Jambands.ca

Paul Simon tribute on CBC tonight

Kanada Kev

Just got a note about this one. Could be pretty good:

http://www.cbc.ca/openingnight/

Paul Simon tribute…Thursday, Feb. 1 at 9 p.m., CBC-TV’s Opening Night pays homage to the long and illustrious career of songwriter Paul Simon. We hear his music performed by Elvis Costello, Jim Cuddy, Colin James, Holly Cole, Daniel Lanois and Jamie Cullum.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

I think that Colin James is one of the most under-rated Canadian performers.

I don't know much by him other than his radio hits.

I remember hearing Colin on the radio last year sometime and he was jamming on his guitar playing material from his latest release that was heavy on the Blues. I was really impressed. I think this is it:

http://www.colinjames.com/disc_llb3.php

I'd like to catch him live sometime.

Edited by Guest

I think that Colin James is one of the most under-rated Canadian performers.

I don't know much by him other than his radio hits.

I remember hearing Colin on the radio last year sometime and he was jamming on his guitar playing material from his latest release that was heavy on the Blues. I was really impressed. I think this is it:

http://www.colinjames.com/disc_llb3.php

I'd like to catch him live sometime.

I think I'll agree with Cully - Colin James is underrated. Get past some of the cheesier radio hits, and he's quite good.

I saw him at the London Bluesfest about five years ago and I was almost surprised at how much I truly enjoyed his set. He's a hell of a guitar player - just ask Stevie Ray Vaughn, he'll tell you! Well, he would if he were alive, anyway.

Colin James is underrated.

Yup. He also did a Little Big Band thing that was cool and his idol is SRV. A buddy of mine in 1997 went to an autograph signing at a cd store in Kingston and I asked him to get me a 'How about that Phil Lesh'

Guess what? Buddy asked for it and Colin responded with "Isnt that the bass player for the Grateful Dead?"

He then was reminded how much he wanted some Dead music and said to a 'handler' "Hey, go get every Dead cd here for me without duplicates"

Colin James is underrated.

Yup. He also did a Little Big Band thing that was cool and his idol is SRV. A buddy of mine in 1997 went to an autograph signing at a cd store in Kingston and I asked him to get me a 'How about that Phil Lesh'

Guess what? Buddy asked for it and Colin responded with "Isnt that the bass player for the Grateful Dead?"

He then was reminded how much he wanted some Dead music and said to a 'handler' "Hey' date=' go get every Dead cd here for me without duplicates"[/quote']

If I recall correctly, it was SRV who kind of "broke" Colin James. I think SRV was touring in Western Canada, and his opening band was stopped at the border, so when he asked for the "best local player" to open for him, and he got Colin James. Apparently SRV went on and on to everyone he met about how great Colin James was, which resulted in James getting a record deal.

And yeah, the Little Big Band stuff is great!

That was a good hour of TV! If you can believe it there were NO commercials.

From what i remember - the guy who sang '50 ways to leave your lover' was terrible.

The girl who sang Mrs. Robinson absolutly BUTCHERED the tune. what a horrible voice.

Sam Roberts stole the show by a mile...wearing an appropriate African american style poncho, singing Call me Al. My only beef with that song is there was no bass solo.

Aaaanyway. I thought this show was gonna be a documentary!

show setlist was

The Obvious Child - Colin James

Cecilia - Colin James

Mrs. Robinson - Holly Cole

Kodachrome - Holly Cole

Mother and Child Reunion - Bedouin Soundclash

Peace Like a River - Elvis Costello

American Tune - Allen Toussaint and Elvis Costello

Take Me to the Mardi Gras - Zachary Richard

America - Michel Rivard

The Boxer - Michel Rivard

Hazy Shade of Winter - Ariane Moffatt

Still Crazy After all These Years - Jim Cuddy

Homeward Bound - Jim Cuddy and Kevin Parent

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Kevin Parent

50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Jamie Cullum

Loves Me Like a Rock - Jeri Brown and JB Pumped Singers of Montreal

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes - Jeri Brown

Late in the Evening - Sam Roberts

You Can Call Me Al - Sam Roberts

Bridge over Troubled Water - Zachary Richard

The Sound of Silence - Daniel Lanois

only a fraction of this made it onto the tv special though. although i didn't see it.

did they show elvis and allen at all?

I vaguely recal this setlist:

Peace Like a River - Elvis Costello - (i'm pretty sure about this cause I don't remember seeing the other dude)

Still Crazy After all These Years - Jim Cuddy

50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Jamie Cullum

Take Me to the Mardi Gras - Zachary Richard

Cecilia - Colin James

Mrs. Robinson - Holly Cole

Mother and Child Reunion - Bedouin Soundclash

The Sound of Silence - Daniel Lanois (this was also not so hot)

America - Michel Rivard

You Can Call Me Al - Sam Roberts