Jambands.ca

QOTD: Etiquette when you bring people to a show

Hartamophone

So many seem to base their opinions solely on their interpretation of musical "talent" or "chops". That is not the be-all and end-all of criteria for judging a band's performance, imho. There are plenty of other factors that make up for an overall stellar evening of music.

I used to despise people coming out of Dead shows who instantly degraded the concert and said it wasn't nearly as good as the show from the previous week, etc. For many coming out of the show, it was absolutely fantastic and a raging good time. Maybe they weren't at the last 25 consecutive shows and aren't jaded. Maybe they really connected to the performer/song/surroundings. Some people ALWAYS bitch on the way out of a show and they are real downers ... must suck to be them where they only get a quality show (in their minds) so infrequently.

There are plenty of bands whose "chops" aren't at the level of classically trained musicians. That doesn't mean that they are unable to perform a concert that is more enjoyable on any given night. It goes back to comparing apples to oranges. Sure, you may be into Coltrane Live In Seattle and think that it's BRILLIANT musically, where somebody else sees the genius in John Fogerty's musical writing style. You can't really compare the two, or like the two, they are completely different. So, the Fogerty fan may give a personal rating of 1/10 to the Coltrane recording and be completely correct. It's their OPINION which is PERSONAL. When people then belittle somebody for having their opinion on art, or tell them they are wrong, it's completely against the concept of the art in the first place.

So, like many have said, be open to the experiment/experience of a new band/show. Also, don't be close-minded and shoot down other people's taste. There's no need for holier-than-thou attitudes in music.

I have taken many people to shows that I think they would like. I've learned that some people just aren't good to do that with. They end up attending, not giving it a chance, then shutting off and become more of a distraction. We all want to share with others what bring us joy, you just can't force it. I've learned which friends are really into taking a chance on a show and they now know to trust me when I tell them they gotta come out. That's one of the best feelings ... to be in that state of nirvana at a show enjoying the moment, and then seeing the person you convinced to come out enjoying it in the same way. What is that? Symbiosis? Mutualism? It's all good :)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

must suck to be them where they only get a quality show (in their minds) so infrequently.

I dunno, I'd rather stay on the side of being honest with myself than fooling myself into thinking that something is better than it was. It's not necessarily a question of being jaded.

IMO, if you lower your discriminating tastes, your opinion is devalued accordingly.

You cannot be blamed for having different taste than other people. You cannot be blamed if a band puts on a bad show compared to their usual show.

When you go out for entertainment, even if invited by someone else, there is no contract that says "you shall be entertained and have your mind blown by this show" such that someone can later blame another person for their failure to be entertained or have their mind blown.

Is that a legal opinion or a personal one? ;)

When you go out for entertainment, even if invited by someone else, there is no contract that says "you shall be entertained and have your mind blown by this show" such that someone can later blame another person for their failure to be entertained or have their mind blown.

Is my offer to drive them and promise of a good show and their acceptance of that offer in exchange for their company, not tantamount to a piece of mind contract?

Edited by Guest

Just recently I brought a friend from work to see WTTS. I only know her from work so I only see her without makeup and in scrubs, I must say I was really nervous when she showed up in heels and makeup and dressier clothes than I was expecting, but she ended up having a great time. She also had invited someone else from work who is into dance and house music and he had a great time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on a lot more than the music for people to have a fun.

One thing that really ticks me off is when a male friend brings along a date (you know who you are), and then takes off for the entire show leaving me to baby sit someone I've never even met or who is clearly not going to be into the music.

When I saw Akron/Family of the 10 people I knew there only one didn't like it, and I just ignored his negative vibes and enjoyed the show. They are kind of weird on a great night. Don't know about what they'd be like on an off night.

Loud and lacking any semblance of musical coherence. As I said above, there were snippets which were beautiful, but on the whole it was largely "meh." At times I felt like I was stuck inside a really bad round of "Space." Like I said, though, I saw enough glimpses of glory that I hope to be able to give them another shot at some point.