Jambands.ca

QotD 2007-03-29: Starting At The End?

bradm

You mean that bloated' date=' pretentious celebration of cocaine burnouts and egotistical, self-absorbed assholes?[/quote']

And the current music industry is different how?

And as I sit here, scratching myself, I can't help but wonder what your point has to do with anything I said about The Last Waltz.

Ha ha -- you're cranky.

actually Ollie I'm in a great mood today. Feel like smashing some golden idols. Feel so good I'm gonna break somebody's heart tonight. (thanks RT)

no, I mean that whole bloated 60's super-star culture circa the mid 1970's. The sense of self-important celebration - the strings, the horns, the mumbling interviews about how hard it is to be on the road (read: be fried on cocaine all day everyday), the whole trip. What used to awe me about this film I now find tiresome, shallow, trite.

And yeah, to a certain extent, I'd put Neil in there too. And I'm a huge fan. Doesn't mean his shaky, coke-boogered version of "Helpless" is good here though. I don't think it is. The harmonies are atrocious.

Don't take me too seriously folks, I know all those artists made great music before and after and occasionally during The Last Waltz. My tongue is slightly - not fully - but somewhat in my cheek when I type these things. And I'm sorry if I derailed the QOTD. Please continue with that. We can start another thread if we want to go further down the road I started, which I kind of regret.

Edited by Guest
Ollie drives me crazy sometimes.

You mean that bloated' date=' pretentious celebration of cocaine burnouts and egotistical, self-absorbed assholes?[/quote']

And the current music industry is different how?

And as I sit here, scratching myself, I can't help but wonder what your point has to do with anything I said about The Last Waltz.

Ha ha -- you're cranky.

Ok, I'll answer that. I was referring to your assertion that The Last Waltz showed how necessary punk was. Did punk really change any of what was so bad about the events portrayed in the film?

Edited by Guest
I've noticed. ;)

I was referring to your assertion that The Last Waltz showed how necessary punk was. Did punk really change any of what was so bad about the events portrayed in the film?

I'd always figured punk was more leveled at bands like Yes and Pink Floyd, though I do now see the point that the folks in the Last Waltz could have been in their sights too.

Not to say, of course, that a lot of punk didn't end up in the same sort of self-indulgent waters.

I'd always figured punk was more leveled at bands like Yes and Pink Floyd, though I do now see the point that the folks in the Last Waltz could have been in their sights too.

My take on it is that punk happened and slagging off the golden idols just made for great press.

no, I mean that whole bloated 60's super-star culture circa the mid 1970's. The sense of self-important celebration - the strings, the horns, the mumbling interviews about how hard it is to be on the road (read: be fried on cocaine all day everyday), the whole trip. What used to awe me about this film I now find tiresome, shallow, trite.

Perhaps these "end of the line" sentiments were atleast part of the reason why it was called/marketed as "The Last Waltz" in the first place. I think it would have been strange, perhaps sad, if some sort of celebratory event hadn't of taken place. The DVD is still one of my favourite collector's items. But then again, if the show had never occured, we wouldn't have to debate whether it was a good idea or mistake to attend it in the first place (even if it had been the first opportunity one had of ever having the chance to see The Band). If then were now, I would be there in a second!!! Bloated, highkicks and all.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure I would, for a few reasons. First, I might be taking up a spot that a dedicated fan could/would take, and since I doubt I'd get as much out of the show as a dedicated fan, I wouldn't want to deny that fan his/her enjoyment (and reward for dedication).

If he or she were that dedicated, he or she would already have a ticket!