Jambands.ca

No more third jersey?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I'm hearing that the NHL is getting rid of the 3rd jersey next season. I'm kinda torn by this news mainly because the 3rd jersey has been both a breathe of fresh air for some teams, and an absolute abomination for others.

Good:

B000A10PVI.01-A3AHCMBQDRSEI1._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

p460306reg.jpg

pG01-3307197reg.jpg

Bad:

avs3rdrep.jpg

B000GHAOZS.01-A3AHCMBQDRSEI1._SCMZZZZZZZ_V65825814_.jpg

pG01-2349551nm.jpg

pG01-2339830reg.jpg

It's actually because the NHL is switching to the new "performance-fit" jerseys next season.

The third jerseys will be back soon enough.

Another rumour is that the home teams will be back to wearing white next season. That's one change that I never understood the motivation behind.

Other than switching a jersey to a "classic" design for special games (Original 6 teams, etc.) i see no need for them. Most of them look ridiculous (Boston, Dallas, Edmonton) and they are simply there to generate more money for the team.

I also agree that the switch from light jersey to dark jersey for home teams was confusing. Don't know why they did this other than to make a fan feel like they needed to wear the matching sweater as the team when they were at the game (therefore more money spent).

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

Could you imagine if countries changed the design of their flags as often as many NHL teams? There should be some consistency, as it helps to build up the fans' loyalty and recognition of a consistent image/logo.

I remember when it seemed that all the professional sports teams were adopting a "black" jersey. With the popularity of the Raider's merchandise in the late 80s/early 90s tons of teams made the switch. LA Kings seemed to be a drastic change, but you got used to it (their 3rd jersey is a laugh) then the Sabres did it. Following that, teams just used black is the dominant colour instead of a dark colour that was part of their logo.

kingsalt2.gifwj-ana.jpg

It'll be interesting to see the overall "look" of the game next season with the new jerseys being implimented league-wide.

Edited by Guest

They are the same "style" jerseys that were worn at the World Juniors and the Torino Olympics. They are a little more "form fitting" as to reduce drag and increase aerodynamics. They are a "stretchier" material too. I've got one, but I haven't worn it to play hockey in yet (not that I'd even notice a difference at my level anyhow ).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2680102

and here:

NHL to Unveil New Uniforms in January, 2007 (National Hockey League)

November 30, 2006

The NHL will have a new look next season. The league is set to unveil new uniforms at a news conference in mid-January. The streamlined uniforms, designed by Reebok, will be worn by players at the Jan. 24 all-star game in Dallas. All players will wear the new uniforms starting next season. They feature increased flexibility and are less bulky than what players have traditionally worn for years.

+++++++

There's actually an online petition against these! Doesn't sound like they are like the old Cooperalls or anyhing!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/nhl66/petition.html

Guest Low Roller

Nice. The Cooperalls. Haven't seen those in a while.

Here's a pro argument against eliminating the third jersey:

p2335984nm.jpg

Here's a con argument against eliminating the third jersey:

sabres_original_road.jpg

Im not a big fan. Makes everyone look smaller. I guess its a cheap alternative to a larger rimk though.

It's true, players do look a little smaller. What I found weird to watch during the Olympics was the change from horizontal stripes on the socks to vertical ones. For some reason it makes the player look really different.

F@ckin fashionistas'. The only thing that matters about a f@cking uniform is that it is a different coulour than the other teams, and you can see the number on the back. Once you get the uniform of the team you support, you don't need another one until the beer stains start to create holes. If your team has an ugly uniform as an excuse, you probably weren't going to win anyways.

Another rumour is that the home teams will be back to wearing white next season. That's one change that I never understood the motivation behind.

Here's an interesting article about that subject

Apparently back in the old days the home team wore dark colours, then they changed it the early 70's. Then a few years ago they changed it back!

I always naively thought that the white jersey was used at home because the home team are the "good guys".

I always thought it was more of favour to the visiting team: because they're from out of town (and thus will likely have fewer fans), they get to wear the fully coloured jerseys.

Aloha,

Brad