Jambands.ca

Good places to camp in Southern Ontario

captainsunshine

I'm looking for suggestions on good camping spots in Southern Ontario..

I'm looking for somewhere I can camp in beauty and peace, with little to no disturbances from the outside.. (not a campground)

I know that in the US, any National Forest is game to camp, as long as you comply with the fire level warnings.. I'm not familiar with the rules and stuff of Canada.. Are there Protected National Forests? Is it open camping? Do I need to notify park rangers, etc.?

I'm really looking for a variety of places of beauty and nature to explore, since I'm not from around here..

I've been searching on-line, but haven't found much information, I just thought some of you might know of different resources or have first-hand experience camping anywhere..

I live in Burlington, and I'm really looking for places no longer than a 4-5 hour drive away..

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, all!

:)

Go north to the crownland.

We did 7 weeks (3 yrs ago) in this sweet area just south of North Bay and never saw a single person on the lake we camped. No road access, no cottages or cottagers no anything but lake and good fishing and pure solitude.

there some cown land where I go camping up by Port Severn. Highway 400 exit at Georgain Bay Rd , there a parking lot off the on ramp south.

The lake is called McCray Lake. There a website friends of McCray lake. You need a canoe but there are walking trails in. There`s a Swift canoe rental on the way.

Yup, Kanada Kev's suggestion of the Bruce Trail is a good one. Particularly if you're into spectacular hiking. Cypress Lake is nice and has access to some beautiful amenities, but it gets pretty busy.

Cape Croker Native Reserve is a better choice if you're looking for something relatively more quiet. It is located just north of Wiarton. If you're interested in this PM me, and I can give you details as well as recommendations of sites, hiking trails and eats to check out. If you're into scuba diving the Bruce Peninsula is the place to be (particularly Tobermory). They also have boat rentals, fishing charters, etc, etc.

Ontario is full of gems. Even within a relatively short distance drive. We're quite fortunate actually. Kilbear is also a nice park. Awenda is nice. All of these parks including Killarny surround GEorgian Bay.

Further south, the Long Point area is absolutely beautiful as well. But it can get busy.

Edited by Guest

Jaimoe, you dont even own a fucking tent and you HATE camping!

I've been camping every summer since I met Vicki, which is seven years. Just two years ago I camped at the Fundy National Park and then I went to the Cavendish National Park on P.E.I.. I have a tent, sleeping bags, air-matress, portable stove and BBQ. Coolers au plenty too. Sounds like I camp eh?

I spent 3 months canoe tripping in Algonquin Park one summer. I'd highly recommend it. There's a highway that runs through the park (Highway 60 I think?) that has the most access points from it - and near these you'll find the most people.

If you want the most isolation, it would depend on how far you're willing to portage/paddle away from these access points. The farther you get from them, the less likely you are to run into folks. From my experience, most people (weekend type campers) do 2-3 day loops near these areas.

If you have a lot of time, the other suggestion I would have is starting from access points in the NE section of the park. I always found those areas to have the least amount of people near them.

Beauuutiful lakes and campsites up there!! If you decide to go there, let me know and I can suggest specific lakes and even sites -- I'll dig up my old map I used that summer.

Enjoy!

I've lived in Ontario about 10yrs now and thought I had seen alot of areas but you guys have brought up a great bunch of well, MORE..ha

I'm so excited to explore alot of these areas you all have mentioned here,Thankyou !!! the best part is I get to do it with the captain :)

McCrae's Lake, just a little North of Barrie. Crown property, you have to canoe or hike to get into the camping spots. If you go to the lower lake, you don't hear any traffic. There's great cliff diving there (from 2ft up to 80ft!!) Beware of the rapids though, meaning don't send your canoe down them, canoes tend to break over those.