Jambands.ca

The Police in MTL - pics

Booche

What a great show. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Stewart was facking kicking it all night, the Andy showcases were spectacular and Stings voice was surprisingly strong. I may try and get tickets to see them in Toronto in November if the current trend of cheap finds continues.

All the crowd pleasing tunes/moments were my least favorite. Like Phishtaper said in the TO thread, its all about the dark side of the Police. Wrapped Around Your Finger elicited a great emotional response from me and I had never really cared for that song. Great version.

Fantastic stage, energized crowd and a night full of wonderful songs that I loved as a kid. Immediately prior to them taking the stage, the house lights came down and Bob Marley's Get Up Stand Up came blasting through the PA, which got everyone out of their seats. I had been a touch worried this might be a sitdown affair but the band did it right and made me think Ottawa's Bluesfest should try something similar before each artist's set.

2005176149725335402_fs.jpg

2005176379726891367_fs.jpg

2005106881389157191_fs.jpg

2005165250714701144_fs.jpg

2005136122025833214_fs.jpg

2005188427570504297_fs.jpg

2005150255011923591_fs.jpg

I wasn't expecting much. I never trust my memories of events that I've participated in that I was either drunk, on mushrooms or acid on. So my expectations were low going into this show. 25 years is a long time. And when Baggage Control or Friction Dud opened up I was worried..was this a sign to come...

Well fuck me.

It was great. I had totally forgotten what a amazing trio they were way back when, and still are. Why- they could have legends- like Peter Tosh or the Talking Heads open up for them and still be the group at the end of the evening-- that everyone talked about.

That- when you go through all the bullshit of pop stardom and that it entails and surrounds Sting- they are three great musicians who have written some of the best music of their generation. And add that they can play for two hours and have 19000 people on their feet wanting more in their 50's--speaks volumes about the body of work and the act.

They don't make em this way anymore- all apoligies to Green Day fans..One of the best arena shows I've seen.

And thanks to Mike for the ebay tip. The tickets cost me 91 bucks. 91 bucks for TWO- 95 Bucks tickets. Scalp THAT.

Legends.

found on the web

Sting Gets His Brain Watched

Between his two sold-out shows in Montreal this week, Sting got his brain watched. Not washed, but watched.

Scientists at McGill University invited the rocker to come over and have his brain analyzed at the world-famous McConnell Brain Imaging Centre. Essentially, they put the subject through an MRI while they play different kinds of music for him or her. Then the pictures are studied to see responses.

The scientists might have been better off, though, studying the Police's first show at Montreal's Bell Center on Wednesday night. In all my years of attending rock concerts, this group of 19,000 fans had to have been the loudest ever.

During "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," the audience literally scream-sang the lyrics with such ferocity that it felt like my ears were burning. Guitarist Andy Summers agreed. After the show he said he had never heard any audience at such a high pitch.

The Police show in Montreal showed a huge jump from the last time I saw the group at the Staples Center in Los Angeles about six weeks ago. They have re-gelled since then, and now many of the infelicities of the early reunion have disappeared.

Though all three members of the group are still quite independent-minded, they have managed to find a middle ground. Even "Roxanne," a song we have all heard a million times, was so good it gave me goose bumps.

What remains astonishing about The Police show is that it's just three musicians — Sting, Summers and Stewart Copeland. Sting sings for two solid hours without any backup or augmentation. There are no additional musicians and nothing be added to by a computer. It's kind of a remarkable feat and all the more so when you realize they have nothing to fall back on.

Before the show, a funny thing happened: The group's manager, Kathy Schenker, was approached in restaurant Bonaparte, in Montreal's old village, by a middle-aged couple.

"I'm the real police," the man said.

He turned out to be Bill Corcoran, police chief in Ridgewood, N.J. He and his wife were on vacation and couldn't get tickets to the show.

Schenker quickly went into action and hooked the Corcorans up with her office in New York. Presumably all went well, and now the rock Police are square with the real police if they ever get to Ridgewood.

Meanwhile, Montreal turns out to be a hot town right now. Opus Hotel from Vancouver has just opened a branch there of its boutique operation, with very cool black, grey and silver rooms and a bar area that's quickly attracted a young, beautiful crowd.

Opus has imported its Vancouver manager Daniel Craig, no relation to James Bond, to get the place up and running. Vive Opus!

The Police next turn to Fenway Park on Saturday night, where they have another sold out show. They finally arrive in New York on Wednesday, for two shows at Madison Square Garden and a finale on Aug. 5 at Giants Stadium.

So far their set list hasn't changed, but it would be swell if they added "Spirits in the Material World" or "Synchronicity" to the already dazzling group of songs.