairs, the Bruins are still in a big hole when it comes to trying to match the Canadiens' offense. Montreal ranked second in goals per game, while the Bruins were a distant 24th. That's why Savard's health will prove to be a key factor for the Bruins. Savard has been skating, but remains sore. Even if he's ready to start the playoffs, it's hard to imagine he will be at his playmaking best. Still, some Savard is better than no Savard. He still finished the season 22 points ahead of the Bruins' second-leading scorer, Marco Sturm, despite missing the last seven games nursing a broken bone in his back. The other interesting issue if/when the 30-year-old center returns? He will be playing in his very first postseason contest.

3. Depth, depth, depth. When the playoffs begin, the Bruins' lineup will boast one 20-goal scorer (Sturm) and three players who topped the 50-point mark. Montreal? The Canadiens will throw out four 20-goal scorers (Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Higgins) and seven players with 50-plus points (Kovalev, Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Mark Streit, Andrei Markov and Saku Koivu, who is out with a foot injury, but expected to play at some point during the series). That kind of depth puts a tremendous amount of pressure on a team that isn't particularly deep along the blue line.

4. Two degrees of separation? Interesting coaching matchup here as longtime Habs hero Guy Carbonneau gets his first taste of playoff coaching action, while former Habs bench boss Claude Julien gets a chance at postseason redemption. The highly respected Julien was dumped by the Habs after he coached them to a first-round upset of the Bruins (holy symmetry, Batman) in the 2004 playoffs. Julien then went to New Jersey, where GM Lou Lamoriello canned the coach in the last week of the 2006-07 regular season. Given a new lease on coaching life by Boston GM Peter Chiarelli, Julien has made the most of it with an undermanned Bruins team. If he gets the better of Carbonneau early in this series, watch for the rabid Quebec hockey media to make it a cause celebre.

5. The man's got Hart, you say? There has been a growing buzz that Kovalev deserves a place on the Hart Trophy ballot as the league's MVP (or, more specifically, as the player deemed most valuable to his team). It's a bit of a stretch considering Alexander Ovechkin, Jarome Iginla, Evgeni Malkin and Martin Brodeur are the other names out there. But the buzz illustrates what has been a seismic reversal of fortune for the talented forward. Last season, there were stories both in North America and Russia suggesting Kovalev and Carbonneau couldn't co-exist, that Kovalev was undermining Carbonneau's influence, that he'd lost his touch and he was dragging the team down. This year, Kovalev has acted as mentor to the Kostitsyn brothers, both of whom were integral parts of the Habs' success. Kovalev leads the club in goals (35) and points (84), and his 17 power-play markers were tied for fourth in the league. With Koivu nursing a broken bone in his foot, Kovalev will be counted on even more for his leadership.

• Montreal's power play vs. Boston's penalty killing. The Montreal Canadiens boast the NHL's most potent power play and the Boston Bruins have the 28th-ranked penalty-killing unit. That's not a matchup, that's a mismatch. If the Bruins can't find a way to shut down the Habs on the power play, this series will be over in a hurry.

• Canadiens: Kovalev has 21 points in his last 18 games. Plekanec has scored just once in his last 13.

• Bruins: Center David Krejci, filling in for the injured Savard, has nine points in his last 11 games. The Bruins have not advanced to the second round of the playoffs since 1999 and haven't advanced to a conference championship since 1992.

The Bruins won't go away easily, but with 11 first-time playoff performers, go away they will. [color:red]Canadiens in six.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GAME 1: BRUINS @ CANADIENS THU 7:00 PM

GAME 2: BRUINS @ CANADIENS SAT 7:00 PM

GAME 3: CANADIENS @ BRUINS SUN 7:00 PM

GAME 4: CANADIENS @ BRUINS TUE 7:00 PM

GAME 5: BRUINS @ CANADIENS THU 7:00 PM

GAME 6: CANADIENS @ BRUINS SAT TBD

GAME 7: BRUINS @ CANADIENS MON TBD

Guest Low Roller
Hey Roller, why did you delete your earlier comment about the Habs raising an Eastern Conference Champions banner to the rafters?

Did you finally realize no one but Sens fans give a shit about those banners? Or did you realize the reality?

If you must know, then yes, I did not realize that the Habs did not raise regular season banners until I read about it somewhere after my initial post. I amended my post appropriately to avoid ridicule by your hateful ass. Not all of us have the luxury of being fresh off of a visit to the Bell Centre where you probably noticed the same thing.

It had nothing to do with a "fresh" visit. Not too mention the fact that if/when teams decide to put up a banner for Eastern Conference Champions, they do it after they win that crown in the playoffs.

Go over to Kanada Kev's house and stop cheering for the Habs.

Guest Low Roller

Booche may have touched several Montreal rippers. I think that's all that any virus-minded person needs to know when considering whether or not to let him into their house.

Guest Low Roller

On the Montreal Canadiens website you can vote for which 10 games you want included in an anniversary DVD being released next year. The choices are:

April 14, 1960: Canadiens beat Toronto 4-0 and win their 5th consecutive Stanley Cup

Dec. 31, 1974: The Habs tie the Central Red Army 3-3

June 16, 1976: Montreal defeat the champions Flyers and launch a new dynasty

May 14, 1977: Canadiens beat Boston 2-1, setting a regular season record of 60-8-12

May 10, 1979: The "too many men" game in which the Habs beat the Bruins 5-4 in overtime

April 20, 1984: The God Friday clash with the Nordiques, won by Montreal 5-3

April 29, 1986: Montreal beats the Hartford Whalers in overtime on Claude Lemieux's goal

May 24, 1986: Roy makes history as Montreal beats Calgary 4-3 for their 23nd Stanley Cup

June 6, 1993: The "McSorley Stick" game in which the Canadiens beat the Kings 3-2 in OT

June 9, 1993: Montreal beats Los Angeles 4-1 for their 24th Stanley Cup

May 11, 1996: The Forum Farewell game, Habs beat Dallas 4-1

April 9, 2002: Saku Koivu defeats cancer and the Ottawa Senators 4-3

Nov. 22, 2003: The Heritage Classic, in which the Canadiens defeat the Oilers 4-3

April 19, 2004: Habs come back from 3 games to 1, and clinch series with a 2-0 win over Boston

Feb. 19, 2008: Canadiens come back from a 5 goal deficit to beat Rangers 6-5 in overtime

Barrett and I watched a few of these together!

June 16, 1976: Montreal defeat the champions Flyers and launch a new dynasty

May 10, 1979: The "too many men" game in which the Habs beat the Bruins 5-4 in overtime

April 20, 1984: The God Friday clash with the Nordiques, won by Montreal 5-3

May 24, 1986: Roy makes history as Montreal beats Calgary 4-3 for their 23nd Stanley Cup

June 6, 1993: The "McSorley Stick" game in which the Canadiens beat the Kings 3-2 in OT

Nov. 22, 2003: The Heritage Classic, in which the Canadiens defeat the Oilers 4-3

Feb. 19, 2008: Canadiens come back from a 5 goal deficit to beat Rangers 6-5 in overtime

Guest Low Roller

My choices are somewhat similar:

May 14, 1977: Canadiens beat Boston 2-1, setting a regular season record of 60-8-12

April 29, 1986: Montreal beats the Hartford Whalers in overtime on Claude Lemieux's goal

(I'm including this one because it was possibly my first freak-out moment while watching the Habs. I was 9 years old at the time.)

June 9, 1993: Montreal beats Los Angeles 4-1 for their 24th Stanley Cup

Barrett and I watched a few of these together!

In 1986 my Dad took me to see a potential 'rematch' of these teams. The Red Army beat the Montreal Canadiens 6 to 1. Not nearly as good :(

I certainly don't remember the 74 game, but I sure do remember the Stanley Cup win in '76! That was huge. One of my first hockey memories... ahhhh, to be 6 again living and breathing hockey (my almost 6-year-old is doing it now and it's amazing to see).

Edited by Guest