Jambands.ca

The Slip?

OB1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's one of the things that's making me not want to do the Guelph > Hamilton > Toronto run: three acts before The Slip in Guelph and Hamilton, two before The Slip in Toronto. Add in the likelihood of The Slip playing very similar set lists from night to night (not to mention similar ones to ones they've played recently), and I'm passing on this run and waiting for the Ottawa show (at which there'll be two openers).

Aloha,

Brad

Lovely Feathers and Land of Talk are both great great bands.

For me there is no problem at all seeing great music in a great bar.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at the calibre of these bands, and I hope the Slip notice and tear the roof(s) off the sucka(s). 90 minutes of full-on Slip is better than 120 minutes of full-on with a lukewarm middle-of-set Slip.

AD

Wow. I totally agree. What the hell is the deal with that anyway?

My guess is the promoter is bringing in some openers that have both a buzz and a following up here to fil out the room. I don't think the Slip has much of either up here yet, sadly. (Among people that don't frequent this board anyways.....)

No one is making you show up early enough to see the openers. If you're not interested, don't go. I'm not sure why anyone would bitch about the opportunity to be exposed to some bands that they don't know about, especially when some others on the board have been expressing enthusiasm about how good those particular bands are.

No one is making you show up early enough to see the openers. If you're not interested, don't go. I'm not sure why anyone would bitch about the opportunity to be exposed to some bands that they don't know about, especially when some others on the board have been expressing enthusiasm about how good those particular bands are.

I would 'bitch' because it means laying money down for bands I'm not interested in seeing and seeing less of the band I'm paying to see. The 'enthusiasm' being expressed by others does little to convince me. I don't mind catching an opening band and potentially finding something new that I enjoy but when I'm paying good money for a show and 3/4 of the bands are unknown to me and I'm not particularily interested in them, that's potentially something to bitch about.

Anyway, I'll definitely go to the show and I know I'll have a good time.

i've noticed that at the casbah, when there are a bunch of opening acts they're pretty good about playing short sets so that the main act can play for a good 90+ mins.

i hope this happens at these shows. i love seeing new acts, but the reason i'm there is to see the slip and i'd hate to get an hour long set because someone couldn't let go of the mic.

that said.....sooooo looking foward to this show. i'm thinking about getting a keg for after occurances at my place in hamilton. could i get a general opinion from people coming to the show on if that's a good idea or not?

nope thats an error on the slip's website.

the billing for all 4 shows are

DECEMBER 7th - VINYL, GUELPH, ON

w/ The Lovely Feather and Kill The Lights

DECEMBER 8th - PEPPERJACKS CAFE HAMILTON, ON

w/ The Lovely Feather and Kill The Lights

DECEMBER 9th - EL MOCAMBO, TORONTO, ON

w/ Kill The Lights

DECEMBER 15th- BERRYMORE'S MUSIC HALL, OTTAWA, ON

w/The Lovely Feathers and Land Of Talk

and as stated before the slip are contracted to play a minimum 90min+++++++ set.

as for change over, it should be no less then 10min per act. with the slip hitting the stage at midnight every night.

Edited by Guest

and as stated before the slip are contracted to play a minimum 90min+++++++ set.

Right! And this is why I can't understand the complaints - since The Slip are playing a minimum 90-minute set, even if there were four bands on the bill ahead of them, all it would really mean is that the show would have to start at a much earlier time, not that The Slip's playing time would be reduced. Unless I am mistaken, length of performance is usually part of any contract between a promoter and a performer.

Sure, but the bar doesn't have to close at 2 AM - they just have to stop serving alcohol. I've been at plenty of bar shows that have ended a lot closer to 3 AM than to 2 AM. As for the 2-set deal, hey - I would want that too! But as far as I know, this entire tour has been a one-set, ~90 minute show - which I believe would mostly be the band's choice. I'm sure you would see fewer openers if it had been a 2-set show.

I think I'm just getting tired of hearing so many complaints about these shows. Everyone is going on about how much they want to see The Slip playing in their hometowns, and as soon as the tour is announced everyone starts complaining: the shows are too short, why aren't they playing two sets, they're repeating the same material too much, there are too many opening bands, they aren't playing a private party at my house, blah blah blah. If I were Shane, I'd be rather pissed that my work is being criticized rather than praised.

You bastards should be thankful that you get any shows at all.

Sure, but the bar doesn't have to close at 2 AM - they just have to stop serving alcohol. I've been at plenty of bar shows that have ended a lot closer to 3 AM than to 2 AM. As for the 2-set deal, hey - I would want that too! But as far as I know, this entire tour has been a one-set, ~90 minute show - which I believe would mostly be the band's choice. I'm sure you would see fewer openers if it had been a 2-set show.

i know hamilton and toronto wont have a huge issue with bands playing after 2am.