Jambands.ca

Tin-of-tuna suggestions?

bradm

On an impulse while shopping yesterday, I picked up a tin of flaked white tuna (in water). Aside from making tuna salad, or spreading it on bread with cheese for tuna melts, I'm at a loss as to what else to make with it. Does anybody have any suggestion? (Note that I don't want to make a full tuna casserole.)

Aloha,

Brad

U can make a salad with it.. I had a spicy tuna salad in Thailand that was just some chili peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, probably some sort of oil, lime juice..it was really yum!

Also, maybe U can make some sushi with it??

One of my fav, things ever is the pasta tuna salad with Mayo, Tuna, pasta and celery...

yum... I feel like eating tuna now too!

1. KD and tuna with green onions and mushrooms.

2. Better and healthier is a Salade Nicoise. Some stuffy frenchmen will poo poo you for not using a tuna steak but it's a tasty main dish salad. Here's one recipe I used last week that came out great (just toss some vinaigrette in with the flaked tuna):

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108337

take a couple of tins of good tuna and mix it thoroughly with ricotta and parmesan cheeses, anchovy paste (or chopped fillets), minced garlic and thin slices of roasted red peppers.

Then use this mixture to stuff manicotti shells. Bake them off under some good tomato sauce, or a bechamel suace, or rosee sauce, whatever.

Serve it with a salad. Yum!

take a couple of tins of good tuna and mix it thoroughly with ricotta and parmesan cheeses, anchovy paste (or chopped fillets), minced garlic and thin slices of roasted red peppers.

Then use this mixture to stuff manicotti shells. Bake them off under some good tomato sauce, or a bechamel suace, or rosee sauce, whatever.

Serve it with a salad. Yum!

I really want to have dinner with you now. I may combine this idea with M.O.B.E.'s idea of using rolled-up fresh lasagna noodles.

What I did last week (and what I may do again tonight) is just boil up some pennini (little penne) noodles along with frozen mixed vegetables, toss with the tuna and some flavourful oil, and eat, as kind of a tuna/noodle pasta/salad dish.

Aloha,

Brad

I've done Brad's thing with Pesto and it's pretty good. MarcO I like how you think.

Incidentally my franco-Ontarien roommate in university would pull his shirt up over his nose anytime someone made KD and tuna. or even just opened a can of tuna for some other reason.

Another favorite of mine is to buy the really really good tuna in olive oil, add s&p and layer it on toast with sauerkraut and gruyere and broil it until the cheese melts. Kind of a Tuna Reuben I guess.

I had an idea over the weekend, but I'm not sure it would work: tuna cakes. Similar to crab cakes (or what I think of as crab cakes), it would involve making a (thin, maybe 1/4" of 3/8") patty out of tuna, onions, spices, and maybe breadcrumbs + beaten egg to hold it together. Coat in flour, egg wash, and breadcrumbs, and then shallow-fry until golden brown.

I'm wondering how well it'll work. Anybody have any ideas?

Aloha,

Brad

Tuna CAsserole

2 cups of cooked macaroni

1 c.tuna(drained)

1c.cream of mushroom soup

a bit of milk

shredded cheese

salt,pepper

onions

Mix all this together in a casserole dish.

cover with cracker crumbs

Cook at 350 for half an hour or less.

Or if you have a microwave cook on high until heated through maybe 10 minutes.

I make mine very similar but I use brown rice instead of pasta :)

Today I did:

1 clove of minced garlic

1 green chilie

1 tsp red chilie powder

handful of mushrooms

3 green onions

can on tuna

Fry the garlic and chilie in half the butter you would normally stir into the mix at the end. reduce and add the rest of the milk and butter. Then toss with the pasta.

• 2 weeks later...