Jambands.ca

The Dave Show (Lauzon article)

zero

Good article Luke. I'm glad it wasn't too much longer though. Theres much to be said for an article that gets to the point, and if it was too long you'd probably lose a lot of the readers who don't necessarily have any interest in nero or Dave. Very nicely articulation of the jamband struggle for recognition. The title doesn't have "After Nero" in it.

I appologize if I offended anyone, my point wasn't that a there was any problem writing about Dave or that the articles weren't well written... it's just that it's unfortunate that when The Jimmy Swift Band undertake a CD Release Tour, they do it as a publicity stunt to get press on their new CD, and that it's unfornuate that for whatever reason the openning act instead got the press.

The Jimmy Swift Band has fought tooth and nail to build their reputation and fanbase, nothing has come easy for this band and it's unfortunate that it is also not easy for this band to get press.

I had a great chat last night with Luke, and I think that the whole debacle could have been avoided had I not made such a short off hand comment, what I said was open to interpretation and I will be clearer in my posts, as I do feel it is a problem with many messageboards that members tent to write short curt (and often negative) statements to trash some well written posts, avoiding the opportunity to have healthy exchange of ideas.

I enjoyed reading the article.

As we've seen more than once, message boards have their drawbacks as a forum for healthy communication.

Thanks to zero, Jaydawg, kitkat, and everyone else who does what they can to give musicians and bands such as Dave Lauzon and JSB the publicity and press they deserve.

Peace, Mark

I think that the whole debacle could have been avoided had I not made such a short off hand comment, what I said was open to interpretation and I will be clearer in my posts, as I do feel it is a problem with many messageboards that members tent to write short curt (and often negative) statements to trash some well written posts, avoiding the opportunity to have healthy exchange of ideas.

Does this apply here as well?

as I do feel it is a problem with many messageboards that members tent to write short curt (and often negative) statements to trash some well written posts, avoiding the opportunity to have healthy exchange of ideas.

i never write well written posts.

that said we all should be grateful to jay for the hard work he does try to bring the music some of use like to town. remember he is the one that puts his money up... he takes the loss when shows go bad. i find it funny that everyone think that jay should owe them something because they handed out a flyer here and there. (not talking about anybody specifically, just a general comment)

Yeah this is all smoothed over. It just came off like a real kick in the teeth. I've known Jay a long time and we have a lot of similar experience (writing, promoting, scenestering). For someone who is a writer, publicist, promoter it was a kind of inconsiderate remark. I think Lara said it best that we don't write the stuff for thanks. I mean I am going to write about whoever I write about irrespective of if they, the promoter, club manager/owner thanks me. Given the amount of time (largely unpaid given the shit rate of remuneration) that goes into it the work is basically volunteer in my eyes. Thanks is appropriate and almost always offered by sensible people. It's not like I'm going to start burning a promoter, if their acts are good I'll cover them, but it does make you not want to support them. I'm not talking about Jay here so much as a handful of experiences I've had recently. It's a real kick in the teeth is all. More than anything I'm finding you have to have a real iron tenacity- that's something I've always had but usually oscillating to intense self-doubt- I can't afford the latter so much anymore.

Last night was amazing. Dave was in top form and it was amazing to just hang out and have a lot of time together. It's always so odd when you spend a day with someone and see how their day went and then see where it (their day) might be coming out in the music. JSB were definitely not in the 'rock' mode last night. I found it was a major throwdown pretty thick on the jamming. My friend Julian got some fucking great pics we'll have to put them up soon.

So great seeing the handful of people from around (Bear, Damian, Schwa, Rich from Slammin' Jack who's back in Guelph, the Thunder boys, most everyone who wandered through my apartment who I'm not sure who they are).