Jambands.ca

Stillepost gets Kunged

zero

I've got a whole new set of bitches who are slowly learning the Kung rules of engagement i.e. don't engage. Mainly on their KW board as then I get the offchance of running into these indie rock twits around town and actually calling them on their shit in person.

I have to say it is quite invigorating to be hated again.

Open any thread on the KW board where I'm posting. Those fuggers HATE me. I love it. I've got one going called Editorial Handjobs that's good, the Slip thread has turned into something else and also the longstanding Echo Plagiarism thread.

Some of them you sense that they don't quite no how to respond. Feel familiar? Get on there and help me out.

well, I just read through the Ed. Handjobs thread, and you know what Luke?

Keep doing what you are doing. It's not about being the smartest boy in the room, it's about calling things as you see them, being honest to yourself, and you do that better than most. The responses to your thoughts were largely pathetic (Deeps' sympathetic comments excepted of course). These people aren't concerned about art, they're not really music lovers - they just want to feel connected, to feel part of something, a social scene that will allow them to become, a constant state of becoming, arriving at nothing but the same sense of uncertaninty as to what is good and what isn't. And it doesn't even matter to them, because they seem to think the process is more important than the product. They can't even answer the question of artistic worth for themselves - no wonder they have allergic reactions to a critical mind such as yours.

I know this sounds like I'm blowing smoke up Luke's ass but really, I'm impressed. Sometimes Luke uses his intellect and critical skills like a sword. But he's getting better at using those skills as a beacon - to illuminate, not destroy.

Kudos!

.... why is it in say literary criticism you actually get, I don't know, CRITICISM. Same for say food criticism, the food was good- the service sucked - I'd go back - I wouldn't. Dave Eggers in a convocation speech years ago (which I can never find) said that it's because of the sheer volume of new content coming at us constantly that we have to rely on others opinions. We form opinions based on how much we trust others opinions. I like this or that book critic at the New York Times, I like their take on things - I'm likely to like the books they recommend. It's a pretty basic tenet of criticism and seems to apply in every other field than - in this case- indie rock music criticism. If it's ALL GOOD, it's never bad.

Again this goes back to the fact that this is first and foremost in many ways a social community and people don't want to slag one another openly because they have to run into one another around the way.

I really needed that. Thanks seriously. It's just weird when these people try and tell me why don't you just contribute then. It's like DUDE! Do you think I WANTED to go and see your band. Like 'this guy named Luke' chose to go for his own amusement. Not the case. It's weird cause you see so many bands and most of them suck and you don't want to slag them outright at least in print but you don't want people to take you for granted either.

You've been a good supporter MarcO but I've never found you blow smoke up my ass.

I just like people who take their filters off when discussing these things and you're real good at doing that.

There's a difference between being a music lover, and being a music-scene lover. If you really are the former, the latter becomes far less precious.

but I'll let you know when you cross a line, lol! rock on brother.

incidentally i've been thinking a lot lately about that "sheer volume of content" and how in some senses we've regressed, civilisation-wise, subsequently

i feel like we've lost a lot of values that were once more or less ingrained. almost seems like most people are submerged and flailing in the flux and the only flotsam around to grab onto is tossed out to the masses by the media

anyway the point is that i need a drinkypoo, stat

It's just weird when these people try and tell me why don't you just contribute then. It's like DUDE! Do you think I WANTED to go and see your band. Like 'this guy named Luke' chose to go for his own amusement. Not the case. It's weird cause you see so many bands and most of them suck and you don't want to slag them outright at least in print but you don't want people to take you for granted either.

Excellent post Luke. Excellent.

I find that some of your criticism (ZERO) comes in the form of cheap insults, often having nothing to do with the music. I have never read anything you have shared with us that actually says "these guys are horrible musicians" or "their songs are immature, the lyrics are weak, or they just plain cant play."

If I were to go by your word Id probably go to a show you've reviewed thinking, well, this guy said the singer was really gay, so I dunno...

That being said, as someone who fancies himself a musician, I sometimes take issue with your writing because mostly: you claim to have a higher sense of appreciation for the arts, but then in the same breath, completely disregard the artistic element and complexity of any said group and offer jabs to their image instead. To me, this completely dis-credits your opinion.

This is what Ive gotten from at least a couple of your pieces. I havent read them all, but frankly, its because of first impressions.

Fair enough. Sometimes it's a matter of just trying to keep yourself amused. Like Tokyo Police Club (total fucking dinks) I mean look at the fucking band name- you know they're going to be dinks. They're a cheap ass Strokes knock off. If you read for instance what I wrote about them... well let me track it down.

Tokyo Police Club

Rather than compare the group to their Canadian ilk, a more common comparison is to the Strokes. The comparison, not altogether flattering (at least in certain circles), seems to speak to their polished image as much as their ultra short spastic bursts of palatable pop music. They even emulate some specific treated vocal effects distinctive to Julian Casablancas’ vocal delivery and the Strokes sound. If the comparison is indeed embarrassing, there’s something unnerving about a revival of a revival that may never have happened in the first place, the group seems sweetly oblivious.

I mean that's about as close as I can get to saying these guys are cheap ass Strokes clone band from Newmarket who are riding a wave of hype that is largely connected to their cutesy putesy good looks and the fact that they're relatively talented for 19 yrs. old. On a message board where I don't have to worry about catering to an editor or audience I'd probably just say 'gayer than dirt, trust me'.

:grin: See now, I GET that.

Its hard stuff being in a band though. I think Id agree with you more if you attacked subjects who have already contracted record deals, as opposed to a bunch of nobodies who just have a lot of friends.

Why should a band get a free ride just because they haven't "made it" yet? If you're going to perform publicly or offer product for consumption you are fair target for criticism, negative or positive. Would you have a problem if zero had been praising a 'bunch of nobodies"?

I agree with the sentiment, was confused whether you were saying these guys were 'made' or 'nobodies'. They're pretty made, TPC I mean, label deals on Paper Bag in North America and Memphis Industries in the UK. I said in the article how they're similar to Born Ruffians and Meligrove Band- sort of a mini-movement. I said they were likely the least successful of the three- which is true.

It was funny cause the band members- who were such little 'flouncing nellies' (as Rollins would put it)- were obviously kind of pissed. The one guy thought it was 'wishy washy' which was a half decent remark but you could tell it was for the wrong reasons (of course it was wishy washy because it was clear that I didn't like them). The other sort of dumb as fuck looking pretty boy just said 'I didn't get it' which seemed quite literal.