Jambands.ca

the who at the acc last night ...

mark tonin

setlist anyone? thanks!

Courtesty of The Who Concert Guide:

04.12.2006: Toronto, ON, Air Canada Centre

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, They Made My Dream Come True, Mirror Door, Baba O'Riley, Eminence Front, A Man In A Purple Dress, Black Widow's Eyes, Mike Post Theme, You Better You Bet, My Generation, Cry If You Want, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't mean to insult Simon Townshend's playing. In fact, I couldn't if I tried, because no matter how hard I tried to listen for him I never did hear a note come out of his guitar.

I do agree, though, Brad that he was probably somewhere in the mix, but I couldn't sense it.

(That's very cool that he is currently in a band with a Stiff Little Finger. I have to check that band out.)

Anyone know anything about him, or is it just as I suspect that he said, "Come on Pete, I've always wanted to be in The Who. This is probably my last chance. Pretty please!"

The first time I saw Simon was at a Roger Daltry show. He did a tour billed as "Daltry sings Townshend". It was up at Kingswood and was a surprisingly great show. He had a mini-orchestra backing the band in which Simon was on lead. Simon had the sound and stage-presence of Pete at that show. Add to that, the OX came out and played bass for almost half of the show!!!

I thinkn Simon has played with the Who in more recent years too, hasn't he?

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

I certainly don't mean to insult Simon Townshend's playing. In fact, I couldn't if I tried, because no matter how hard I tried to listen for him I never did hear a note come out of his guitar.

I do agree, though, Brad that he was probably somewhere in the mix, but I couldn't sense it.

I was sitting on Simon's side, fairly close to the stage, and every time I watched him and Pete it looked like they were playing exactly the same thing, which is my guess why you (and I) didn't hear two guitars in the mix.

The only other time that I saw The Who was ages ago, at the CNE I think, with Joe Jackson opening. Joe Jackson eventually walked off the stage with his band in disgust after being pelted with things by drunk, obnoxious people in the audience.

Peace, Mark

I waited in that line too Paisley, 1982. That lineup was the best party I had ever been to at the time.

The parts I remember I'll never forget.

yeah, we took the first bus to toronto that morning... once we were there (and 7000th or so in line) I desperately wished we had come out the night before... the 2 cars that the line went over were flattened to about a foot high by the time our spot in the line reached them, looked like they'd been run over by a tank

even with my little incidents it was a vividly memorable day, moreso than the concert I'm afraid

Simon's guitar level varied.

During the new song "Mike Post Theme" (my favorite of the new) his electric was actually quite prominent--as he was the only electric guitar in that song.

Mostly he played rhythm (just chords mostly) and could only be sort of heard when Pete did solo-y bits.

He joined the band before the 2002 tour. He was supposed to compensate for John's degenerating vocals. When John died on the eve of that tour he remained.

Jef

P.S.--Loved the show.

It was solid throughout.

The run from You Better, You Bet-->

My Generation->

Jam-->

Cry if You Want-->

Won't Get Fooled

and then the Tommy followed by reflective acoustic (T and Theatre) encore was as good as any rock performance I've ever witnessed.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Paisley - I was there for 28 hours, 429th in line (they took the names of the first 1,000 to guarantee them good tickets). I also remember one point around 7am realisation dawned on me that the packed lineup had bumps in it, and I (along with about thirty others) was on a bump. I managed to reach down and find that we were standing on a car. Shoulder to shoulder, the lineup went over (and not around) cars. It was like I woke up there.

... or like when my friend Doug and I camped out for Stranglers tickets when we were 14.

(Obviously, we were the only ones there.)

Anyone else line up early only to realize you're the only ones there? Me and my friend stood in line at Ticketmaster for about an hour before the outlet opened (7am on a Saturday) for General Admission tickets to see David Bowie at the Civic Centre. I think there were like 5 of us in total and I felt pretty stupid for thinking GA would sell out in minutes.

I remember phoning TM at the exact second that Jethro Tull tickets went on sale for Hamilton in 1989.

I hurriedly and excitedly asked the female voice that answered to get me two tickets. I realized that the urgency wasn't really there when she said, "Hold on a second and I'll see if he's playing."

lol

Mostly he played rhythm (just chords mostly) and could only be sort of heard when Pete did solo-y bits.Jef

To be honest, I only visually compared what the two of them were playing about 5 times during the show, and it definitely looked like they were playing the same chords/rhythms.

I would LOVE to see Joe Jackson.

I'm not a huge Joe Jackson fan or anything, but I like what I've heard of his and I definitely wish I would have seen him that day. He had a huge backing band there and was ready to give it his all, but nobody seemed to care. Once he left the stage we got to wait for a long time with no band on stage, which really ticked me off.

Peace, Mark