Jambands.ca

Teach English Overseas

Jakis

Hey,

Anyone who has teaching English overseas want to share with me their experiences and agency/companies that they used to get positions teaching? A friend and I are planning on teaching English overseas next year and are just starting to research. Any help, tips or advice is much appreciated.

Thank-you,

Jake

www.eslcafe.com

www.ohayosensei.com

I taught overseas a long while back in Seoul, South Korea at Kyung Hee University. Good gig.

If you suggest some places you're most interested in going you'll probably get more specific info.

Oh yeah, and knowing what kind of education you have is a big issue too. Did you do a TESL degree? do you have a BA or MA, etc?

Edited by Guest

I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend it, but the way we did it in Japan back in '92 worked out ok in the end - go over with no leads whatsoever and see what happens. It's funny what doors desperation (ok, and dumb luck) can open. We ended up with big conversational schools, as well as a long-term private gig. That market's been changing, though, as these things do.

You'll no doubt want to do a bit of research to see what the standard is in different places in terms of credentials. We got in back then and there with no more than undergrad humanities degrees, but things have of course ramped up in the meantime - i.e. Cambridge certification, etc. It wouldn't hurt to check out some programs in town to see what they offer. I know the English Language Institute (ELI) at Seneca College, where I used to work, has been offering a very reputable, internationally accredited program that you can get under your belt in pretty short order (though there is the inevitable cost to consider).

Yeah, all I have in a 3 year degree in anthropology/sociology. I am also looking into a TESL degree. I am going to take a look at the Seneca College program. I am hoping to go to either Japan or South Korea. Thanks for the tips.

cheers,

Jake

I live in Seoul, South Korea and I teach English.. I just got back here about 6-7 weeks ago and this is my 2nd time around (after being here for a year, Sept 2005-2006). Hmm, what to say.. My first year, I signed a contract while I was still in Canada and worked at a big corporate english academy for kids. It worked out fine and I made a bunch of dough, but everyone around me seemed to be making WAYYYYYY more money by taking slightly more shady routes. 2nd time around I returned to Korea on a tourist visa (Canadians can be in Korea for up to 6 months on a tourist visa). I found a job once I got here. I'd recommend going this route WAYYY more if you can save up the start-up cash on your own while still in Canada. You'll be much better off as far as 1) working conditions and 2) making piles more money. As opposed to signing on while still in Canada. Also I recommend Korea if the objective is make cash. I'd prefer to be in Japan but the cost of living is so much higher that you don't save nearly as much. The pay is a bit lower in Japan too I think, generally speaking. Taiwan would be good too. You can teach in places further south (ie. Thailand, Vietnam) and have a great time but not really make much money. Enough to get by basically.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

I'll warn you now against showing up without a job. They've cracked down A LOT on visa issues since 1992~!

Showing up without a job is perfectly legal. As I said in the last post, Canadians in particular have it sweet cuz our tourist visas are good for 6 months. Once you get here (on your tourist visa), you find a job, then your employer will send you on a "visa run" to Japan to obtain a work visa. This visa run is on them by the way (free trip!) Now if you start WORKING while you are still on your tourist visa, that is illegal. Not that I'd worry about it too much. And once you have your work visa, you aren't supposed to take jobs from anywhere outside your one place of employment. Not many people follow this one.. I'd say 90% of the people I know here are doing illegal work in some way or other; and making $40/hour doing so. I don't feel its particularly high risk, though every year or two you read an article about a crack down where they deport about 10 illegally working foreigners. I've never heard of anyone getting busted (outside of newspaper articles).

i knew a guy once, met him at the bar actually, friend of a friend, he was telling me about how he taught eng. in china, and he said something VERY disturbing, he was saying how some of the whitey teachers over there see it like this: if they teach these chinese kids how to speak *perfect* english, they will come here and steal jobs from canadians, so they do a real half-assed job.

sounds like bullshit to me, but i thought i'd share

One thing to keep in mind if/when you go over is when you'll be getting back, and what you hope to doing when you do. My brother taught English in Japan for far too long (15 years, while the average is about 2 or 3 years), and didn't add much to his resume while he was there, so is now having to go back to school (community college in Toronto) in his early 40s to try to get something he can use to support himself.

Aloha,

Brad

dont people make huge cash by going to dinner with wives of rich businessmen (i.e., for private English lessons)?

rich businessmen, wives of rich business men, it doesn't matter who! often private lessons lead to dinners and good hospitality in general (the korean way).

I was in Korea. Going without a contract is great if you know people there and have a place to stay, just showing up without knowing anyone and no work might not be a great idea. I went without a job, but I had a place to stay, it still took me about 2 months to secure good work, a lot of B.S. before that. It would be different if I was to go back. I would def. get private teaching jobs on the side but wait till you get your bearings.

Depending on what size you are, I was a size 7-8 when I was there and sometimes could only fit into their biggest size, I don't have hang ups about this stuff, but my kids would laugh and call me fat (OOohh Teacha, so fat today hehehehe), almost daily (just a heads up)....bring under 'garments, I had a hard time finding anything without major frills ;) If you like to cook, bring some spices, they only have 3, hot, hotter and hottest (not really, but bring curry, cumin, etc.)...if I can think of anything else, I will post it...and go to the bath houses, it's what I miss the most...

I second what Ms_Zimmy said on pretty much everything. Bring lots of your own clothes!! I pretty much could not find pants there that fit right. I also got...teacher BABY?? every day-ish...

It's generally harder for women I think.. esp. in Asian countries.

I actually had a pretty hard time in Korea but it sure was interesting and I have a whole differnt perspective on life :D

i taught in japan for a few years...just showed up and looked through the newspapers and there were tons of jobs available. (i recommend doing this...no way i'd sign a contract without knowing what the real deal was)

you can get a 6-month visa which will give you plenty of time to look around. i think i got a job in less than 2 weeks. if you want a job on the first day you can get it, just go to one of the teacher-farm schools (ie. nova) but i wouldn't recommend that.

i highly recommend japan! the music scene is comparable to here...you can see live music every night in tokyo if you want and the bands you like here probably go there once in awhile. and the festivals are the best ever. the food is awesome and varied, the people are unbelievably nice and cool, and the language is beautiful. plus you're not far from SE asia for holidays.

:)

Edited by Guest

One thing to keep in mind if/when you go over is when you'll be getting back, and what you hope to doing when you do. My brother taught English in Japan for far too long (15 years, while the average is about 2 or 3 years), and didn't add much to his resume while he was there, so is now having to go back to school (community college in Toronto) in his early 40s to try to get something he can use to support himself.

I'd second this caution. We have a friend who will never get out of this loop, he's been at it for so long (15 years +)

(OOohh Teacha, so fat today hehehehe), almost daily (just a heads up)....bring under 'garments, I had a hard time finding anything without major frills If you like to cook, bring some spices, they only have 3, hot, hotter and hottest (not really, but bring curry, cumin, etc.)...if I can think of anything else, I will post it...and go to the bath houses, it's what I miss the most...

Depending on what size you are, I was a size 7-8 when I was there and sometimes could only fit into their biggest size, I don't have hang ups about this stuff, but my kids would laugh and call me fat (OOohh Teacha, so fat today hehehehe), almost daily (just a heads up)....bring under 'garments, I had a hard time finding anything without major frills ;) If you like to cook, bring some spices, they only have 3, hot, hotter and hottest (not really, but bring curry, cumin, etc.)...if I can think of anything else, I will post it...and go to the bath houses, it's what I miss the most...

yep...all true...all funny. We had my parents mail spices to us (as well as K-D which we were SOOO jonesing for after a year!)

I've said to Phorbesie before that I'd a love a drunken sake night with the gals sharing our Asian-abroad experiences. I would totally encourage everyone to totally immerse oneself in a new/different culture, but it is particularly challenging/interesting/ eye-opening for women to experience such a misogynistic culture...every 'gaijin' gets to experience the xenophobia, but the misogyniy is definitely an eye-opener!

I'm surprised I hadn't started this thread myself. I'm going to Japan in 2 years, without a doubt in my mind. I'm finishing my english degree @ Ottawa U, and I too am considering getting additional qualifications (i.e. Tesol, or BA in education). I will undoubtably come back to continue my schooling, in which I hope to make enough dough to fund schooling and be able to at least rent a place.

I heard Japan is a hard place to make money, and it isn't the first time. I've checked out those teacher farm places you've mentioned, and I don't mind a lack of job security, I just hope they've got English papers.

I'm continually surprised by how many people here have done adventures overseas; I've already started to learn Japanese, so I figured I might as well follow suit. I might end up in Tokyo, anybody know the area there for cheap/good housing?

Again, do better quals translate into better pay? What is really, decent pay? Part of my purpose out there is to save money, mainly for the experience/sake.

Saonara!

Jyo-dan Yori

Hey Jordan, if you can get a spot in the JET program in Japan, you can make some decent dough. (And of course pick up privates on the sides). The only thing with the JET program is the application process is lengthy; like 8 months or more if I recall correctly. I remember I didn't apply to it cuz I wasn't prepared that far ahead of time.

i don't think it's hard to make money in japan.

i earned more there than here and for less work. i was there for a couple years and went to tons of concerts, etc. and lived downtown and saved around 20K to travel with. i have no idea how long it would take me to save 20K in canada, but i can't even imagine! i can barely even save for my taxes these days.

i didn't have any tesl or whatnot, and had a variety of jobs which ranged from 3000-10000 Yen per hour.

what kinda neighbourhood do you wanna live in JP? (i mean tokyo-wise)

if you want old-school style japan i'd recommend around the ueno area. i stayed in minowa for awhile. pretty cheap over there.

but other than that i lived in the spendiest parts of town where the action is. it's really not that much more expensive than here. the apts. are just smaller. if you go for ueno area you'll get more space for your buck than in western tokyo.

hope any of that helps. if you want to PM me with any other tokyo stuff feel free.