Jambands.ca

QotD 2007-03-29: Starting At The End?

bradm

Assume you've been given a chance to go see a show by a (semi-)legendary band that's been around a while (years, decades, maybe) that you've heard of, but never really listened to.

The kicker is that it'll be the band's last show, and is being billed as such.

Would you go?

I'm not sure I would, for a few reasons. First, I might be taking up a spot that a dedicated fan could/would take, and since I doubt I'd get as much out of the show as a dedicated fan, I wouldn't want to deny that fan his/her enjoyment (and reward for dedication). Second, since I'm not that familiar with the band, I'm sure there'd be a bunch of stuff happening at the show that'd go right over my head. Finally, I'd be a little weirded out having my first (or near-first) experience of a band being my only experience of a band. I don't mind going to the last show of a band I've been listening to for a while (I went to Phish at Coventry, and was at nero NYE 2004/2005, for example), but a new-to-me band? What if I really dug them as a live act? Whoops, no more. :( I don't think I'm into that kind of "teasing" (for lack of a better phrase).

Aloha,

Brad

I always think it is better to regret having done the things you've done, rather than regretting not having done those things.

I can see this turning out such that you start listening to this band as a result of hearing about their last show, and then every time they come up in conversation forever saying, "Y'know, I almost saw them at their last show. I don't know what I was thinking. That was my chance, and it's gone now."

(I couldn't care less about taking up a spot more suited to a devoted fan.)

it depends...i guess i would go if i felt the music was something i could get into, and/or if i knew the show/band would be engaging for someone who'd never seen them before, and if it was convenient and affordable.

otherwise i agree with you bradm, i don't think i'd do it.

ps. in regards to this weekend though, even though this band may be semi-legendary (around here anyway), i'd never heard of them although perhaps have heard on the radio without realizing. so i don't have any dilemma.

Hmm... tough call. I think you're right about thinking twice before taking the seat from a full-on fan who would be getting everything that's going on. Then again, I think about my own recent good fortune of having caught Nero for my first and only time back in January when it seemed they would never have played again; sure, I'd love to be able to take in more nights of the same, but now whenever someone brings them up, I can count myself not entirely clueless about what's being referenced.

That said, I do suppose it depends on the scale of the event; catching the Who for the first time on one of their many final tours would be one thing, but smaller bands in smaller venues could be another.

I think about my own recent good fortune of having caught Nero for my first and only time back in January when it seemed they would never have played again; sure, I'd love to be able to take in more nights of the same, but now whenever someone brings them up, I can count myself not entirely clueless about what's being referenced.

yes! i am thankful for this one too.

Could you imagine if you had turned down a chance to see The Last Waltz?!?!

Exactly!

I have almost never regretted going to see live music. I've paid $15 cover, stayed for 1 song and left and didn't regret it. Something always moves me, whether it is the music, the crowd or just one person grooving out. (or one tasty lick) I've been to see bands that I never heard of and it turned out to be a favorite memory. One year after the Allman Brothers someone said, come out and see Nero and I didn't want too but all my drunken friends herded me there, I sure don't regret taking one their best fans' place if I did!

Edit to add: although it wasn't their last show, but if it was, I still wouldn't have regretted it!

Edited by Guest

Assume you've been given a chance to go see a show by a (semi-)legendary band that's been around a while (years, decades, maybe) that you've heard of, but never really listened to.

The kicker is that it'll be the band's last show, and is being billed as such.

Would you go?

I'd likely go even if it wasn't their last show. I sure wish I'd seen the Grateful Dead now, even if I wasn't so into them when Jerry was alive. Ditto Phish.

And really, to put this all in perspective, how many last shows have remanded the last show? Bands get back together. Reunion shows. Hell, people could even argue that the last Dave Clark gig was the last true Rheos gig.

Last seems so final, yet rarely is.

As for not going because you've never been a part of that scene, I say take it all, whenever you can get it cause you may not be around, let alone the band.

Could you imagine if you had turned down a chance to see The Last Waltz?!?!

You mean that bloated, pretentious celebration of cocaine burnouts and egotistical, self-absorbed assholes? I can imagine it. At least Dylan brought some humanity to the rest of those self-congratulatory be-suited scumbags. I say, Scorsese made a great film out of a sickening display of artifice. Seeing Van Morrison do high kicks in a leisure suit is both hilarious and frightening.

But hey, that's just me!

No wonder across the country CBGB's was brewing up the punk scene at exactly the same time. If anything The Last Waltz demonstrated why that HAD to happen, and thank God it did. Those fish were fried, take 'em off the fire.

imo. please, carry on.

You mean that bloated' date=' pretentious celebration of cocaine burnouts and egotistical, self-absorbed assholes?[/quote']

And the current music industry is different how?

And as I sit here, scratching myself, I can't help but wonder what your point has to do with anything I said about The Last Waltz.