Jambands.ca

Best 5.1 DVDs?

Rob Not Bob

Hey, there,

Through circumstances I still haven't figured out, I somehow managed to win a home theatre system at work. This 5.1 surround business is still new and exciting to me, and I was wondering if people could reccommend which DVDs make the most cool usage of 5.1 . Movies or concert films are both of interest.

Do you have a DTS option? DTS is normally better than 5.1, although both use 5 speakers.

Anyway, some of the best sounding movies I've ever heard are:

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, extended verions - DTS 6.1

The Kids Are Alright - DTS

Led Zeppelin - DTS (the double disc concert release from three years ago)

Monterey Pop Criterion Collection - DTS

Star Wars - both series are in 5.1 EX

Any Pixar movie, particularily Finding Nemo or The Incredibles

My Morning Jacket "Okonokos" - 5.1

I think another thing you have to know is that not all 5.1 and DTS audio sound better than the original audio track. Movies done in mono will often sound better in mono. You can't always force 5.1 into an original 2-channel stereo movie and make it sound good either. However, all DVD's offer audio options, so you can test the theory yourself.

One of the most memorable 5.1 surround sound expereinces I've had at home was watching the Band of Brothers DVD set. The bullets sounded like they were coming from behind me and it was just so realistic and frightening.

Oh and THE BEST expereince is The Beatles Love. Crank that ma fucker. B000JJS8TM.01._SL110_.jpg

Also check out on some of the torrent sites for some live shows that people have made into 5.1/DTS. There are some really good fan made DTS recordings out there.

I found this one a couple years back and the difference is amazing. Of course, I wouldn't say its equal to studio release quality, but it does surpass most other SBD and AUD recordings I have. Some folks do some amazing things with this stuff.

Grateful Dead

Hampton Coliseum

Hampton, VA

October 9, 1989

DTS-Audio-CD 5.1 Mix

Front Left Left Channel SBD: PCM (analog out) > DAT

Front Right Right Channel SBD: PCM (analog out) > DAT

Center Mono Mix -5db SBD: PCM (analog out) > DAT

Surround Left Left Channel FOB: Schoeps CMC641 > DAT

Surround Right Right Channel FOB: Schoeps CMC641 > DAT

Sub/LFE Mono Mix -4db SBD: PCM (analog out) > DAT

http://www.phishhook.com/view/details.php?recID=5376425

was that the system that BestBuy was selling cheap a couple of weeks ago??? $249 instead of $499 or something?

I ordered one, but was disappointed when I found out that only the European versions of the model were able to play DIVX files!!!! FUCK.

I promptly returned it. Other than that, it was a great little system for a smaller room.

I've got a bunch of albums that have been encoded in DTS 5.1 and some original Quad mixes that have been transferred to DTS. You just burn them to a CD and play them on a DTS capable player (like your new DVD machine). If you're interested, let me know and I can send you a bunch of them on a couple of DVDs.

I've got a bunch of albums that have been encoded in DTS 5.1 and some original Quad mixes that have been transferred to DTS. You just burn them to a CD and play them on a DTS capable player (like your new DVD machine). If you're interested, let me know and I can send you a bunch of them on a couple of DVDs.

Sounds cool, I will e-mail my home address.

Darkside in quad DTS is one of the most magical things I've heard, it's literally like puring liquid candy into your ears. I also have Wish You Were Here, Nashville Skyline and Allmans at the Fillmore in DTS. Actually I think I have a Beatles album too.

DTS surround is a great way to listen to music.

I wish I could find the Dead mixes, I think there is a DTS for Working mans dead, and American Beauty.

I have a Dave Matthews and Friends show that someone mixed into dts quad. It was pretty good, but I really had to tweak my surround settings to get it to sound half decent.

--edit--

I just found Headhunter and Graceland! Definitely look forward to listening to these two in surround. :o I anticipate Chameleon blowing my mind!

Edited by Guest

Headhunter is AWESOME in quad!!!

DTS and Quad are different. True QUAD was utilized in the 70s to record certain albums. Actually, it was a mixing format. Often the quad mixes of albums differed slightly from their stereo counterparts. You needed a special receiver and speaker setup to enjoy the full effect. Four sources for sound separated from 2 tracks.

DTS is a way of mixing 6 discrete channels (l,r, rl, rr, centre, sub) Some are done at the mixing level from the master multi-track recordings. A lot of people are making their own 5.1 mixes with computer software. Many of these sound like shit, but a lot are pretty damn good. THey are done from stereo sources and not "true" 5.1 mixes.

I didn't get a chance to compile a list of the ones I have, but I'll try again tonight when i'm at home.

The Grateful Dead mixes you are talking about are another type of 5.1 mix called DVD AUDIO. With DVD AUDIO there is NO compression. DTS, however, has compression elements introduced to the mix (kind of like comparing an MP3 to FLAC) Workingman's and American Beauty are INCREDIBLE. It's like the band is playing right in front of you. Each player getting their own speaker in front with crazy rhythm and fill coming in at you from all sides.

You have to make sure that your DVD player can play DTS (all new ones do know) otherwise the DTS CDs sound like static :)

Edited by Guest

Here's a question... is there a way to convert dts encoded data to ac-3 encoding? I suppose DTS is the norm for these quad rips because the compression quality is better for music than ac-3?

The reason I ask is that my current receiver only understands pcm and ac-3, and my dvd player doesn't have a built-in decoder.

I suppose the computer can do the DTS decoding work though so maybe it's a non-issue