Jambands.ca

X

Joan

wow there's people talking in the politics forum

that was a quality evening/afternoon

"The World needs Canada!"

"People between 16 and 35 must get involved."

"How can you back out of Kyoto and then say you must stay in Afghanistan so as not to break your promise."

lots of great

Nice one, PT! :)

I wonder how the greens feel about this? I bet it takes some wind out of their sails in terms of polling. Just when they seemed to be pulling themselves together.

Wondering the same thing. If Dion can really sell a progressive and G/green vision, the Liberals might be able to reverse the - slow but steady - growth of the Greens, and further marginalize the NDP. Not to mention really distinguish themselves from the Conservatives in all those ways that people suspected the two major parties differed only in rhetoric, but not action.

Should be interesting.

during the coverage, i heard some discussion about non-voting during the first ballot. im kinda curious as to how a delegate can say they are voting for X on the first ballot, and then either not vote for X, or abstain (perhaps some even voted for Y? dunno). isnt there an obligation to vote for X, if your riding has (s)elected you (at least partially) on the basis that you will vote for X?

it was actually kinda fun to watch some of the coverage. im nowhere near the political junkie i used to be, but this convention got my juices flowing.

Edited by Guest

i heard some discussion about non-voting during the first ballot. im kinda curious as to how a delegate can say they are voting for X on the first ballot, and then either not vote for X, or abstain (perhaps some even voted for Y? dunno). isnt there an obligation to vote for X, if your riding has (s)elected you (at least partially) on the basis that you will vote for X?

Not too sure about the first ballot, except that there seemed to be some confusion about what time delegates needed to be there or something. On CPAC that night one of the organizers was looking a bit put out about the whole thing and mumbled something about not having done a good enough job getting the word out to delegates.

There were a lot of missed votes on the second ballot (first ballot on Saturday morning) that were attributed to people sleeping in. (As Hux said, free booze ...)

... I suspect not voting was likely the only way for a delegate's first round ballot not to count.

they suggested on TV that some delegates did not vote intentionally. i seem to recall something about the commentators saying that the pres. of a local youth wing said that they were selected in their riding and sent to the convention to vote for Iggy, but they didnt vote on the first ballot because they didnt want to vote for him. maybe i heard it wrong.