Jambands.ca

Affordable 5-course "prix fixe" sushi in Montreal!

Blane

Tri Express

Got to go check this place out the other day and got the 5-course Omakase (japanese "suggestions du chef") by the former chef at Kaizen and Treehouse. 41 bucks with tax, meaning that dinner for 2 with green tea (no license there) and over 15% tip is under 100 bucks. Not bad for some pretty damn nice sushi!

Here's a review

Flying fishy tales

Maeve Haldane

Tri Express: Enjoy the finger-licking goods before he lickety splits!

photo: Joseph Yarmush

Is Tri Du a chameleon, or has he finally found his home?

Sushi chef Tri Du first wowed Westmounters' palates at Kaizen, then went upscale glam on the be-seen-and-obscene part of the lower Main at Treehouse. At each locale he had a devoted following. Now he's left behind the haute hurly-burly and settled into Plateau profond, on that strip of Laurier near Papineau that feels like the central street of an admittedly gourmet village.

The area has food with focus, like Fromentier's loaves or Olive & Olives's oils, doled out with fun and casual flair. Tri seems to fit right in with his eponymous Tri Express.

It's a postage stamp of a place, filled with light, furnished with tables of old sewing machine treadles and wrought iron distressed stools at a neoclassical blue and gold counter. On the wall you'll find eclectica such as a kimono, a neon-rimmed clock, an Alexander Keith blackboard. The music is world-influenced tech hop, and behind the counter you'll find the compact, tattooed Tri.

Lunchtime sees two specials, one of a salad and baked red snapper, the other of seafood soup and sushi. Given the heat, none of my partners were keen on anything cooked. Happily, we were given the okay to order the evening specials of sushi omakase (chef's choice).

Mine started with a small salad of crunchy, slivered veg and enoki mushrooms with a tangy sauce that caught pleasantly in my throat. The other omakase opened with slices of salmon sashimi, in a similar dressing, sprinkled liberally with sesame seeds.

All our mains were the same: eye-catching plates

of plump maki rolls and nigiri sushi of tuna, salmon and shrimp. As fresh as the nigiri was, I enjoyed the rolls more.

The one dubbed Le St-Joseph had a totally addictive mix of tuna and salmon tartare with some crispy - not greasy! - tempura. It tasted as though there was a touch of cinnamon within - a secret ingredient or a gustatory hallucination? The maki also contained avocado, cuke, a gentle touch of oft-overpowering shiso and pop-between-your-teeth roe.

The other roll, Le Cartier, had juicy mandarin segments (a substitute for that day's lacklustre mango) and was beguilingly spicy.

My experience left me hankering for more blends, such as Le Montreal with lobster and shrimp, and Le Marquette with grilled eel and Tri Express sauce. If I weren't obsessed with his rolls, I could imagine trying the lobster salad with grapefruit or Tri's "pizza sushi." I hope Tri is comfy enough in this little corner shop to stay put for a while so I can revisit him soon.

Tri Express

1650 Laurier E.; 514-528-5641

Lunch special, taxes included: $16.25-$17.25

Evening omakase, taxes included: $19.50 or five services for $39

Not licensed

mmmmmm, what did you have

here's the breakdown (bear in mind the chef is vietnamese, so there's a steady streak of that fused into it):

Dish 1: 5 types of sashimi marinated in a sesame dressing with black sesame seeds.

Dish 2: Cucumber-rolled maki with tuna, salmon, asparagus, tempura flakes, etc.

Dish 3: A cross between vietnamese springroll and a maki (with rice paper) with shrimp, lobster, mandarin orange, etc.

Dish 4: Baked marinated red snapper on a bed of warm "salad" (seaweed, enoki mushrooms, various other veg) and rice. The only cooked dish

Dish 5: Sushi and Maki platter. An assortment of stuff all, delicious.

Each one had its own sauce, except the requisite soy for the last dish. Only thing I would have like would be a small sweet dish to close it out. Of course you could probably get the same quantity of food for the same price or less at other sushi restos but this guy is hot shit. Probably considered #1 or #2 in the city for "nouveau" japanese.

Edited by Guest

Nagoya on Notre-Dame O. (right in old montreal) has deep fried dragon's eyes. wild.

we had sushi at a new place in guelph yesterday. was good for guelph.

do y'all get cravings for sushi? how often? or, is it regular fare? only one or two times every few weeks for me. i tend to go, like it want more, and go again the next day. then not for weeks.

same here. I get cravings constantly. There's a place a couple of blocks from my place that has a meal for 11 bucks on mondays and tuesdays. Not spectacular but at least it takes the edge off my sushi jones.

By the way Heather, I don't remember if you said you'd been to Kyoto before, but there's a PHENOMENAL joint right on the river in central Kyoto that had 100Y sushi that's out of this world. SOme locals directed us there last time I was in Japan. I don't know how they manage to have such good stuff for so cheap in such a great resto/location.