Jambands.ca

Buddy Cage's take on S.C.I

Esau.

Jambands.com asked: What do you remember most about 2006?

RatDog at Radio City Music Hall, "co-headlining" (that's a fucking howl!) with the String Cheese Incident. If I were in SCI and had to "share the stage" (yet another bullshit, self-serving euphemism) with a band so clearly more talented, I would throw up in utter humiliation after hearing Weir's performance and try to reshape my future plans in the music business. RatDog simply blew them out of the fucking state of New York that evening. The skills that Weir has hammered out in all the years with the Dead are manifest in that. If there's a Phoenix that can rise out of the Grateful Dead experience it would be RatDog. Even the SCI fans were cavorting around the theater in facsimile fashion, as in Emperor's New Clothes, pretending SCI was the real thing when the whole sorry scene came off as some usurpers to the Grateful Dead working on the fantasy that if you 'do the moves' the talent will follow. Wretched. Just because you've missed a couple decades of insanely fine music; maybe you felt you were born too late; could be you feel cheated and intend to embrace your own version of 'groove' regardless of the vacuousness of said groove; chances are you need to create your own scene (cause ya wanna). None of the above excuses you from putting up with less – get it together, do the work, the research. And boogie on! Go for the quality

http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2006_12_08.00.phtml

I agree with Buddy Cage 100%. Having seen numerous Grateful Dead shows, Ratdog shows (in every stage of their development), I can say that Ratdog is at a stage where they are really working together in great chemistry and Weir is master of groove.

String Cheese always looked the part but never had the chops to back it up.....

Their imporvisations never dug in or had direction...seemed like hippie background music to me....

(My humble opinion.)

P.S. I also find it interesting a great number of people that I know that dislike the Cheese (musically) are also almost exclusively musicians.

Edited by Guest

String Cheese caught my ears in the late 90s but eventually I got bored of them and moved onto traditional bluegrass (which I think is what I originally liked about their music...Kang used to switch off between his fiddle and mandolin a couple times a song even).

I think at the end of the day the point of this thread.....drumroll please......

Bobby Kicks ass!

Some of us have always known it some are catching up. Seriously though, Ratdog has come a long way in the last 10 years (1996/97 were kinda rough but Bobby had never gone out on his own like that before Jerry died).

I am not really fan of SCI, but in their defense, who the fuck is Buddy Cage? He has been in NRPS for 40 years, and finally now, people are paying a bit of attention to them (being a DJ on Sirius probably helps). SCI is more relevant than Buddy Cage. Talk about riding on the coat tails of the Grateful Dead

sorry....who is buddy cage?

exactly!

Wrong! Buddy Cage is a top flight session player and a first call pedal steel master for the likes of Bob Dylan and many others...

He has toured with countless country & rock legends too.

Buddy Cage session credits

More Buddy Cage credits

Just because you don't know of him doesn't negate his influence or talent as a player.

For goddsakes he even recorded with jazz legend Lenny Breau. People this guy is no lightweight.

Edited by Guest

Regardless of its merit, I think that quote smacks of bitterness. Buddy Cage gained renown as a player in a band that started largely as a Grateful Dead spin-off (band I thoroughly enjoy, FYI). It seems as though he's annoyed that a group of musicians who don't have the leverage of having played with Jerry are cashing in on Deadhead culture the way he wishes he still could. Buddy, we're sorry that "NRPS" as it exists today isn't booked to play Radio City Music Hall anytime soon and that Bob Weir isn't returning your phone calls, but that doesn't mean you have to take out your frustrations on those who are fortunate enough to be sharing the stage with the old guard.

i know very well who Buddy Cage is (i have dabbled on pedal steel myself). But for a guy who has been around the scene as long as he has, he's gotta realize that the scene has been kept alive by the newer bands, and there's a whole new generation of fans that enjoy a lot of the music that gets played on the radio station that he DJs for. Don't get me wrong I love the Dead but a lot of people are so caught up in the whole Grateful Dead nostalgia thing that they're missing out on a lot of the other dynamic acts on the scene. He really didn't need to further glorify Weir or The Dead or whatnot by completely ripping apart SCI like that. i dunno, i'm not even sure i'm making sense right now. haven't really slept in about 2 days.