Jambands.ca

Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum

Kanada Kev

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome game! Lots of excitement and great play by both teams.

Sure, lots of excitement if you enjoy watching two teams make turnover after turnover and defensive zone blunder after blunder. I like seeing lots of goals as much as the next guy, but that was some shitty hockey last night, regardless of the result.

And I don't know why they're talking about the refs making the difference in the other thread? I've still never seen a ref blow his coverage in front of the net. ;)

Well, I am actually going to cheer for the Leafs to win tonight. It has been a long time, but seeing as they have decided to play great hockey and remove themselves from the Lottery sweepstakes, I figured it was time to switch back. I haven't watched much Leaf hockey lately because I find it very hard to watch my team, when all I want them to do is lose. So here we go again, GO LEAFS GO!!!

gut-check or up-chuck :)

It ain't been the prettiest hockey all the time, but the last couple of weeks has been pretty damn good for the Leafs. They'll still end up a point or two out, but they can be killer spoilers in the playoff race that's for sure.

With Sundin and Antropov out there are a lot of guys getting extra ice time.

Good = Stajan

Bad = White (what the fuck is inside that guy's helmet?) :P

Bad = White (what the fuck is inside that guy's helmet?) :P

Maurice and Damien Cox seem to like him

Ian White, down to under 10 minutes of playing time six weeks ago, was awarded a season-high 25:26 against Ottawa and thrived.

"When you're down in minutes, you just don't seem to be into it as much," he said yesterday. "But right now, it doesn't seem to matter who's dressing for us."

Maurice and Damien Cox seem to like him

I don't know what game Cox was watching. In the Ottawa game he was nothing close to "thriving". Seriously, check out the numbers:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/ES021128.HTM

He was on par with the "thriving" Wade Redden!!!

Ian White, down to under 10 minutes of playing time six weeks ago, was awarded a season-high 25:26 against Ottawa and thrived.

Same thing in the previous 2 games. Other than getting a +1 rating against the Islanders (where all the other D did well) he hasn't been a standout by any means.

I guess for White, "thriving" doesn't mean being really good and getting points, blocking shots, staying out of the box, etc. but rather not being COMPLETELY brutal for an entire 3 period span :P

I'd rather see McCabe on the ice than White (and that can be really scary sometimes) ;)

Ugh ... oh well, at least it's gotta be a reality to people now that it's officially over.

Frustrating game for sure. McCabe's typical dumbass move not holding the blue line, and sucking out with shooting the puck over the boards after a goal blew it IMHO. Despite a couple of brutal calls (Steen's goaltender interference and the non-call on Wellwood being taken down) they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Why the hell wasn't Williams on the ice a little more? I think I only noticed him at the end of the game!

PFFT.

double-negative = positive

so ... you WANT Boston in the playoffs. I fully understand why (reg season record against 'em ) and the fact that Washington seems wayy more dangerous.

As with the Ottawa game the other night, the Habs (and Price especially) looked a lot better when it was a closer game. The challenge of Washington may to them better as opposed to going 4 streit against Btown and having a week off? :)

A few obituaries, from the Hockey Capital Blog

National Post: "A team that loses its second-leading scorer, who crumples with a knee injury; that loses the star-crossed kid who seemed to have made it, only to fall again; that loses its best player, just as the old lion was roaring loudest. He only had one more day until retirement, damnit. Or one year. Whatever."

Toronto Star: "The loss sealed the Leafs' fate, and possibly Paul Maurice's, unless the new hockey boss looks at the past two non-playoff seasons and identifies progress. The goodwill generated by good efforts in recent days was rudely washed away by a stark reminder that when opportunity was still very much at hand, these Leafs weren't even close. Not even close."

Toronto Sun: "The setback put the Leafs six points behind the Bruins, who have 86 points, for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Toronto has five games remaining, including tomorrow night in Beantown, but the players might want to stop kidding themselves and head down to the basement to dust off the golf clubs."

Globe and Mail: "The big tease known as the Toronto Maple Leafs in recent weeks stopped tormenting their beloved fans last night. The Leafs' dream of a miracle, late-season run at an NHL playoff berth all but died with their 6-2 loss to the Boston Bruins."

TSN: "When mild-mannered Matt Stajan kicked a sock across the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room, you knew this wasn't your run-of-the-mill loss. This one stung big time. The players wouldn't say it, but Tuesday night's 6-2 defeat to the visiting Boston Bruins very much felt like the last game of the year. At least the last game that mattered."

Reuters (via UK Guardian): "A grim-faced capacity crowd quietly exited the Air Canada Centre knowing the Leafs are poised to miss the playoffs for a third straight year, the storied franchise's longest post-season barren stretch in 80 years."

Sportsnet: "That's why this annual sprint for 8th spot is such a huge insult. In a market the size of Toronto that features an organization rolling in dough and a devoted fan base, it's a joke that the Leafs have been so pathetic for so long."

The Hockey News: "It must irk Leaf fans to see how teams like Chicago (Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane), Washington (Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom), Edmonton (Andrew Cogliano, Sam Gagner), Pittsburgh (Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin) and Anaheim (Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Stanley Cup) have positioned themselves with youth while Toronto, year after year, nearly makes the playoffs and winds up with a lousy draft pick."

Battle of Ontario blog: "Is there anything to look forward to next year? Some of the performances since the last time the Leafs were written off might provide some solace until you remember that they did the same thing last year...and the year before that..."

Pension Plan Puppets blog: "Thank God Uncle Cliff wasn't fooled by these Leaf punks. I mean, Krecji and some other kid I had never heard of had two point nights for the Bruins. How could they let that happen? Gah, I hate the Leafs so much this morning. Why do we do this to ourselves?"

TSN: "When mild-mannered Matt Stajan kicked a sock across the Toronto Maple Leafs dressing room, you knew this wasn't your run-of-the-mill loss. This one stung big time. The players wouldn't say it, but Tuesday night's 6-2 defeat to the visiting Boston Bruins very much felt like the last game of the year. At least the last game that mattered."

Hilarious