Jambands.ca

Another Bluesfest Item....

AD

I love Bluesfest, but here's yet another issue that should be addressed to make it even better.

Bluesfest has a "full recycling policy" forcing vendors to only use recyclable and biodegradable containers... but no recycling bins are present on-site so everything ends up in the garbage anyway.

what the hell? the food we got came in big styrofoam containers. pretty sure those aren't recyclable.

Was it real polystyrene, though? There are a lot of substitute products these days that look and feel like polystyrene but are actually made of other, recyclable materials.

I actually know of one company based in Thailand that makes "plastic" plates and utensils, as well as supermarket-style trays out of tapioca, of all things. Everything is 100% recyclable. I think the company will be huge one day...

The recycling coordinator specifically said he can't ask volunteers to dig through garbage - i guess some are really committed. And yes, there are glass and plastic bins but the biodegradable plates and bowls vendors were forced to buy have nothing to send them to the composter.

Was it real polystyrene, though? There are a lot of substitute products these days that look and feel like polystyrene but are actually made of other, recyclable materials.

hmmm, i dunno! i hope it was something recyclable, i didn't know about these styrofoam substitutes.