Jambands.ca

Scientology

NewRider

I didn't know too much about this until I saw a South Park episode about Scientology last night. That's right, South Park. Anyways, I wanted to see if the info they were dishing out on the show was true so I looked it up on Wikipedia this morning and WOW! FUCKED UP SHIT! I'm posting this because I was really disappointed to see Beck listed as a Scientologist! WTF Beck?!?! Tom Cruise, John Travolta... that makes sense. But Beck?!?! DANG!

travolta.jpg

Today's Scientology Factoid:

High-ranking members of the church believe they are possessed by thousands of souls of dead aliens, called body thetans. These souls were implanted with false visions of reality by an evil intergalactic ruler named Xenu, 75 million years ago. This possession hinders mankind from achieving its true potential -- and only Scientology tech can exorcise these body thetans.

Today's Know Your Scientologists:

Chick Corea, jazz pianist.

Quote:

My study of Scientology has also enabled me to write more music. I have become quicker and am able to use all of the musical abilities that I already have. I gained a new understanding of what the proper importances are in the process of creating music.

Nancy Cartwright - The voice of Bart Simpson. Fucking Bart! God, the children. The children.

Once I started it, I said, "Oh, my God. This is cool." You know, this is something that I've been looking for a long time. And I just started doing — there's all kinds of courses here that you can do. You know, people hear about, well, what is like? It's not like a real religion. It's – it's different. I hear, you know, you don't pray, you do courses.

Jenna Elfman - Dharma and Greg star. Might have a new show on, I don't know. I couldn't complete SWAT U BOB without giving Scientology at least one cerebral spokesman. Jenna makes you think. That's for sure!

My husband has been a Scientologist for years, and I kept hearing him talk about Dianetics. So he gave me the book, which I said I'm not gonna read--it's too big. I'm not a big reader.. And then one day I ran into a situation that made me like, frazzled. I had a job dancing on Murder, She Wrote, and I was spending the night at my now-husband, boyfriend-at-the-time's house. I was so used to the alarm that it didn't wake me up, and I woke up an hour and a half after I was supposed to be there. And you know, you get that panic: "Oh, God! Ohhhh!"

I got in the car and I was all frazzled and starting to cry and was rushed, and I couldn't think. I couldn't even put my seatbelt on. I was just a mess. Then I went, Wait a minute--that's purely reactive and insane. Look, I went, you're in the car, you can't get there any faster. So just turn the music on, enjoy. This has happened to me before and I arrived on the set and messed everybody's day up. Being so apologetic is really pushing people away and turning them off--and I had a horrible shoot. It's not optimum. So this time, I said, wait a sec.

Now let's just apply what you learned last night. And I went da-da-da, da-da-da and got a lot more analytical about the situation. When I got there, I said, "I'm very sorry I'm late. The alarm didn't wake me up." And they said, "That's fine. We're not going to get to you for another few hours. Just take your time, relax. Get some coffee." Like, wow! I went, This is great. I like this. This helps me. It's just very simple: Scientology helps me live my life better.

Edited by Guest

tomandxenu.jpg

Scientology Fun Factoids -

While many of the traumatic incidents addressed in auditing are unique to the individual, some key incidents are thought to be common to all humans on planet earth. One very important such incident supposedly occurred some 75 million years ago. Scientology warns that until one has completed a series of preparatory steps, exposure to the details of this particular incident can cause severe illness or even death.

Thus, these details are carefully guarded and kept secret until, at the level called "Operating Thetan III" the member is deemed properly prepared and is granted permission to view and "audit" this information.

Ok, so you've been warned. What follows is considered very dangerous by Scientologists to read unless you're ready. Scroll past it if you're scared. It's the exact words handwritten by Hubbard. It's Operating Thetan III!

The head of the Galactic Confederation (76 planets around larger stars visible from here) (founded 95,000,000 yrs ago, very space opera) solved overpopulation (250 billion or so per planet) -- 178 billion average) by mass implanting. He caused people to be brought to Teegeeack (Earth) and put an H Bomb on the principal volcanoes (Incident 2) and then the Pacific area ones were taken in boxes to Hawaii and the Atlantic Area ones to Las Palmas and there "packaged." His name was Xenu. He used renegades. Various misleading data by means of circuits etc. were placed in the implants. When through with his crime Loyal Officers (to the people) captured him after 6 years of battle and put him in an electronic mountain trap where he still is. "They" are gone. The place (Confed.) has since been a desert.

I haven't watched South Park in years but hear about them threw the news alot their game has really improved. They are a potent weapon in the satirical army, sort of modern day Swift's really.

bowfinger1.jpg

On another tip I always thought this was a particularly savvy parody of Scientology and I love the scene where Steve Martin goes to say 'MindHead' but says 'Mind...Fuck'.

I get an involuntary shudder whenever Scientology comes up. You'd have to try really hard to come up with a more self-indulgent cosmology and set of core values. They also have a long legacy of suing the ass off anyone who tries publicly criticising them.

The best authority on them in Canada, arguably, is Stephen Kent , at the University of Alberta; he's apparently got lots of stories of running afoul of them with things he's written. They have a cute way of preemptively dealing with academic critique, though - they cold-call profs to ask them to beautiful places like Hawaii or wherever, all expenses paid (must be nice to have coffers like that), to give papers at in-house conferences so they can then publish things that point to the "support" they get from "respectable academics".

Every time I walk by the Scientology headquarters on Yonge Street I take a peek through the window and almost every time there's a couple of potential recruits wandering around the desks looking a little rough and down on their luck. A far cry from the insular insecure celebrity-culture this whacked cult feeds upon.

Every time I walk by the Scientology headquarters on Yonge Street I take a peek through the window and almost every time there's a couple of potential recruits wandering around the desks looking a little rough and down on their luck. A far cry from the insular insecure celebrity-culture this whacked cult feeds upon.

Very true - but then you just need enough of the credulous in a few major cities to start seeding the coffers, feeling they're part of some big new thing.

It's funny growing up in Toronto we'd walk pretty much from Yonge and Bloor down to Dundas every Saturday. The Scientology place which was near the near immortal Joke Shop occasionally sucked us in- we'd get halfway through the 'IQ test' which already felt fake to us and we'd skeeve off and leave.

The funniest thing is around that time when Jim Carrey was coming up on some show they had him driving up Yonge Street leaning his head out I guess the roof of his limo right at that spot screaming like an evangelist: "Claim L. Ron Hubbard as your Saviour".

The fact that I just remembered that given that we're talking about Tom Cruise, John Travolta and now Jim Carrey years later seems odd to me.

I find L. Ron's slow evolution from sci-fi bestseller to relgious cult svengali somewhat astonishing. I remember kids reading his sci-fi Battlefield Earth series in high school and thinking nothing of it - and rightly so since it was the early 80's. Certainly his early Dianetics works are related to Scientology but they never were scrutinized in the same manner or reached the same "commercial" appeal.