Jambands.ca

more rockstar:supernova Ottawa gigs

thatpatguy

I've got no interest in these gigs either.. and it blows me away that they are doing these as parking lot gigs inside heated tents.

One thing I have noticed though is that The Thirsty Toad is really trying to market itself to a larger touring band (as supposed to local bands). That's great if they can get the bodies out to support it. Ottawa needs more rooms to bring in bigger bands.

well.. I think they are just starting up with trying to pull bigger bands in.

From the email I got this morning they were sending around a list of gear they have, plus they listed what they offer the band (band room size, tour bus parking, stuff like that) and then went on to say that they are finishing building their permanent stage.

So.. though I don't think it's an exciting place yet, it may be a place to keep your eye on.

Sure this Rockstar:Supernova stuff is a good cash grab, but hopefully they use this to get some money and press and start bringing other bands in that aren't as gimicky if that's the right word.. know what I mean?

They have an interesting promotion on Thursdays:

FUNKN' REVERSE COVER THURSDAYS

With Camp Best Friends Band

Come out to the Thirsty Toad for Funkin' Reverse Cover Thursdays.

Instead of you paying $5.00 to get in, we give you $5.00 CASH for you to use however you want.

Come and groove to the sounds of Nice, Nice and the Niceness aka "Camp Best Friends" who will be playing all night long.

Aloha,

Brad

I saw the Iron Maiden on Monday in T.O. and Bruce Dikinson made a point of saying that reality showslike Rockstar:Supernova do not create bands, they create brands and they are simply a long expensive commercial! He then proceed to tell the audience that they dersverve better and must demand it. TO that the entire ACC erupted in thuderous applause!

I could not agree more! I also fuckin' hate that the mouthpiece that won, is a Canadian dude! Uggh!

Everyone needs to calm down about winning these reality shows. it's just a sexed up Karkoe contest!

Edited by Guest

I saw the Iron Maiden on Monday in T.O. and Bruce Dikinson made a point of saying that reality showslike Rockstar:Supernova do not create bands, they create brands and they are simply a long expensive commercial! He then proceed to tell the audience that they dersverve better and must demand it. TO that the entire ACC erupted in thuderous applause!

I could not agree more! I also fuckin' hate that the mouthpiece that won, is a Canadian dude! Uggh!

Everyone needs to calm down about winning these reality shows. it's just a sexed up Karkoe contest!

as much as I agree with Bruce's statement, that it creates brands more than bands, I have to say, the real trick to Rockstar was to not win, but stick around long enough to start playing some originals.

There's not way that it was a coincidence that all these guys who started to play originals all had records ready to release as soon as they were voted off.

You get on the show, get some hype going, play your lead single off your album to the large TV audience, get voted off (so you aren't stuck with the contract they'll make you sign when you win) and use the promotion from being on the show to get people to come out to your shows. Sounds like a half decent plan to me.

Buy our Maiden concert tix, shirts, posters, CDs, keychains, on the way out ... but don't call us capitalists!

Pot calling the kettle black...

Really, give credit where credit is due. If NKOTB make millions by milking the demand of prepubescent girls, good on 'em. They found a way to make a bigger buck! Same with Rockstar. If people are entertained (even if it doesn't reflect your taste) they will be willing to spend their money on it.

Iron Maiden is not a brand? I'd say it's one of the most successful brands in heavy metal history. I love Bruce but he's been living off the legacy of that brand for the past 15 years.

The music industry is about making money. Period.

I think the point Bruce was making is that Maiden was created by a group of musicians that wanted to play music together. They were not created by a TV show or by a record label.

Yes the do sell mech and are a brand unto themselves. I don't think he was indicating a band should make money and sell thier merch. But I think what he is saying is that with Rockstar:Supernova, the selling, image and branding is paramount and the music is a by product and totally disposable. And in that context I agree. Furthermore the band is branding for the label not the band itself.

And yes the music insudtry is about making money. True. But musicians should be about making music and the money should be the by product, nit the other way around.

Also no one will ever take you seriouly as a musician and you will never be respected by your peers if you win a contest! Pay yer dues! Learn to play your instrument too.

Edited by Guest

Also no one will ever take you seriouly as a musician and you will never be respected by your peers if you win a contest! Pay yer dues! Learn to play your instrument too.

Tell that to Grammy award winning and multi-platinum recording artist Kelly Clarkson.

Also a little ironic coming from Maiden given that they kept the machine going with a mediocre replacement singer after Dickinson left in the early '90s (and of course Bruce himself was a replacement singer). Sure it wasn't done on a TV show but who knows how much influence the label had in that.

I don't think he was indicating a band should make money and sell thier merch. But I think what he is saying is that with Rockstar:Supernova, the selling, image and branding is paramount and the music is a by product and totally disposable. And in that context I agree. Furthermore the band is branding for the label not the band itself.

Again, that's a matter of personal preference. There will be a market for people wanting to spend money on Supernova. To them, it's of some value. Just like there are people who think RATT was great and still listen to their music and buy their brand.

But musicians should be about making music and the money should be the by product, nit the other way around.

Agreed. That what it should be about. However, by the time most acts are playing arenas and larger venues it is more about the money. Otherwise, they'd be doing multi-night runs in smaller venues grossing wayyy less revenues.

Pay yer dues! Learn to play your instrument too.

Just like all those musicians from the punk movement in the 70s learned to play their instruments so well? It was about NOT playing them in tune, or needing to have had classical training, and demystifying the perceived pompousness of the grand scale prog rock emenating from the 70s.

I do agree with you. However, it all comes down to one person's opinon on what "sucks" and their definition thereof.

One man gathers what another man spills . . .

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

ps - i admit it, i am going to see Supernova (comp tix and I plan on PARTYING like a rockstar ). I'll probably be kicked out, or passed out, before the show is over/started )

I don't think he was indicating a band should make money and sell thier merch. But I think what he is saying is that with Rockstar:Supernova' date=' the selling, image and branding is paramount and the music is a by product and totally disposable. And in that context I agree. Furthermore the band is branding for the label not the band itself.[/quote']

Again, that's a matter of personal preference. There will be a market for people wanting to spend money on Supernova. To them, it's of some value. Just like there are people who think RATT was great and still listen to their music and buy their brand.

But musicians should be about making music and the money should be the by product, nit the other way around.

Agreed. That what it should be about. However, by the time most acts are playing arenas and larger venues it is more about the money. Otherwise, they'd be doing multi-night runs in smaller venues grossing wayyy less revenues.

Pay yer dues! Learn to play your instrument too.

Just like all those musicians from the punk movement in the 70s learned to play their instruments so well? It was about NOT playing them in tune, or needing to have had classical training, and demystifying the perceived pompousness of the grand scale prog rock emenating from the 70s.

I do agree with you. However, it all comes down to one person's opinon on what "sucks" and their definition thereof.

One man gathers what another man spills . . .

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

ps - i admit it, i am going to see Supernova (comp tix and I plan on PARTYING like a rockstar ). I'll probably be kicked out, or passed out, before the show is over/started )

Excellent Kanada Kev! Party it up get smashed and punch a little EMO makeup wearing kid int he mouth for me! hahahahaha!