Jambands.ca

Ecstasy?

\/\/illy

Small doses of ecstasy can cause brain damage, scans suggest

[color:gray]Last Updated: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 | 1:25 PM ET

[color:gray]CBC News

Taking small amounts of the club drug ecstasy can harm the brain, even after just one use, brain scans show.

Researchers from the Netherlands looked for subtle brain cell damage in first time users of ecstasy — an illegal drug that acts as a stimulant and psychedelic.

"We found a decrease in blood circulation in some areas of the brain in young adults who just started to use ecstasy," said Dr. Maartje de Win of the University of Amsterdam. The results of the new study were presented Monday at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America in Chicago.

"In addition, we found a relative decrease in verbal memory performance in ecstasy users compared to non-users."

De Win's team used brain imaging techniques to study 59 young adults who used ecstasy for the first time, and 59 non-users. People who took the drug used six tablets on average.

After 18 months, those who took low doses of ecstasy showed no severe damage to neurons or mood.

Unknown if effects permanent

But there was evidence of changes in the structure of brain cells as well as decreased blood flow to certain regions of the brain. Users of ecstasy, also called MDMA (methylenedioxymethamphetamine) had trouble performing some memory tests.

Heavy use of ecstasy and long-term use are known to damage neurons and cause depression, anxiety, confusion, trouble sleeping and memory problems, but until now, researchers hadn't examined the side-effects of low doses in first-time users.

"We do not know if these effects are transient or permanent," de Win said. "Therefore, we cannot conclude that ecstasy, even in small doses, is safe for the brain, and people should be informed of this risk."

Small doses of ecstasy may be prescribed for people who need psychotherapy, but the results suggest the practice should be discouraged, the researchers concluded.

Ya take the good, ya take the bad, ya take them all and there ya have the facts of E, the facts of E...

yeah, I tried E 'once' and ended up having a lot of fun, meeting new people, made friends with a blade of grass, had a wicked conversation with everyone, tied up loose ends, had some spiritual revelations, had the best piece of gum in my entire life, and learned to appreciate fun as the new 'f' word...so I guess I'm going to be one of the long term experiments in e usage...I'll let ya know how it goes...if I remember

always enjoyed MDMA, it's enhanced my life greatly. Never felt bad physically from it or mentally.

I have a good job, cool band and 4yrs honours degree.

Bottom line: Everyone reacts to checmicals different. If you don't treat your body right on that stuff you can hurt yourself. As with any substance.

No for the unprepared, nieve or foolish.

But those of us with egnough smarts to get tonnes of rest after, eat while high, drink lots of fluids, not overexert and take lots of vitamin supplememnts to replenish..and not overdoo it

,,,,well game on.

Edited by Guest

always enjoyed MDMA, it's enhanced my life greatly. Never felt bad physically from it or mentally.

Bottom line: Everyone reacts to checmicals different. If you don't treat your body right on that stuff you can hurt yourself. As with any substance.

But those of us with egnough smarts to get tonnes of rest after, eat while high, drink lots of fluids, not overexert and take lots of vitamin supplememnts to replenish..and not overdoo it

,,,,well game on.

Well I agree and disagree with you. While short term, I feel like I have no ill-effects from doing e (even the day after, very rarely do I have a "hangover") the long term effects of it are still greatly undetermined.

Edited by Guest

,,,,well game on.

But what does your brain scan say?

The article refers to the man as suffering permanent damage to the muscles in his neck and mouth affecting his ability to open his mouth-THANK GOD.

My empathy would stop at listening to the scrambled, self inflicted delusions of someone completley unaware they have no short term memory.

jayr I dont think it really is an expensive habit-I mean on par with others anyway.Bulk buying I doubt would cost more than 50$ a day/per 25 and probably less.Much less expensive then alot of hobbies.