Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest moving to new site next year

Cosmic ChrisC

Bluesfest finds room to rock at new site

Lynn Saxberg and Carolyn Girard, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Cisco Systems Bluesfest will finally have the space it needs for major rock concerts when it settles into its new home on the grounds of the Canadian War Museum next summer.

While music fans are thrilled Bluesfest is moving back to LeBreton Flats, veterans' groups hope the crowds respect the new site and Albert Street residents are wondering how far the noise will carry.

"That's exciting news," said Dr. Mike Pilon, the retired army major who photographed a young man urinating on the National War Memorial last Canada Day. The photo ignited a national controversy after it was published in the Citizen, and the young man subsequently apologized for his behaviour.

But Dr. Pilon is a longtime fan of Bluesfest, and has fond memories of taking his son, who's now a musician with his own band, to the festival when it was at LeBreton between 1999 and 2001.

"I think it's kind of nice that people might go to the war museum who might not otherwise," he said, "and when they had Bluesfest down there before, it was a very community-type event."

The festival was forced off the Flats in 2002 to make way for the redevelopment of the area. Contaminated soil was removed before the museum was built and the parkway was rerouted around it. The next phase of development will include residential units, office and retail space.

After five years at Ottawa City Hall, Bluesfest is expected to announce today that next year's event will take place July 6-15 at the National Capital Commission's newly developed festival site.

Past editions of Bluesfest have featured mainstage concerts by edgy performers such as rap-rocker Kid Rock, hip-hop party band Black Eyed Peas and the energetic punk act, Simple Plan. Rumours are already swirling that a reunited version of hard rockers Van Halen (with original singer David Lee Roth) might appear next year.

"The only thing I'd be concerned about would be vandalism," said Dave Richardson, president of the Strathcona Legion, "but from what I've heard, it's usually well controlled. As long as security is properly controlled, I don't have a problem."

Jayda Kelsall, a resident of Albert Street, was initially excited to hear about the party on her doorstep. "That's awesome," she said, before it dawned on her that noise might be a problem. "With the baby in the house, it might be kind of loud."

The main stage will be placed on a concrete section on the east end of the museum's front plaza. The 3.6-hectare area has been designed to accommodate crowds of up to 20,000 people, giving them an unobstructed view of the stage against a postcard-perfect backdrop of the Parliament Buildings, complete with all the technical features required.

Bluesfest's popular secondary stages would be set up on the west and north sides of the building, alongside the Ottawa River. There were four side stages at City Hall last summer.

Ottawa musician and producer Dean Watson said he'd miss the ambience of the City Hall site's Black Sheep stage. And although the new site is next to bike paths and bus routes, he liked the old site's proximity to clubs in the Byward Market and on Bank Street.

But he also recognized the need for an improved main-stage zone. "The problem with the downtown spot, the sightlines were tough and you couldn't get around a lot of the poles," Mr. Watson said. "It was cramped."

The NCC is looking for input on naming the new site. The deadline for suggestions is Jan. 5. For more information, call 1-800-704-8227, 613-239-5555 or go to ncc-ccn.gc.ca.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2006

Ottawa musician and producer Dean Watson said he'd miss the ambience of the City Hall site's Black Sheep stage. And although the new site is next to bike paths and bus routes, he liked the old site's proximity to clubs in the Byward Market and on Bank Street.

But he also recognized the need for an improved main-stage zone. "The problem with the downtown spot, the sightlines were tough and you couldn't get around a lot of the poles," Mr. Watson said. "It was cramped."

Hey, that sounds like the Dean Watson that's in Lure. It's neat that they talked to local musicians.

Aloha,

Brad

i think this is good and bad, but i'm a notorious complainer. seems like everything got moved for the sake of the mainstage, which i rarely visit anyways. but it's good for the masses in ways.

good - sightlines and crampedness for mainstage alleviated

bad - is there any shade at lebreton? intimate stages will have to be redefined. proximity to other things now crappy.

This is actually good news for me... I live near Queen & Bay in that grey, ugly high-rise (on the sevenrth floor to boot!). I used to listen to shows while I was sitting on my balcony and drinking beer and bouron and wine and tequila soaking up sun. Now I'll be able to again.

Now I can actually take an interest in it again. :thumbup:

Edited by Guest
silliness

The proximity isn't too bad actually. It's a pretty short walk along Albert to the market. Hell you could post-party in Chinatown if you wanted. Overall I think this is good.

well... the proximity is better at city hall. 2.5 km versus 0.5 km fom the site to rideau and sussex, using the shortest routes. and the stages are more intimate (i don't see how they can recreate the confines of the black sheep stage in an open field). and there is shade. and an air-conditioned building, with working toilets. and the new stage at lisgar collegiate was great.

at least all the vendors will clean up with food sales because there's nowhere else to go now. not anywhere close to the kind of variety within a 10 minute walk from the city hall site.

maybe the scotiabank place parking lot will be free in 2008, lots of unobstructed sightlines there.

who wants to post-party in chinatown? not i.

maybe they'll make it up to me and actually do something about the lawnchairs this year.

I am so with AD on that complaint. It's all I have been thinking about since I read about the location change. Perfectly stated and not a chance for rebuttal.

I can get to either location just as easily, so that is the least of my concerns. Rarer chances for me hitting MacLarens now. Whatever. I'll still be there.

We were talking about this last night. Basically your complaints are valid but try to imagine ottawa without a bluesfest of any kind. Terrible right? And last year more than previous I actually found myself at the main stage more frequently based on the talent booked to that stage. So anything that improves those sightlines and that experience is good.

Hopefully a good lineup, decent prices and a strict lawnchair policy will improve things over the site move.

i don't see how they can recreate the confines of the black sheep stage in an open field

I say good riddance to the Black Sheep stage. Do you know how many times I got stuck behind the sightline of that one little tree that was stage left? Or how impossible it was to navigate to and from the beer tent for a packed show?

This will be a little further trip for me but better sightlines is a huge advantage.

why did you stand behind the tree?

i think i'm most concerned about the direct sightline the flaming ball of nuclear gas has to everyone in the crowd. there will be lots of heatstroke and serious sunburnage.

and everyone will be eating sausage and poutine because it'll take an hour to go get decent off-site food and get back. and if i miss nelly furtado one more time...................

Do you know how many times I got stuck behind the sightline of that one little tree that was stage left?

[color:purple]Hey, that tree got to the show long before you did. You sound like one of those lawn-chair whiners who complain about people standing up and dancing near the stage.

Aloha,

Brad