Jambands.ca

The House Is Still Crowded...

can-o-phish

As I'm watching the final encore song "Don't Dream It's Over" from the final concert of Crowded House on November 24, 1996, I still can't think that this was one of THE BEST bands that crafted incredible pop songs and managed to blend a truley distinct taste of "down under" combined with elements of water, passion, earth, romance, heartache and so much more...

I have been waiting for a decade for this concert to be released to the masses and when my brother and his family headed to New Zealand, the birthplace of my niece, it crossed my mind to "google" "Crowded House" and low and behold their final concert had JUST been released with out-takes and that sweet DVD bonus footage....off I ran to HMV to grab my copy but life has been so busy it wasn't until two weeks later that I managed to sit down and take in the show...that SKIPPED halfway through so back to HMV I roamed to exchange my copy for one that worked....

I have always drawn a line between Neil Finn & Phish...it is without question that they share similiar song structure and colourful lyrics that conjure up images of unique obscurity and was confirmed when Phish turned to Tchad Blake to produce their final albums who Neil Finn & Crowded House have turned to for some of their best written and produced albums...and to see Neil play with members of Radiohead only solidifies his presence and influences in modern music..

Like someone who once stated..."Crowded House is a band that makes you want to give up your day to day life and join this band..."

- Crowded House have left the building -

I think Crowded House was a great band, but...

I have always drawn a line between Neil Finn & Phish...it is without question that they share similiar song structure and colourful lyrics that conjure up images of unique obscurity and was confirmed when Phish turned to Tchad Blake to produce their final albums who Neil Finn & Crowded House have turned to for some of their best written and produced albums...and to see Neil play with members of Radiohead only solidifies his presence and influences in modern music..

...what? Similar song structures? I'm not sure how "Don't Dream It's Over" or "Weather With You" or "Pineapple Head" or any other Crowded House song has a similar structure to "You Enjoy Myself"... nor do I see any kind of lyrical connection between Neil Finn and Tom Marshall - not even close.

For a great Neil Finn solo album, check out Try Whistling This.

I think Crowded House was a great band, but...

...what? Similar song structures? I'm not sure how "Don't Dream It's Over" or "Weather With You" or "Pineapple Head" or any other Crowded House song has a similar structure to "You Enjoy Myself"... nor do I see any kind of lyrical connection between Neil Finn and Tom Marshall - not even close.

For a great Neil Finn solo album, check out Try Whistling This.

Well, for starters,throw on Billy Breathes, Farmhouse & Hoist and listen to any three of the four Crowded House CD's...I was referring to Phish's "poppier" offerings...dig a bit deeper there Halilton and you'll "hear" what I'm talking about... ;)...as for lyrics, again, I was referring to the very unique styles that quickly bring so much to the listener...there's alot below the surface of both lyricists...don't go grabbin' YEM for a comparison... :P

Neil's Sophomore CD "One All" is another sharp and well-crafted CD.

The DVD Seven World's Collide is a great live concert that has Neil playing with a couple of members from Radiohead as well as Johnny Marr from The Smiths, Lisa Germano, Eddie Vedder and a few other solid musicians including his son's band Betcha Dupa...

Hmmm...I posted in here last night about my highschool fanmanship of Crowded House. I got to see them play at Jock Hardy arena in Kingston and we briefly met Paul Hester as one of the girls with us had a crush on him and had flowers to give him. He came out to us waiting in line and goofed around.

They put on a GREAT show and there was a ton of humour on the stage as well. They were funny guys. Paul was a clown.

fantastic band, with great pop hooks. Not as rock solid as Split Enz (from which they spawned) but nothing to sneer at either. I think they are a million miles away from Phish but that's just me I guess.

Charming fellows too, I rcall a particularly amusing "Intimate & Interactive" show they did on Much Music many years back.

Sadly, Paul Hester is gone now, having taken his own life in 2005.