Jambands.ca

MSMW album

FunkyBeats

I've never seen it happen with a guitarist, and to be honest, I've only seen MMW once. But I'm itchin' for another experience. My only MMW experience was in Toronto at the Guvernment on Oct. 30, 1999 and I was mesmerized by Billy Martin ... I don't think I've ever seen a drummer hit so many drums in so many ways.

A guitarist added to the MMW mix live would be superlicious I am sure.

Peace, Mark

I understand what your are saying, I generally don't look to MMW and Sco for beautiful, I look for funk and am often disappointed with free form jazz in the live environment, however this is an album that needs serious listening and while it may not eclipse A Go-Go I think it has a lot more to say than what you may hear at first glance.

P.S. I may be influenced by my recent acquisition of Phil & friends with Sco at the Warfield, Nice, I like!

I'm finding it directionless and generally lacking in ideas. I don't really want to hear these guys do 'beautiful' I guess. A Go-Go means a lot to me and this doesn't touch it.

Unfortunately I agree. In my opinion this album couldn't have taken more than an afternoon to record. It wouldn't hurt to play in key for a few bars. I mean I love tension but if thats all there is I get bored. That being said MMW and Scofield are some of the most talented musicians there is. I would go out of my way to see them live though, too bad theres no canadian dates.

I thought that this bad boy was a solid listen. No question, not A Go Go, but remember--that was a John Scofield album, this is MSMW and the influence here is clearly dominated by the MMW side of things. The Out in Out Louder implies that this one is a bit more out there and as always, out there becomes less accessable to the masses.